• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 7433 Players Online
  • 4543 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Processed Bedrock Skins (Suggestion)

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by Locus, Jul 2, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, in this thread I would like to suggest a few ways on how Bedrock skins could be implemented on user profiles.
    Next to the "Option <n>:" I have left a difficulty level that describes how difficult & time consuming it would be to implement that option.

Option 1: (Easy | < 1h)
    If a user has a Java account linked to their account, the Java character's skin could be used for Bedrock character, if they don't have Java account linked, it would show Steve as it does right now. This is extremely simple to implement and by far the easiest out of all the options mentioned here.

Option 2: (Normal | 2-3h)
    In linked account page (https://www.mineplex.com/link) under linked Bedrock character (or alternatively, depending on how development team would decide, there could be a button somewhere next to the Bedrock character in the profile page, on which when clicked...), there would be an option to enter a skin ID (https://namemc.com/skin/a70464cda87f64a7 | "a70464cda87f64a7") from NameMC, as using that skin ID, you can get a fully editable render image of that skin (I.e. https://render.namemc.com/skin/3d/b...&theta=-30&phi=20&time=0&width=600&height=800). This wouldn't be that hard to implement and wouldn't take up any space on the host as the rendered images would be taken directly from NameMC (well, it would only need to store the skin ID in the database, but that's just one extra field in the user's profile table, or the development team would want to cache that skin render directly on the website host or a CDN like they have with Java skins, then it would take up spaces, but since Java skins already do, doubt that would be an issue). As well this would give users more customizability and flexibility than the 1st option.

This would not be a major addition if it would be implemented, but it would make user profiles look a bit more lively than just having Steve render everywhere.

Thank you.
    - Locus

Posted Jul 2, 2020
    LT Tombstone 77 and xGetRekted like this.
  2. I'd really like to see Bedrock skins properly implemented on the website, rather than allowing players to upload their own skins. However, since Mojang doesn't readily have the information on this available, I do think that the second option you proposed works as a nice compromise; since the first would require a user to have a Java account.

I would rather skins are not taken from NameMC though, as I don't think all people who use Bedrock will know of the website. There is a web application called MineSkin, where users can upload their own skin files and grab it from the Mojang servers with a texture URL. If I'm not mistaken it also has an API, which would be of perfect use here. This way, people could directly upload a skin from within their account settings, just like they would update their profile picture. This would be far more user friendly, and would not be leading players off to an external site where Mineplex has no jurisdiction.

I do think it is good to note, that some people might abuse this feature and upload inappropriate skins. For this reason I think that forum moderators should have permissions to remove skins, reverting it back to the default skin and the player in question receiving a warning point.

Posted Jul 2, 2020
    Locus likes this.
  3. @naete Very good point, and I was not aware of MineSkin service, nor don't exactly know how it works, but if it works like you described, it indeed would be a much better option than NameMC one, It would though be a bit harder to implement than the NameMC one, but it would be worth it in my opinion. Thank you for adding onto my suggestion!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 3, 2020,
    Last edited Jul 3, 2020
  4. We plan on adding bedrock skins, but the problem here would be getting the skins. The idea itself is accepted - we're down to add bedrock skins, but it doesn't depend on just wanderer for bedrock skins, so we'll see in the future if they will fully be added or not.

For now, the idea is accepted. This can change to denied if we cannot get the skins in the future.

Posted Jul 10, 2020
    Locus, LT Tombstone 77 and xGetRekted like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.