• 2119 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4698 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned A better way to handle players who build inappropriate builds?

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Dan1el, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Hey everyone. So, after playing a couple of games of Master Builders, I noticed how easy it is to just build something inappropriate, and get away with it. It takes just a few seconds to see a build in Master Builders after a new build will be shown, and by the time you report this build to a staff member, the build would be gone.

So in order for the staff member to ban this player, he/she would need to follow the player in the next game, and it would take a much longer time.

And I know that we can record it, and send on the forums, but not everyone has the possibility to do this. My idea is, to have some kind of way that the players who are playing Master Builders can click on something that says: Report this build, as it is on -snip-. If a certain amount of players vote for an inappropriate build, maybe this player could get banned or warned somehow. Do you guys know what -snip- has? I would like to see something like this.

I was kind of in a rush when I wrote this because I had to go, but I hope you guys see where I'm coming from tho! :)

EDIT :

I see that most of you guys have said that people may abuse this feature, and it would lead to punishing innocent players, and I understand the concern about this. But, I also read an idea from @Dallarth, which I think could be a good solution to it. The idea is, that you can only report an inappropriate build once, and when a certain amount of players have reported the same build, the player would be kicked. (Make sure to read @Dallarth's reply)

But overall, it's nice to see that you guys agree with a better system to report inappropriate builds!

Thank you for reading, have an awesome day!

Posted Jan 14, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 15, 2020
  2. Hmm an interesting concept.

it would be nice to have a mechanism so that players don’t have to rely on staff to ban a player for building something inappropriate. The suggestion that is proposed here can be slightly problematic. Although the intentions are good that players can simply report the build and have an auto ban attached onto it, it would almost certainly be abused. Particularly, in the event that a build is much better than the others and others may want to eliminate them from the game by auto banning or kicking a player. Secondly, a group of people can troll the entire game by reporting each build.

In retrospect, without a manual decision maker on what is inappropriate or not, in my view, there shouldn’t be a mechanism where majority rules to get someone out of a BLD game

Posted Jan 14, 2020
  3. Hey there!

This system actually used to be a thing in the past, believe it or not. It seemed good at first, a reasonable way to report a player quickly, but it was removed at some point because of the amount of false kicks from the game.

Even with your implementation of making sure more than one player has to vote for it, groups of people can all just get someone removed 'for the lols' and that would not be fair to that player.

Because of that huge red flag, I'll have to give this a -1 because with the system it was before and the system you are recommending, the chances of falseness are too high.

Posted Jan 14, 2020
  4. Hey there! I agree that the idea does sound really good on paper. Unfortunately players using this to troll by false kicking another players is just another way people who do build in appropriate builds can mess with people and even combat people who will report them.

An example of this is: Hypothetically there is a group of people trolling in master builders and someone else tells them they are going to get reported or that what they are doing is against the rules. The group of trolls could simply kick the legitimate players out of the games they play.

Once again, the concept is there and the intention is good, however I don’t see this being added to the server. But I must give credit where credit is due and ideas like this are what benefit the server, so I’m glad to see people actively giving suggestions and feedback!

Posted Jan 14, 2020
  5. I really do like this idea you have come across. As Mineplex is a family-friendly server it is unreasonable to have such an easy way to create inappropriate creations. So, this idea you have come across is definitely one to take a look into, in my opinion.

Now there are some issues though with implementing this system due to the problem of some players abusing this privilege. In my opinion, it would be a very bad idea to let every community member in master builders, etc. to have the privilege to ban or warn a player. There is a reason only so many individuals are trusted with these punishment options and it is because not everyone is mature enough to use them. So what I am trying to say is with this implementation it would be very unreasonable to ban or warn on the spot since there could be players doing it to abuse or "troll." Instead maybe if enough players use this button then an alert can be sent off to the team so we can take a look into it.

Overall I really do like this idea, but there are definitely somethings that need a few tweaks since some players like to abuse. Still, Thank You so much for the idea and I hope this gets looked into as it seems to be heading towards the right direction!

