• 605 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4415 Players Online
  • 3810 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Anti spam system for chat

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Krystal The Fox, Dec 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey!

I think there should be an anti spam system in-game. heres how it would work.

If a player sends 3+ messages within a 5 second period, they system would warn them by saying. Anti-Spam> Please do not spam chat, or you will be muted.
    If the player does this again, they will recieve a 1 hour mute, if they continue, the punishment stacks and gets longer. if a player spams after a warning from over 1 month ago, they will be issued a warning before a mute by the anti-spam system

Let me know what you think!

Posted Dec 19, 2020
  2. The only reason I believe this system should be in place is not to punish regular players who spam sometimes but bots and players that character spam over many messages. This is why I'd make it 5 messages within 5 seconds - any spammy person or bot would reach that quick. And perhaps if there was 10+ messages within a 5 second period, maybe also if they were very similar to each other (bots) it would be an automatic mute/kick on suspicion of bot activity

I haven't seen a problem with bots recently, though, so I don't see how useful it would be. But overall, it is a good idea.

Posted Dec 19, 2020
  3. Bump Bump Bump

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 17, 2021
  4. Hello!

This is an interesting idea, but there is is a system that works relatively like this already and I think it works fine. The spam messages kick and the command spam kick are what I am referring to. I prefer this system over the idea you presented as it avoids a couple logistical things. Example being, would these "warnings" be in someones punishment history, or would it remain for only the bot to know? If someone was false warned, how would we go about removing this?

If someone is in a lobby and is spamming bot messages, the best course of action would be to /report for chat abuse and a moderator+ will handle it quite quickly. Compromised Account "spam" and botting are both permanent bans. The reason I mention this is because if someone receives a 1 hour mute from this automated system, they can come back every couple hours and repeat the same behavior. A staff member would be struggling to gain enough evidence to punish because the user is automatically being punished for a significantly lower severity offense.

I give this idea a -1 for the reasons above.

Posted Jan 17, 2021
  5. o/

As already mentioned above, Mineplex already has some form of anti-spam, which stops you from saying the same word twice, and it also will tell you you're sending too many messages too fast (I can't remember what timeframe you have to actually get that message though)

In my opinion, the anti spam Mineplex uses at the moment is sufficient - sincerely because you don't want the anti-spam to be punishing players, right? I feel like this would lead to a lot of unfair punishments. Players who are continuously getting muted by an anti-spam bot could clog up the appeals system, depending on how long their punishments are.

Not to mention that 3 messages in the space of 5 seconds is a very short timestamp in my opinion. This might be annoying for people who type fast or members of staff who are having multiple conversations in a lobby.

Also, us as a community have a part to play when it comes to eliminating spammers and rulebreakers. Mineplex has given us features such as /report and /chatsnap as a way for us to help them with cases like this, it's something we should definitely be using.

Unfortunately, it's a -1 for the idea for me. However, a rework to your suggestion could most definitely improve our anti spam system :)

Posted Jan 17, 2021
    Fusafez likes this.
  6. +0.5 while I like this idea, there are many players who type like this:
    bruh
    what
    are
    you
    doing

and thus punishing them

Posted Jan 17, 2021
    okDamien likes this.
  7. Personally, I am not a big fan of this idea, for a couple reasons.

First, Mineplex already has an anti-spam system, that works alright. While it does have flaws, I would rather those be fixed, instead of a new system, especially one that auto-mutes.

Secondly, spam is just not that bad of an offense. While all offenses are "bad" spam generally doesn't hurt anyone, and is easily fixed by /report or by asking a staff member to come help. There are already so many options to deal with spam efficiently, that this just seems unnecessary to me.

Thirdly, this somewhat relates to the second point, but staff can already easily deal with spammers. Having an anti-spam system that auto-mutes worries me, because it could accidently mute people for saying "gg" too many times or something along the lines of that.

So in conclusion, I just don't think it is necessary to add a new anti-spam system that would just take more dev time on something that is not a big issue. Especially considering it could easily false mute players, which is not something we want to do.

Posted Jan 18, 2021
    Fusafez likes this.
  8. Hi, I just need to think back to my mod times for some examples here.

This would be good in some ways as most spammers you see on the network are non-sentient compromised accounts or accounts that have been accessed illegally to cheat, and such cheat causes them to talk in chat repeatedly. If all spammers on the network were like this, then I'd have no problem with this idea; they are not. There are already some developed systems in place to try and combat this specific rule infraction such as the current anti-spam features that don't allow anyone to send the same message twice, or the feature that stops non-ranked players from chatting more than once per 5 seconds (May have been recently removed). Whilst these systems arguably don't have the greatest algorithms to detect commercial spam, they do do a lot. The other facts regarding this feature is whenever you build something to stop illegal actions on the server, the system will always generate some level of false positives, for example: false GWEN/Watchdog bans etc. There isn't really a way to stop this.

Commercial spam is one of the easiest things for staff to deal with. Even if they've got an entire lobby of bot accounts all spamming, they can slow the chat down and deal with them all very quickly. The /report feature is also incredibly efficient at combating people breaking chat rules. Other features exist too such as /ignore, turning off chat (drastic) or moving to a different lobby. For something so easy to evade or deal with, I wouldn't support a system being put in place that can generate lots more false positives. Given the actions it takes to prevent spamming, it's massively excessive for something that may not have occurred in the first place.

I can see that there is valid reasoning behind your idea, it's just the problem isn't big enough and people on some games talk very quickly which could raise issues with the system. It's also not a great feature that the limited amount of developers should be pouring lots of time into given that the problem isn't big enough. It could set back schedules to release large scale updates which could, at the same time, bring the mood towards the update down because some of the features aren't working properly or are causing problems.

I'm going to have to follow suit with everyone else sorry. -1

Posted Jan 18, 2021
    Fusafez likes this.
  9. Hiya there,
    A lot above has mentioned mineplex’s anti spam and how it’s already implemented. Sure there is flaws, the best solution to that is to have them re-coded to better improve the server. Definitely not a fan of auto-mutes as a flaw can possibly happen and players be muted for an offense they did not intend. It’s best left to staff to handle those situations. I seen players kicked for spamming which is great to warn the player or a potential rule break it is not allowed on the server to perform those actions. I hope my input was helpful as well! Thanks for suggesting your idea as always.
    Have a good one <3!

Posted Jan 19, 2021
    Ozbek likes this.
  10. Hi, What's up :)! A lot of other players have pointed out some of the flaws in this idea- but I'd like to quickly recap why this will be denied.

We already have a system in place to punish those who intend to abuse the chat feature and spam. It is determined by the moderator whether or not the person should be punished. It is unfair to punish players who are not intending to do harm, but are just fast at typing. A staff member with training will be more precise than an automated system almost every time, and the anti-spam will likely cause more harm than good. Additionally, sometimes it is necessary to type fast, such as in Draw My Thing where you need to guess words very quickly, so it wouldn't make sense to assume the person has Mal-intentions. For now, we don't have plans to punish someone for spam based on an automatic system.

As shown here, this idea will remain denied: https://www.mineplex.com/threads/auto-mute-system-for-in-game.16096/

Thank you and have a lovely day!
    Thread Locked >> Idea Not Planned.

Posted Jan 20, 2021
    jacvb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.