• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Art "behind-the-scenes"

Discussion in 'Arts & Banner Showcase' started by Iscariot, Dec 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hello!

I decided to make a thread showing a Before, Middle & After of different work I've done this year — enjoy :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-IR

Posted Dec 11, 2019
    BasicT, Zipppo, Korben and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wow! It's interesting to see your process as on the server you have to be the one artist that has really stood out. I'm particularly interested in the third one. How did you make it? Did you use a program of any sort?

Posted Dec 12, 2019
    Iscariot likes this.
  3. I can’t even draw a stick figure this ain’t fair

Posted Dec 12, 2019
  4. Hey! Thank you so much, I appreciate that ^-^ The third one is a drawing I created of my friend from a trip I took to Israel earlier this year. All of my projects are done in Photoshop CC (2019 currently) on a Mac trackpad. I have about 10 brushes I made for my own usage in art projects, which are the ones I almost always draw with! All of the brush strokes shown in the pieces are ones that I made from scratch, and I'd highly suggest digital artists to make their own brushes too :) If you have any specific questions definitely let me know! For the drawing, knowing anatomy helped and then I took a great deal of creative freedom. My friend I drew is a natural redhead with circular glasses so I wanted to capture those aspects visually.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 12, 2019
    gzen likes this.
  5. I love this! It's so interesting seeing your process on these four different pieces of art. What inspired you to make the first and second pieces? Music is a huge inspiration in my life, and I really love the representation of it here. I recognize the second piece from the 50th Mineplex Newsletter. I really, really love the colors in this piece and the sky reminds me of a van Gogh painting. Once again an amazing job, Ian, and I can't wait to hear back on what inspired you to make these pieces.

Posted Dec 12, 2019
    Iscariot likes this.
  6. Its crazy to me how you can make any of this and its really cool to see what you start with. It's awsome and all of it looks great

Posted Dec 12, 2019
    Iscariot likes this.
  7. Hey Fredricksburg, thanks for stopping by! :)

So I got a concept for the first piece, Upright Bass, after my father went to a show at a local venue. One of the bands had a double bassist, and being a musician myself (I'm a drummer) it hit me that I'd never drawn any instruments before. As for the artistic process and ideation, I knew going in that I wanted a black/white/gold palette. After applying the gold, as well as the black and white for further dimension shading (shadows to mid-tones especially) I really knew something else had to contrast the gold. I tried a couple colors, which typically start as stark and vibrant complementary contrasts. In this piece, gold worked well with a magenta, especially because it softens to a quiet pink against white. My favorite detail of this was making the fingernails that same powerful pink hue.

The second piece actually had a color-grading update since appearing as the Newsletter Issue 50 cover! I took away all of the reds and swapped them with various pinks, changed a bunch of shading throughout, edited the way it was cropped, and a handful of other small "corrections" — but it was entirely based off of my own insomnia. During my first year at college I created a digital image collage composed of what I considered to be a "dreamscape" ... so I recreated the concept and kept tweaking it. 1.5 months later it felt done to me, which is sometimes how long that process can take, but it's always worth it for me! Van Gogh was of course my inspiration here by the way, I even read a novel on his entire life story during the fall.

As always, I appreciate your support <3

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 12, 2019
    Zipppo likes this.
  8. Iannnn, your style is so unique I love it. I always see your work on discord and through some of your other forum threads but every time it captivates me. You always create a perfect, complementary colour pallet. I love hearing about the concepts that inspired you to create the pieces, and how you turn an abstract idea into something so personal.

I know you use a trackpad because I've seen people ask you many times before but as I'm very familiar with a Mac trackpad it still completely amazes me.

Dang, where does the talent stop? It would be awesome to see you create a piece revolving around the drums in the future, because of your experience with them it would be cool to see what direction you'd take it in. In all seriousness thank you for sharing your work and the stories behind them. I'd love to see more behind-the-scenes threads like this from you again soon. :)

Posted Dec 13, 2019
    gzen and Iscariot like this.
  9. Hey there!

I'm not too good at art; however, I know that these look fantastic! Great work and keep it up. I myself can't really make anything in correlation to the detail and quality of yours. These just look really, really cool. I wish I was able to do something like these.

-JYTG

Posted Dec 13, 2019
    Iscariot likes this.
  10. this stuff is so high quality my compooper broke

in all seriousness though you are amazing at art i love ur images

sheesh this is really abstract

Posted Dec 22, 2019