• 465 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 10623 Players Online
  • 10158 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Add "No Fill" option to Cake Wars

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by 90k, Jun 11, 2021.

1. It can be quite hard to beat a party of 4 when you are solo or just with 1 other person. The reason for this is your random teammates will usually hog the gen, leaving you with no resources. The new command /nofill would fix this by disallowing anyone from being put on your team for the next game that isn't in your party. One way this can be done is by lowering lobby cap by (4 - x players in party). This means if your party has 2 people and the party owner does /nofill , the lobby cap would change from 16 to 14.

The only downside I could see for this is players abusing/trolling with it so a new rule might need to be implemented so any abusers can be punished.

Posted Jun 11, 2021,
    Last edited Jun 11, 2021
  2. I actually like this idea a lot, I always wanted to play CW4 by myself or with 1 other person. This also shouldn't be very difficult to implement, so I do hope I see this one day!

Posted Jun 11, 2021
    QuikMiner, vcvv and 90k like this.
  3. This could reduce queue times slightly without any adverse effects on other players. It could be a setting in Preferences, and matchmaking would use the setting the party leader has. The only downside I can think of is that this setting would make it more difficult to find new people to play with.

Posted Jun 11, 2021
    QuikMiner and 90k like this.
  4. Hello!

I'm not totally against this idea, however the logistics of implementing it would be a little complex. It would have to interfere with how many people can join a lobby, and I can see issues / bugs with it interacting with the party system. I'd imagine something like this would take a decent amount of dev time for something so small, however I've recently been against giving -1 to ideas solely because they require dev time. I think it'd make a great addition eventually to the game, and I look forward to hearing others opinions on it. Thank you for making this thread!

Posted Jun 12, 2021
    QuikMiner likes this.
  5. This idea has a good concept, however, I do not think implementing this would be practical at all.
    What if you are alone in a CW4 game and you type /nofill? Would you be alone on your team with no possibility of anyone else joining? This would cause a lot of issues, with the main one that I can think of is 4 people joining an empty lobby and typing /nofill which would make the game a 1v1v1v1. This is a perfect scenario for boosting, and very long and boring games which do not make much sense to me at all.
    On another note, what if there are already 16 players in the lobby when someone types /nofill? Where would the players without the party go? They would have no team to be on.
    If your solution to that is to remove them from the game, this would cause frustration amongst players and lower their motivation to play cake wars as a game.
    It's a good concept but the idea is way too impractical in my opinion.

Posted Jun 12, 2021
    Ian923, Amg and 90k like this.
  6. To answer questions i see people writing ill share my thoughts on this:
    I love this idea, i hate how i am a PC player, i join a CW4 game to waste some time that i have and have a chill game, and i get 3 mobile idiots that sit on gen and destroy the cake defense without adding anything to it. That is the SOLE REASON i dont play CW without a party to play with. Personally, i could not care less about finding others to play with, if i cared about that i would go here, the discord, or something.
    If this will not happen, how about we add some really small matchmaking changes? I HATE getting teamed with mobile idiots that cant PVP, cant bridge, dont use chat, dont read chat, dont cover the cake, and try to team with the other teams. Make it so fill teams are based off of platform, or wins, average dmg per game, idk something.
    Also, how about you cant use the /nofill command once you are in pre-game lobby. That way if its a 1v1v1v1 its the games fault, not a player issue.

Posted Jun 12, 2021
  7. Boosting is already against the rules, and I think this would make it even easier to catch blatant boosting. And if people want to do a 1v1v1v1, why not? It doesn't harm anyone else. People have been asking for a Singles game mode for a long time and this would also serve as a way to do without making a completely new game mode.

You will only be allowed to use the command if there is less than or equal amount of players in the lobby subtracted by the numbers of players missing from your 4-player party. For example, if there is 14 people in a lobby and you are by yourself, you wont be able to do /nofill because it would leave one player without a team (4v4v4v1 + 1 extra). But if there is 13 players in the lobby, you would be able to do /nofill because that would make the game a 4v4v4v1 with no extras.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 12, 2021
    MARKTHENUB™ likes this.
  8. I'm sure developers have priorities at the moment but that being said this is a really good suggestion. A lot of the issues people are bringing up can (mostly) easily be solved, a lot of other games (outside minecraft) with a similar structure do this.
    ^ that is a thing, and it's not super hard to implement in theory, and they could just make it to where you can only edit the setting (could be in preferences, party settings, or a command) once you're in the main lobby and not in the game lobby.
    I think it's a really good idea but I also don't think the developers have enough time to add that at the moment, maybe one day. 1+ though!!

Posted Jun 13, 2021
    90k and MARKTHENUB™ like this.
  9. In theory, this is great. In reality, it's awful. Now it only takes 3 alts to fill a lobby completely. Imagine the win / XP boosting this would inspire.

