• 1537 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9975 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Add a new section for “unofficial announcements”

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by coralines, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Simple as that. We currently don’t have access to any “unofficial announcements” such as Trainee announcements or team promotions / senior team promotions - basically any promotion that doesn’t come from higher ups.

With a simple section where team leads (who are not necessarily leaders) can post about new promotions, the community can still keep up to date with internal changes, without stalking specific walls daily.

Examples could be recent promotions to Newsletter, Ideas Team etc.. not everyone knows who got promoted and people still want to know about it.
    Even with applications opening to community members, it would be nice if we could keep up to date with those too.

Posted Sep 16, 2018
  2. Although this would be a good idea I feel like it could result in a few people getting demoted because of the Staff Policy's set in place for what can and can't go out publically, therefore, I am going to just stay neutral with this post.

(psst may i ask how did you get into user subteams)

Posted Sep 16, 2018
  3. I'd be a huge +1 for this along with cora. I'd love to see new team-members who are accepted so we can congratulate them as well as Trainees and Mods.

I doubt people are going to be demoted for this, this is due to releasing people being on sub-teams when announced isn't breaking our staff policy. I can't be specific but I can confirm sharing information which players can freely view and find out is allowed - so sub-team announcements would be fine as long as they're not leaked before meant to be announced. Also to join sub-teams you can apply, for example the Translations Team application is here.

Posted Sep 16, 2018
  4. The sub-team announcements would not get them removed (depending on policies that may or may not be team specific) in all honesty if it was checked before release (f.e. the XenForo quarantine option [so it requires approval before being public])

NOTE: I found out from prowling around the support page, thanks.

Posted Sep 16, 2018
  5. Interesting idea, I wouldn't mind having this but I do have a counter suggestion, one that has actually already happened. It would be cool to see a group with this, and I found one last night; https://xen.mineplex.com/groups/mineplex-announcements.118/ Pretty much does what the forum section would do, I'm fine with this but as I said I wouldn't mind a forum section.

Posted Sep 16, 2018
    SomeRqndomName and coralines like this.
  6. I definitely agree with adding something like this. While groups such as MP Announcements do exist, it's not official and only includes a very small proportion of the community as most people wouldn't be aware of its existence (I wasn't until reading @DiamondBudderAxe's post and I've spent countless hours on here since its release). If an official section was in place it would also be better suited for the trainee announcements, instead of them being posted in the server discussion section which it isn't the most suited for them. As you said, this would also be super helpful for sub-team promotions as currently you only really see them on people's profiles/walls which a lot of people miss out on. I'm a big fan of centralising it in one area as it'd make accessing this information a lot easier.

Posted Sep 17, 2018
    FireStar, GUNZxNxROSEZ and coralines like this.

7. It’s not a demotion-worthy post since
    1. Staff have always done this in the past on their own walls, including team leaders.
    2. Team leaders (who can be Mods, Senior Mods etc) are the ones who select who gets inside the team, so they should be allowed to express the selected candidates.

While it’s a momentary fix that I support and like, it’s still not run by someone who is in charge of every subteam, meaning as soon as that person stops posting updates / resigns / Mineplex decides they don’t want that group on the forums, we are basically back to the start. Having a specific section where a handful of people have access to in terms of creating threads would guarantee prompt threads with promotions, accuracy in the information provided and reliability for the community members.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 17, 2018
    FireStar and DiamondBudderAxe like this.
  8. I dont think a dedicated section is needed tbh. Similar issues arise if it was done as a community group. It really comes down to who posts those. I think if we have an official group and have few mods in there, they should be able to get the job done. I've seen plenty of staff members posting promotion updates on their enjin wall before.

Posted Sep 20, 2018
  9. I agree with this as well. I mean, if the Ideas Discussion forum as their own Announcement sub-forum, there should be an "Unofficial Announcements" (like cora explained) under "Server Information" and both announcements would be put into here.

The way they were announced on Enjin won't be close to how they'll be announced here, in regards to BBCODE and making it look fancy.

This unofficial announcement sub-forum can be used for Trainee announcements the way @FireStar used here: https://www.mineplex.com/threads/new-staff-members-september-15th-2018.2878 or it can be used for any application changes for the public to be made aware of. I'll be honest, I rather see these type of announcements be made public in this forum than see it on a wall or have to join a group just to give my feedback/discuss.