Posted Jan 14, 2020
    Dan1el likes this.
  6. I've had a similar idea for a while now, and I haven't gotten to posting about it, but what if it were similar to bedrock edition. On bedrock there's a book in your inventory in which if you see and inappropriate you use that instead of building. My thought is, if you use the book to vote on a build, it saves the build, so staff can possibly go back and look at it later. I don't know how the bedrock version works though, so that was just my idea.

The problem with your current idea, is that people could abuse your system, lets say there was a party of 5 people on master builders, and they just voted inappropriate on a build so that they would be kicked from the game or banned, that would be bad and just wrong. I bet many other people have ideas to improve yours, and I'm sure many people come across these bad builds as I can almost never go through a game that's completely clean and appropriate.

Posted Jan 14, 2020
  7. This is an idea that I have definitely seen in practice before on Minecraft and it has panned out in many different ways depending on where it is applied. Often its effectiveness depends on the size of the server and the playerbase that exists on it, which are factors that are not always controlled by the network itself.

Almost everyone who's replied to this thread has outlined the main issue in regards to this concept, but so will I just for the record. I'm sure you're aware that it's very easy to pass judgement on someone else, even when it's over a computer screen as actions and words can often be misinterpreted. I'm saying this to help you understand that often it isn't fair to target someone based on how they come across in-game and this is what many players do. It leads to biased opinions and this is what would cause players to abuse the privilege of being able to potentially get somebody removed from the game by reporting their build. Power must be handled carefully and it is not difficult for groups of people to use it for the wrong reasons.

That was assuming that there was sound intent behind it all. Sadly this isn't always the case, and people may simply choose not to favor another because they demonstrate a higher level of skill than them. This, or, the player is already widely regarded as one that is not liked. This does not often occur but it's included just to ensure everything has been covered. Sometimes it is fair that they are not liked but how does this affect their skill shown in creating the build? It doesn't, however players will still exploit the option.

I don't think it's essential to go over any other underlying reasons why this idea might not be the best, as I'm sure the primary one has been described enough. If you played Minecraft on the Xbox or PS4, there was a similar system in place for a snowball fight minigame that was removed shortly after and this reason was in play a lot of the time. Don't worry, it would be very possible to look at it from other angles if there were some changes made here, so don't think the concept behind it all isn't up to scratch. Keep the thinking going!

Posted Jan 14, 2020
  8. I definitely like the thought here. I go through a lot of Staff Reports and Forum Reports that include BLD offences which prove your point that it is very problematic.

At the moment, the only real system we have is that it tells us who built the build before the builder is shown to the public, this means that we have a slightly larger chance of finding rule-breakers here but not as much! What I might propose is rather than a vote-kick feature that we could maybe do something like a save schematic of the build if say 70% report the build or something and then it could just be somehow saved in a world and staff using a report could go to it? It sounds very challenging to do and maybe not so beneficial so I'm not sure how good this would be overall!

Posted Jan 14, 2020
    510bike likes this.
  9. I never really liked the concept of letting random people whose judgement I don’t really care for vote on my builds, If players in master builders were fair voters I wouldn’t think that way but that’s not the case, Unless master builders is reworked that’ll never change, and there’s really no way to fix that unfortunately...

But that’s alright because master builders is still a fun game to play despite the unfair voting which is why it’s sad that there are so many people going on master builders just to make inappropriate builds :/

If I’m not mistaken though unranked players have access to /a but only ranked players have access to /report

What if mineplex implemented a way where ranked players can report a inappropriate build and staff members can go check out that inappropriate build at any time?

Posted Jan 14, 2020
  10. What about if you get enough reports, a copy of the build is made with a sign stating the user’s name/IP. That way you could have a non-staff-ish way of reporting a build

EDIT: sorry I didn’t see the comment above this.

Posted Jan 15, 2020
  11. Interesting idea.
    Like mentioned above, it could be problematic. The system could easily be abused by potential parties of troll reporters, which would result it false punishments being issued. Although I do support community members who are trying to help out by reporting rule-breakers, I don't believe it's the best idea to let a punishment be dictated by people who aren't responsible for moderation. Also, in some cases, builds can be "on the fence" so to speak. I've seen this situation a couple times. A build may seem inappropriate by looking at it at first glance, but it may be too vague to warrant a punishment. That's something we can't expect people who aren't responsible for enforcing the rules to be able to handle.

