• 625 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9063 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Antique : First ever map I decided to finish

Discussion in 'Build Showcase' started by OakStairs, Aug 29, 2019.

?

did I do a good?

1. nah it's bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. There's worse out there

25.0%
  3. hAmBoRGeR

75.0%
  1. Howdy y'all

I dunno if you guys remember the posts I made a week and a half ago (Or so), but I made two posts talking about a block hunt build I wanted to make. Well... I decided to scrap it. Who knew making an entire map with custom terrain, boats and water would be hard?

Anyway, I already submitted this map about ten seconds ago, so I figured y'all might appreciate it if the B.T doesn't. It's called Antique , and I put about .3 seconds of thought into the name, so you're welcome.

https://imgur.com/a/ic3Y0HS

In hindsight, I'm a little afraid that there's already a Master Builder's theme out there just like this one. I didn't get to see 'em all. F in the chat for your boye (prolly)

Anyway, we'll see how the submission goes. Wish me luck

Posted Aug 29, 2019
    Dallarth likes this.
  2. Hey!
    Wow, I really like this map! This is definitely an impressive first build! The only suggestion that I have would be to put some form of bush or flower on the grassy parts of the map to make them pop a little more, but other than that, I think this looks fantastic! I wish you the best of luck with this submission, I hope to see it in rotation sometime soon!

Posted Aug 29, 2019
  3. This looks really amazing, you're super talented at building. I think @BaconAnEggs has a great piece of feedback with adding to the texture of the grass to make it a bit less plain.

Good luck with the submission :>

Posted Aug 29, 2019
    BaconAnEggs likes this.
  4. Hey buddy!

First of all, I'd like to wish you the best of luck with the acceptance of your map submission; it would be great to be able to see such a great looking build on the rotation of Master Builders maps. I also want to point out that if you want to check if there are other maps similiar without waiting for a game lobby to go through the large rotation of maps, get a friend who is LEGEND+ to host an MPS, where you as a game host can select specific maps to see what each one looks like, and to see if your design is similar to any of the others. I believe this kind of design is unique to your build, but it might be worth checking out anyway.

As for suggestions, I have 2 main suggestions that may help improve the overall quality of your build. Firstly, I am not a big fan of the lighting situation, I get that the blocks used are quite dark and when taking the screenshots, the lower portion of the build is dark, but the amount of torches used and the way they're placed looks quite odd to me. I know it's hard to get good lighting for such a big, enclosed area, but maybe try some glowstone, and use less torches.

My second suggestion is going to be similar to @BaconAnEggs, try experimenting with the grass patches in the corner by using either bonemeal to add some natural-looking landscaping, or even try making your own mini trees. You could also try making bushes with leaves, or even making rocks using stone could also look cool. The grass areas just look bland at the moment, but if you add something to them, they'll look a lot better.

Overall, I'd like to praise you for your efforts, you build has come together quite well, and I wish you good luck with the submission process. These suggestions are my own opinion on how to improve your map, you may or may not agree, but I hope some of them were able to help you improve either another version of this map, or future maps you might build. I know you have submitted your map already, but if you aren't already aware, there is a Map Submission Guide that will help you a lot when creating and submitting future builds!

Posted Aug 29, 2019
  5. I am rather annoyed there isn't a n"Amazing" option :P

I am in awe at the map. I particularly love the stair details. I would love to see this In-Game.
    +1 Still annoyed there isn't an amazing option >:P

have a good night,
    ~yato

Posted Aug 29, 2019
  6. I think you did really good with this creation. You seem like a pretty talented builder and I appraise you for that.
    One thing that I would like to recommend is probably put some more details on the walls because they are looking a little bland at the moment. I would also recommend that you try and work on the grass patches below, maybe add some leaves or custom trees, I don't know. This build looks pretty Antique, to be honest, and If you follow the recommendations that I've listed your build will be amazing.

Posted Aug 30, 2019
  7. Hey there!

I think this is quite a cool build! The map definitely does give off a distinct "antique" feeling, which I actually really quite like.

I do agree with pretty much all the feedback above about adding decorations to the grass patches, changing some of your torches for other lighting, and adding some more variation to the walls. One way I can think of doing the latter would be to mix up some of the stone bricks with cracked stone bricks. I think this would add more variation while also contributing somewhat to the antique theme.

Keep it up!

Posted Aug 30, 2019
  8. Heyoo!

This build is quite impressive you got, I love the palette and theme you're going for but I have one thing I would suggest for this map.

That's going to be the just plain grass patches. I have some ideas for you and feel free to use them if you like them. My first suggestion would to add some grass or add a mixture of coarse dirt and grass with some grass to mix the palette up, make it more eye-catching and appealing, you could also add overflowing leaves, I always find those lovely to look at! Finally, my last suggestion is some trees, they don't have to be large tree's but some nice little tree's on the grass patches.

Overall, great build!

~Cheers!
    -SpikeCreates

Posted Aug 30, 2019
  9. Nah I don't think this looks bad at all. That "hAmBoRGeR" option on the poll made me laugh though.
    The thing that stands out most to me is the lack of detail around the bottom wall (4th image). It's master builders so the detail doesn't have to be extreme, but some spots just seem to be flat. Same for the grass one layer up, it looks like there should be something there but I don't know what work.
    I like the swirling designs on the base (3rd and 6th images) by combining slabs and stairs. Kind of looks odd though being a full block out, so maybe turning some stairs to face outwards would make it merge with the wall in a cleaner fashion.
    Overall though, I think it looks nice. The darker colors fit the name/theme well, and the torch setup looks cool.

Posted Sep 2, 2019
  10. Looks pretty large and impressive, I must say. I like the semi medieval kind of theme, although it doesn't stand out in that regard from other maps on Mineplex for that same reason. The only thing in particular that I'm not a fan of though are the torches, they kind of look like the lighting a player puts in their home on the second day of playing on their survival world (sorry for the bad metaphor lol).

I can't add much to other replies on this post, and there aren't that many flaws anyway, so here's my support and hoping that the map gets accepted.

Posted Sep 5, 2019
    Dallarth likes this.
  11. The structure and exterior of the castle looks amazing, you did a really good job on that. The only thing I could suggest is that you add some interior decorations to it (which I'm sure you were going to do anyway) to help really give it a unique feel. You have some serious talent if this is your first ever map, I can hardly build myself a house on my survival world.

Keep it up!

Posted Sep 5, 2019
  12. not tryna trash the build, however Imma just say it's pretty bland. You could add more contrast to the walls, such as mixing up the palette(mashing other blocks in the same wall. Such as stained clay? This could have a nice effect). imo it just looks a little lifeless, sorry,

Posted Sep 5, 2019
  13. Awesome map! it's not the most ornate map I've ever seen but I don't think it needs to be. I think this is a fitting map for the game.

Posted Sep 7, 2019