• 384 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5930 Players Online
  • 5546 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

a proposal for in-game mute durations

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Thenorn, Jul 30, 2021.

1. According to the newest information that I am aware of, the durations for first-time offenders are as follows:

severity 1: 12 hours
    severity 2: 7 days
    severity 3: 30 days
    severity 4: permament

I propose this to stay the same, although for repeating offenders, doubling their future mute lengths (or whatever way the system works right now) indefinitely until they stop is unfair to people who spend a lot of time on the server who end up accumulating minor infractions over a significant amount of time.

therefore, I propose that for every 3 months (or any similar time duration), one punishment is no longer counted towards the duration of the next mute, so if a past 8-time offender doesn't break the rules for two years, all their mutes from 2+ years ago won't count towards an unnecessarily long mute that often happens on accident for people who spend a lot of time on the server. This won't count for repeated rule breakers (who in truth are the biggest problem) and will only have a very slight increase in chat offences as a result, and an overall better experience for long-time players as the intended benefit of this suggestion.

in practice - instead of someone getting a 50 day sev 2 mute out of the blue after not breaking the rules for year, they'd only get about half of the duration or less, not as a 'reward' but as compensation for the time they spent genuinely abiding by the rules

Posted Jul 30, 2021
  2. Mutes in my opinion should not have a change because afterall the rule breakers must deserve their punishment for breaking rules. If they repeat doing so they should be punished for longer and longer time.

Posted Jul 30, 2021
    FoxyStorm likes this.
  3. While I agree with this also, it starts to get tricky when we're talking about someone active that has had a spotless record for the last 2 years but a plethora of punishments before that, and then they get muted again. Personally, I think that after a certain (long) timeframe, the system should work like how @tenorj suggested -- a punishment is no longer valid and will not contribute to the time of the next punishment of the same severity. People change a lot over the years so while we should keep punishing those who's behaviour has not changed, it is unfair to hold the past against somebody who's has. If we don't do that really when accepting people for staff, why should the server do it automatically? People do change their behaviour, we should support that.

imo, couple month long mutes should not happen unless the player keeps getting muted, one mute after another. Becoming muted for Spam in 2021 for 50 days after a relatively clean slate because in 2015 you got like 10 mutes for mini-modding and additional mutes for other offenses shouldn't count. Speaking of mini-modding, what tenorj is suggesting would also work in the sense that any past punishments that are no longer rules won't really be held against you in the system anymore - things like mini-modding of course, bypassing "hypixel", hackusating...etc.

Posted Jul 30, 2021,
    Last edited Jul 30, 2021
    Thenorn likes this.
  4. I actually disagree because what Thenorn actually said was

"Therefore, I propose that for every 3 months (or any similar time duration), one punishment is no longer counted towards the duration of the next mute"

Three months is way too short of time for a punishment to not be added. That's basically like saying "If you got punished for a severity 2 offense, you'll have to wait 3 months to apply to be staff."

Posted Jul 30, 2021,
    Last edited by a Moderator Jul 30, 2021
  5. I don't necessarily agree with the three months either, although I do with the general idea. I think a year is a good amount of time.

Posted Jul 30, 2021
  6. the time duration is arbitrary, I can understand why 6 months or even a year would be more acceptable though. if we look at the punishment record of someone who only gets sev 2 mutes, according to my memory it should go like this: 7 days, 14 days, 28 days, 56 days and so on. say if there are 4 sev 2 mutes, with a longer 'cooldown' period of 6 months, another sev 2 mute after more than a year wouldn't be 112 days, but 28 days instead. 84 days is a lot of time.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 30, 2021
  7. I would agree, I think that after a while mutes should not stack.
    However, I think it should only be for if a person has not done anything for the duration, so that if someone is repeatedly breaking a rule, old ones will continue to stsck.

Posted Jul 30, 2021
    Thenorn likes this.
  8. yep, that's what the suggestion is, if someone does break a rule within that period of time there is no reduction

OP OP
    CatFan105 likes this.
  9. 9h
    Then yeah I agree

Posted Jul 30, 2021
  10. I'm still not a fan of this idea because the problem with this idea is that it will encourage more people to break the rules. If you half a punish mute length to half after 1 year of no punishment, this will get to the point of where a number of year will just reset it back down to 7 days

Posted Jul 30, 2021,
    Last edited by a Moderator Jul 30, 2021
  11. it will be difficult to erase *all* the previous ones but tbh for an accidental filter bypass, I'd definitely rather have a returning / now-rule-abiding player get 7 or 14 days than 56 days (plus if they continue, lengths will stack once again so it's only a one-time opportunity really)

OP OP