I wouldn't mind seeing an alternative to this suggestion though. I like what @Oscaros_ said about having a schema for builds that are reported by the majority of people in the game. Then staff members will be able to review the evidence without having to wait for a forum report. Another possibility would be to have an automatic alert sent out to all online staff members when the majority of people in a game report a build as inappropriate. A staff member who decides to look at the alert sent to them could be automatically sent to the server which would hopefully allow them to see the inappropriate build in time.

I do like the idea overall. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing an improvement in our efficiency for master builders moderation.

Posted Jan 15, 2020
    Oscaros_ and BreadIV like this.
  12. Heyo!
    I totally agree! There should really be like a new option in /report that states, this report is for "Inappropriate Builds" etc... A great idea, as I too have had this moment in either master builders and even speed builders! But like @510bike stated, there could be troll parties, and all just /report one player for a legitimate build. I would definitely want to see this implemented, as it's just plain wrong and ruins the whole concept of keeping mineplex clean. +0.5 as this idea could get out of hand! I look forward to reading other people's opinions and seeing if I change my mind after reading them!
    Cheers!
    ~Sean

Posted Jan 15, 2020
    Dan1el likes this.
  13. Master Builders is definitely one of the harder game modes to catch rule breakers in, as a staff member would need to be present in order to view the build for themselves, or another player would have to report them on the forums, which is unrealistic to expect every player to do. I would agree that there needs to be some sort of system in place to further help with punishing players who build inappropriately, however I'm not sure if this idea specifically would be the best option in it's current state. As many people have already mentioned, this system could be abused to intentionally incorrectly warn/punish innocent players by groups of players. Although this may not happen very often, it is still a potential risk and not something that we want to happen. Also as @510bike mentioned, players may legitimately believe a build is inappropriate when in reality it may be insufficient or perhaps just a low quality build.

If players were only able to report another player once, perhaps a potential solution could be to be implement a system that only punishes a player once they reach say, 20 reports by other players in total, this number is just an example. If we made it so that reports carry over from games, then I believe it would greatly minimise the risk of the player being reported falsely as the player would be in a game with a brand new set of players (who could still report falsely, but I believe it would be unlikely). Once the threshold of total reports on the player has been met, it could then apply a punishment. This obviously has it's risks and downsides too, but it was just a small idea.

Overall, I like the premise of this idea but I think some changes would need to be put in place before it could be implemented. For now I'll give this idea a + 0.5. Keep the ideas coming!

Posted Jan 15, 2020
    Worpp and Dan1el like this.

14. Great suggestion, and thank you for the feedback! :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 15, 2020
  15. I've updated my post about the concern about abuse :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 15, 2020
  16. Ahh just saw that now!

Posted Jan 15, 2020
  17. As @510bike has summed it up pretty nicely, I'll only add a couple more things. IF this system was implemented with the alert to all Staff Members, they would have about 5 seconds max to get over there. Maybe Staff Members should be able to TP to any build? That would solve the problem of not enough time.

+0.5

Posted Jan 15, 2020
    Sean ✩ likes this.
  18. Yeah that should hit the sweet spot of this idea

Posted Jan 15, 2020
    SpyNinja__ likes this.
  19. Hey!
    I do like the idea, I have been in one too many games that half of the builds were inappropriate ones...
    And I can see how putting it to a vote would work, so that way innocent people don't get punished for something they didn't do.
    But if it was also restricted to players that have at least a base level rank it might not be so easily abused,
    by this I mean that the Ranked players can only initiate it.

It's a +1 for me on this!

Posted Jan 16, 2020
    Dan1el likes this.
  20. Hi there!

I understand where you're coming from on this; however, it is not something that we currently want to reimplement that this time. You mention that this feature could easily be abused, and that is what we are afraid of if we decide to put this into place. Staff members already have a way when playing the game for moderation purposes, but we do not want to make it so the players can report each other and get kicked from the game. Even if you could only vote once, it is still too easy to be abused. For that reason, I'll be marking this as not planned. Let me know if you have any questions/concerns about this.

Posted Feb 2, 2020