• 690 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9399 Players Online
  • 8709 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Allow VPNs for players with poor connections (i.e ping is 150 or more)

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Henrias360, Jul 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As an Australian, my tablet is my main MC device and my ping is 250-300. This is irritating since it makes me especially vulnerable to the spawn death glitch (when spawning in a Micro Battles game, probably other games too, you die from the void or from falling at in-game spawn). So, I would like to use an American VPN to prevent this, since I'm unfairly knocked out at the start.

Posted Jul 3, 2020
    Blue Kiwi likes this.
  2. Definitely agree, I'm asian and play with 250 ping and I think it's a real shame that the server that needs it most, bans VPNs.

Posted Jul 4, 2020
    Henrias360 likes this.
  3. Thread moved to General Idea Discussion

The main reason why we have this in place is to combat rule breakers that use multiple accounts on VPNs. Players that use VPNs can be banned for a compromised account if a hacker has been hacking on multiple accounts under the same IP from the VPN provider. This issue is sadly common in Minecraft and many servers have Anti-VPN rollouts in place to prevent this from happening as much as they could. Sadly you'd have to play with higher ping due to the fact that the servers are in the US.

Posted Jul 4, 2020
  4. Hey!

I can definitely understand the struggle of having to play on high ping but unfortunately most of the time that is unavoidable across long distances like the one you described. The reasons by @Hxmza pretty much sum up why you may have to deal with the higher ping without avail. There are just too many problems regarding the possibility of hackers avoiding network bans and the inability to tell if a player was compromised or if they merely used a VPN. If these were not such major server issues, perhaps the possible introduction of VPN's could be allowed but for now, the Anti-VPN blocker currently in place is the most effective for the direction of the server at the moment. Hopefully, you can keep enjoying the server as an Australian!

Thanks for the post! -1

Posted Jul 5, 2020
    Ajspyman likes this.
  5. These legitimate vpns are called 'boosters'. Hypixel do ban booster users the first time they log on, but Hypixel must have figured out a way to tell boosters from vpns because all of my Asian friends using boosters never got banned again after they appealed their first ban.

Posted Jul 8, 2020
  6. heres a screenshot of my connecting to mineplex without a booster(ID:gamemiralDK)
    https://gyazo.com/b4e719c96e869c8fc8fec305a06ce56a
    now are you gonna tell me to just 'deal with' 20000 ping?

Posted Jul 8, 2020
  7. I would be all for this if we had a way to effectively tell which players are using boosters versus players which are bypassing bans, using compromised accounts, etc.

The main issue I see is players using boosters with alts to bypass, they get IP banned, and now all those legitimate players also get banned.

One potential solution is to deal with this on a per-user basis. By allowing only people who have specifically applied to use VPNs like this to login, we could still deny access to the large amounts of alts and spammers who normally wouldn't take the time to deal with an application/appeal process. So essentially this would work as an account whitelist. My main concern with this though is that it would put extra strain on whichever team has to handle this (Admins, forums team, etc.) and I'm not sure if there are enough resources that could be devoted to an issue that doesn't seem to affect most players.

While it does suck that you have to play with such high ping, the negatives of allowing VPNs (even if it is just a select few) have to be considered too. I'm neutral on this until more thorough ideas on how this would actually be handled are proposed.

Posted Jul 8, 2020
  8. maybe they can just whitelist the ips of the most commonly used boosters?

Posted Jul 8, 2020
  9. to me, 'such high ping' means 20000ms. there is literally no way for me to play mineplex without boosters

Posted Jul 8, 2020
  10. Then hackers can start using those to hack on. No solution will be perfect for this issue. The best thing is to not play with any VPN's/boosters and deal with the ping

Posted Jul 8, 2020
  11. FFS I already said that I get 20000 ping without boosters. tell me how I can 'deal with the ping'

Posted Jul 8, 2020
  12. also, boosters are much more expensive than normal vpns, so most hackers won't buy a booster just to cheat

Posted Jul 8, 2020
  13. Im confused why it would take so much resources and put so much strain on staff if, as Brusey said, not many people are affected anyway. It's a one time thing. There may be a few Asian or Australian players spamming requests at one point but because mineplex doesn't see that many new players, there will never be more requests coming in. The staff only have to do it once. And they can do it in whatever timeframe they want ie 1 or even 2 months. It's worth for saving the laggers.

Posted Jul 8, 2020
    eliiii and AtLeastYouTried like this.
  14. To me, high ping means 150+ ping. Maybe it's different on Java Idk.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 9, 2020
  15. It will cause to many hackers on the server in my opinion

Posted Jul 9, 2020
  16. yes hackers can use alts but maybe mineplex can use hypixel's system(even if you successfully appeal, you still need to wait 30 days to be unbanned) so it takes longer for hackers to get a new alt

Posted Jul 9, 2020
  17. I completely agree with this, it'd greatly help out some players.

Posted Jul 9, 2020
  18. It would be somewhat redundant to have to wait 30 days to be unbanned after an accepted appeal because that's the length of the punishment anyway...might as well just wait out the ban.

Posted Jul 9, 2020
  19. Hey!

I lt seems that there is a very big misunderstanding here. VPNs will worsen your ping, not help it, and here’s why.

A VPN is a virtual private network. How it works is that it reroutes all of your internet traffic, like a middleman. Let’s say you are connection A, and mineplex is connection M. Without a VPN, your connection goes straight from A to M. With a VPN, however, your traffic goes through a middleman, let’s say V. So with a vpn, you will go from A to V to M, a longer route, and more lag-inducing route, than If you were to not use a VPN.

Furthermore, by “boosters” I will assume you are talking about services such as WTFast. These don’t actually help your ping. They just spoof it to make it seem that it is better, and there are many videos on YouTube decompiling such pieces of software and exposing them. If you actually try playing, you will notice that there is no difference / a practically negligible difference in your actual game performance.

I know this can be kind of a hard thing to wrap your head around, especially with all of this misinformation going around, so if you’d like to ask questions about this, you can DM me through the forums.

Hope I helped! :D

Posted Jul 9, 2020
  20. Mineplex can't just go ask Hypixel how their VPN system works.

Posted Jul 9, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.