• 1409 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3493 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Anvils!

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by OakStairs, Aug 10, 2019.

?

Does it sound like a good idea?

1. lolno

50.0%
  2. Eh.. I guess

50.0%
  3. Needs a lot of work, but good premise

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 11/10 would play right now

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I had a new idea for a game, and I'm sorry if it's already been posted but I gotta type quick or else I'll lose it. I have the attention span of a squirrel

Players would be placed in a cylindrical arena with a radius of about 25-30 (thickness of 30 blocks) , and anvils would fall from the sky at random intervals. The longer the game goes on, the higher quantity of anvils fall at any given time as well as the speed of which they fall. Anvils could destroy the block they land on, making it even harder to traverse the arena.

Players could have the option to purchase things like a single-use umbrella in the form of a barrier (or even carpet, so they can pick their favorite color in the pregame lobby). The totem of undying could even make a comeback and finally have a use for players, saving their spot in-game for a single use. Here's how I'd imagine the player classes:

Frogger : Given a double-jump boost to stay in the game
    Tank : Able to take two hits from anvils before dying
    Gonzales, Speedy : Permanent Speed II boost
    Nuisance : Has a stick with knockback II for optimal trolling

After several seconds, the anvils could disappear in order to prevent client-side lag. I could even build the first prototype arena to get the ball rolling if this idea takes off. I got the inspiration for this game while messing around on my server, making game-generated sand fall by updating the blocks with a punch.

Anyway, if it's a bad idea, oh well. I'm not good at thinking anyway

Posted Aug 10, 2019
  2. hiiiiiii!

I really like the game overall! Howvever, I feel that it would be better suited as a NANO game, since it seems to be fast paced to me. I think that getting rid of the kits and making the island that people play on a bit smaller would make it a perfect addition to NANO. Additionally, maybe instead of after several seconds the anvils disappear, they disappear as soon as they hit the ground, making it a bit cleaner. Maybe it could work where every so often a player receives 1 gem, and if they save up gems they could purchase these one-time use power-ups (as they appear to sound). Overall, I really like the idea, but I think that it needs a bit of changes! +0.5

Posted Aug 10, 2019
  3. Hia! I agree that this game seems like a good addition to the pre-existing NANO gamemode, but probably not on its own. I seem to remember that we had a game like this in the previous Bawk Bawk Battles gamemode, and there were some flaws. One was that the player had to be standing in the direct middle of a block in order to avoid being hit by the anvils. The best way to attempt to win that game was to look directly up, so you couldn't center yourself quick enough. Obviously there could be some changes if this were introduced to NANO, so I think it would be worth exploring the idea. Maybe we'll get a bunch of new NANO games soon, and I would be happy to see this on the list.

I was thinking it might even be nice in the "Quick" minigame within NANO games. That way it can go by even quicker and players won't have to focus too much time or energy on avoiding falling anvils for a long period of time.

Overall I think this idea could use some revisiting in updating it from the old BBB minigame into a "Quick" minigame within NANO!

Posted Aug 10, 2019