Posted Jun 13, 2021
  10. I would much rather see a solo cake wars gamemode with 8 islands (lobby cap would be 8 players) than standard games with 4 islands with one person on each one of them. This would solve the problem that you and others in this thread are experiencing and it would also make the games more interesting and longer since there would be 8 different teams of one rather than possible 4 teams of one.
    It would also prevent possible boosting as it would take 8 players to fill up a lobby rather than 4.
    Why do you think Cake Wars Duos isn't played on a CW4 map with a 2 player cap for each island? In my opinion, this was made the way that it is in order to promote more difficult, longer and strategic gameplay in cake wars.
    Cake Wars Standard maps were made to have around 4 people on each island, and placing one player on it simply doesn't make sense to me.

In conclusion,
    The solution that I see most fit for this problem isn't adding a /nofill command for CW4 lobbies, but rather creating a solo cake wars gamemode using the CW2 maps with 8 islands and a lobby cap of 8 players.
    This would prevent other people from 'stealing' your resources, it would make the games fair instead of suggested 2v4s (Yes, you might want to do a 2v4 yourself, however, the argument that that kind of gameplay would be unfair still stands), it would make games more interesting, strategic and longer, it would also prevent possible attempts of boosting since the player cap is now 8 instead of 4 and it would also remove the possibility of a 1v1v1v1 happening.
    I think that I came up with a decent compromise, let me know what you think.

Posted Jun 13, 2021,
    Last edited Jun 13, 2021
    Deleted User likes this.
  11. Hi there 90k! First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to make this thread and suggest this idea! I briefly read through some of the feedback left on this thread, but I really wanted to focus on sharing my own personal opinion on this idea suggestion. This is an interesting idea, that I think a lot a players would like to see, but nonetheless I do think there are some more obvious flaws with this idea that makes me disagree with it. I do agree with Prostone in the sense that this seemed a bit more complex to me. Having a command, in which changes the player cap in a game mode, can majorly affect queuing times and in my opinion, split the player base.

Another point that I think that is worth discussing is that if this were implemented, what if there were a couple of players who were playing as a duo party in standard who wanted to use /nofill? There’s only four islands, with the player cap being 16 players. (4 per per island.) What if there were 6 doubles in standard (a total of 12) trying to use /nofill? There wouldn’t be enough islands to accommodate every player who’s trying to play standard as a double through the /nofill command. In addition to this being an issue, with the way the current queuing system works, it’d probably be almost impossible to use /nofill. As you know, when you’re que’d for a game, a lobby will either fill up as you soon as you join in, or at least a couple of seconds after you join in. With that, I foresee the command being harder to use unless a party leaves before the game starts.

Generally, I wouldn’t see this command working over too well. As you mentioned in your original post, I could see players using this as a way to abuse a feature. Furthermore, I don’t think it would be ideal to allow a command to effect the player cap in a game mode. There’d be too many different games with various player caps, which would ultimately prolong the queuing times across the board. My personal suggestion to you is that if you would like to play solo, or as a team of two, play duos. I do understand that it’s annoying at times when your random teammate can hog resources, but I don’t think that adding a /nofill command would be the best way in resolving this issue. I think maybe a better alternative would be by adding a feature that split resource gen equally between each alive teammate. At this time I’m going to disagree with this idea suggestion because of the complications surrounding it, but I’m interested in what others may have to say in regards to your idea!

Posted Jun 13, 2021
  12. You would have to do /nofill before joining a game, so that the matchmaker can make sure we dont overpopulate the game/islands.

Posted Jun 13, 2021
  13. Just want to mention that I do agree that there are things that need dev time more than this. Hopefully once the new devs start working we could see this in the future :D

This Is a good idea! Would make it less complex, therefore, fewer potential faults/bugs.

Boosting is already against the rules so these players would be punished. I also believe that this would make it much easier to catch boosters, as it would be so blatant.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 13, 2021,
    Last edited Jun 13, 2021
    QuikMiner likes this.
  14. I would like to see both, these ideas are not the same. But right now, not only would a new solo game take a lot of dev time, but CW just doesn't have enough players to divide the player base into 3. I just mentioned that adding a nofill option would add a bonus of a "solo" gamemode without splitting the player base and taking much less dev time to make.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 13, 2021,
    Last edited Jun 13, 2021
    QuikMiner likes this.
  15. This could be an option in the party menu, that you can set defaults to. It can be fill and nofill, so no commands needed for those not on PC.

Posted Jun 13, 2021
  16. I love this idea but I think it’s just easier to make a solo game mode since a lot of people have also been asking to make one. Instead of it being a 1v1v1v1 you can just queue into a solo game.

Posted Jun 13, 2021
  17. Even though we all want it the leadership decided it would not happen

Posted Jun 13, 2021