Posted Sep 20, 2018,
    Last edited Sep 20, 2018
  10. With the current website, it’s close to impossible to keep track of promotions unless you’re staff and you get notifications on Slack. By having notifications for this section (aka watching it), we would be able to constantly have a reliable source of information. But currently, it is in no way possible to keep track of anything, especially wall posts, since the whole “social media” aspect has been removed.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 20, 2018
  11. I just read this now, I forgot to respond last night, anyways.

This shouldn't even be a concern. Since it'll be people who lead/manage a sub-team or is in some type of leadership role within a team, again, for example, @FireStar and her Trainee announcements thread. I am sure recruitment will pick one person or rotate/take turns on who makes that announcement every week. They know if it's meant to be announced or not, if it's a mistake then that's poor communication internally within the staff team and staff member. Another example: @Bunni can announce new EA Members and any other "specials" that we should be made aware of or

Posted Sep 20, 2018
    FireStar likes this.
  12. I'm split on the decision. I think the best way is to a) have a group of staff members / team for this specifically b) set up an "semi official" group where announcements are posted.

The group can be created by higher managements like admin+

Posted Sep 21, 2018
  13. I believe there already is a group here? But I’d be up for either options.

Posted Sep 21, 2018
    FireStar likes this.
  14. I disagree, I feel as if that makes seeing promotions harder particularly for those users who don't use the forum site actively or get involved with 'groups'. Realistically, if it was within a group a very small portion of the community would see it and (if I'm not mistaken) would be accessible to those only with a forum account. Having a dedicated forum section displays it to everyone who visits the forums and is perfect for all sort of new promotions: trainees, mods, community/staff teams, etc. It's also more 'official' by being posted by the team leads/admins, instead of in groups where people generally associate more casual groups/discussions to take place. Team leads and Admins already post most sub-team promotions in the staff slack, and Fire has already posted a thread on the forums for new Trainee's so it doesn't seem like much more effort is required. Especially in a place such as the forums where the information can be accessed easily by all members of the community.

That's run/founded by a Moderator and isn't an official group.

Posted Sep 21, 2018
  15. I agree completely with this. Which brings me back to the purpose of groups system... which brings the social side of the system.

This is more to inform and announce important information. Again, wouldn't want to go to someone's profile/have to join a group to leave it every time something is announced.
    Absolutely no difference except someone with a red tag making it and calling it "Semi-official".

Posted Sep 21, 2018
    coralines and FireStar like this.
  16. The whole group idea is nice, but not efficient, that’s the main issue that keeps rising within this thread.
    Not to mention, it’s quite hard to keep track of posts in a group, especially when you’re looking for a specific thing, like “Last QA acceptance batch” or “Trainee Announcement on date ...”.
    On top of that, everyone can posts in groups, so it can get messy, difficult to search things up, and once again.. less official than an actual forum section.

A new section, with the chance to use the Watch option to receive alerts and notifications/emails, not only would make things less messy like in a group, but it would be easy to find on the forums, access, search and find what we are looking for.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 22, 2018
    millenium200 and Sophie_OGrady like this.
  17. Not really. There's permissions for that.

Can be done with Groups too. Again the main issue is to figure out who is doing it.

Posted Sep 22, 2018
  18. Wasn’t aware of that considering the current “unofficial” group would let me type, so that’s kinda misleading. But my bad.
    Maybe adding a “Who can post: ...” option here wouldn’t harm anyone information wise. /shrug
    https://imgur.com/S21fK9D

I’m aware of that, never said groups can’t do it, I’m just considering it as an additional option since the message popping up for those with notifications on would probably be like the actual topic, rather than a “Player123 posted in group Mineplex Announcements”, just that.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 22, 2018
    FireStar likes this.
  19. Well it can, but there are many reasons that have been outlined above stating why a forum section would be so much better.

I think it's pretty simple, the team lead of whichever team with new members would post it. So either the Admin or Sr Mod lead would update it every time they add new members, similar to how they do currently in the staff slack.

If this is the main issue, I don't see why it couldn't be added as I really don't think organising who is going to post new members is a great issue as each team has a pretty clear lead.

Posted Sep 22, 2018
  20. I think this would be a great addition. I prefer the forum section idea more myself, as I think this would give maximum visibility to players, being much more apparent than a forum in a group's forums. Group forums are an excellent feature and will really help community discussions, but I don't think we should make a group for Mineplex-relevant announcements, that could be interesting to all players.

Posted Sep 22, 2018
    GUNZxNxROSEZ and coralines like this.