• 3190 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 12494 Players Online
  • 9304 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned A Tiny Website Critique

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by ArcaneMage, Apr 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Good day. If you're reading this, I hope you're doing well.

Mineplex is a fantastic server, and this new website is amazing as well. Kudos to the developers for doing such an amazing job.

I am only requesting one tiny critique if possible:

As a Canadian citizen, I have been raised to spell a couple of words differently than how other cultures spell them. E.g. favorite, in Canada, is actually spelled as, "Favourite." And color, in Canada, is actually spelled as, "Colour."

The reason I'm bringing this up is due to the website's spelling correction system (or at least I believe it's the website's system).

In the past, I have applied for staff, and when I decided to use the word, "favourite," it had put a squiggly red line underneath the word, just as it is doing for me right now, and seeing that brought me a lot of stress, thinking that any staff viewing it may have thought I had spelling errors, when really that's just how it's spelt in Canada. When I clicked on the correction suggestion tab, it mentioned I should correct the word to, "favorite." I know this sounds ridiculous, but I just couldn't do it. Because of how I've always spelled that word, it just seemed so wrong when I corrected it to that.

So, the critique I'd like to see is a possible Canadian spelling and grammar checker implemented on to the website, which I know there are already multiple programs for.

If there already is one on this website and it just isn't working for me, please let me know how to enable it down below in the reply section.

And Heads Up!
    It has nothing to do with my computer settings. It does not do this for me on any other website or platform.
    If there is a computer setting to enable one myself for this website, please let me know.

Posted Apr 4, 2020
  2. Hey!
    As another Canadian, I too have noticed this. I'm honestly not sure if it has something to do with the website's grammar checker however, if possible I would love to see this idea implemented. I personally feel that this would be wonderful as a small QoL update to the forums. Whenever this happens to me, I normally just hit ignore, or add to dictionary and this seems to have worked for me. Overall, I agree that this is not a major issue, but I would love to see the grammar checker be updated so this issue wouldn't occur. +0 from me.

Posted Apr 5, 2020
    xGetRekted likes this.
  3. Heyo!

I am from England and it does the same for us since we spell them the same way you do. I do believe there could be an option where we could select what type of English the website uses, however I don't think it's really necessary. It's not a huge issue and most people can simply over look it, this would require a QoL change/update which will take some time to do and most players can simply overlook it. I'll be giving this a 0 since I would like it to happen but don't think it needs to happen since it's not a huge problem.

Posted Apr 5, 2020
    Wiz2K and xGetRekted like this.
  4. Same for UK citizens like me.

Posted Apr 5, 2020
    Infui and KerbalBoy like this.
  5. Totally agree here. I, too, am from England and I get the same thing. I agree with @Wolfayy because I don't really think it's necessary, however it would be a nice change to see implemented. So, 0.

Posted Apr 5, 2020,
    Last edited Apr 5, 2020
  6. The fix would seem to be us adding in another English language for UK/Canada people.
    https://gyazo.com/fc2c51a8c2570744fb0c85033bee899d

I know right now the website is in the process of adding a bunch of languages that our TT (Translations Team) is able to handle. I personally don't think it would be too much of a hassle to add and our TT might be able to translate it themselves and help out with this. Of course, I will double-check if we would be willing to add it in in the first place.

Posted Apr 5, 2020
    IvanProvorov, xWand and Wiz2K like this.
  7. To add on to the above points,

Staff are aware of our different spellings and word usage as it's different in a variety of countries. The staff team has members from a variety of countries. Just as an example, "trash" and "rubbish" are used frequently, except separately in different areas of the world. A lot of people are aware these words mean the same thing but obviously have their preference based on where they live and what they hear most. This applies to so many other things, including spelling. You will not be criticized for this (unless you're using complete slang and it's messy and not easy to understand for a vast majority, especially in an application scenario.), so please don't be too stressed about it.

Unless it's major or doesn't make sense at all or occurs multiple times in an answer, this shouldn't affect you. They will take into consideration where you're from and these little details if they're obvious in the application. If you find that you're denied for something like this, definitely take it up with Recruitment as that is not fair and is a legitimate variation of other words/spellings. They will provide you with further insight on how to improve if something is genuinely wrong and will point out what was wrong. You can also discuss this further with them if you think that it's unjust because it is a valid spelling or whatever it may be.

I'm really sorry if this is messy or unclear, I'm very tired at the moment. I may edit this later.

Posted Apr 5, 2020
  8. We're going to mark this as not planned.
    This is marked as not planned because it's actually something you yourself can fix. Assuming you're using windows 10, just look up "language" in the search bar and it should take you to language settings. From there, click "add preferred language" and choose the one that says "English (Canada)". This should fix those red lines you're seeing under your words. We also don't feel it's necessary to add a Canada/UK English to the website for now because of how close it is to normal English.

Message me with questions or concerns.

Posted Apr 7, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.