• 587 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9025 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Cake Wars, Blitz.

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by Jaxxy, May 20, 2019.

1. Hello people of Mineplex!

I was playing around in a couple games of Cake wars today, and I noticed how slow paced the match was. It was about 15-20 minutes in before any Cakes were destroyed and any teams eliminated. I was pondering the idea of a quicker Cake wars, one with faster spawn rates and cheaper items. The idea is to shorten the amount of time that it would take for a team to get enough gear and loot to attempt to destroy another teams Cake. I have seen similar "Bed war" ideas on other servers and they seemed to be very popular within the community.

Changes :

1. The rate for spawn times (bricks, emeralds, nether stars) will be made faster, making it easier for players to get good gear early on.
    2. The cost of items should be brought down by atleast 50%, seeing as we want the matches to be quicker this would help even more with getting players enough loot to attack another team.

p.s This is a very undeveloped idea, I'd love to hear what you guys think about it ^^

Posted May 20, 2019,
    Last edited May 20, 2019
    Jango_55 likes this.
  2. I think that this idea could work, and I think it would be a good alternative to the slower-paced regular Cake Wars. If this were to be added, I say add it as an option under the selection menu for either duos or standard (the GUI would list three modes; Standard, Duos, and Blitz). I do agree that regular Cake Wars can be very slow depending on the matchups, and adding a mode such as this would be definitely interesting to see. It would be much faster and I think it would be better for grinding XP, which is what a lot of people do when playing Cake Wars.

Overall, +1 to this idea. I think it would be very interesting if it could work.

Posted May 20, 2019
    Jaxxy likes this.
  3. Hello, hello!

I personally don't agree with the implementation of this idea. While I certainly understand your concerns and point of view and agree that this gamemode has the potential to be a fun gamemode, a Moderator (@Shaiym) recently responded to a thread proposing a Solo Cakewars gamemode, disapproving of its implementation because of concerns that it would split up the player population. Put simply Cake Wars doesn't have enough players (yet) for the network to reasonably provide "a la carte" variations of the gamemode.

If your concerns are that Cake Wars games take too long, you can always try a more "Dive" approach to your playstyle. When I play Cake Wars, I always get a few platforms, a cheap pickaxe, and always head straight for one of the nearby cakes-- two, if I move quickly enough. This strategy eliminates a significant portion of your competition and can secure additional resources to expedite the extermination of the remaining team(s). Just my advice, though.

Before this idea is processed, I'd like to see a little more discussion from the community and the players. Best of luck!

Posted May 20, 2019
    rexh17, nolawn and Jaxxy like this.
  4. I am liking this idea so far. Overall, Cake Wars needs to be a hardcore game as things can easily get competitive for your casual player that is only there to have fun. Another reason why it should be in the hardcore games section is that like you mentioned, the average game takes from 15-20 minutes, which is quite long for the casual and intermediate section of games. Since players like to get competitive there, it can be a more enjoyable environment for them when they can engage faster and not sit on their generators for minutes on end. This can add intensity to the game, which is what more competitive players want.

Can you specifically describe exactly by how much are the generators sped up and the cost items increased? It just makes it easier to work from for Mineplex to test the game.

+1 for now

Report a User | Report a Bug | Apply For Java Trainee | Rules| My Profile

Posted May 20, 2019,
    Last edited May 20, 2019
    Jaxxy likes this.
  5. I meant that the generators would either produce the same amount and have the prices lower, or have the prices the same and have the generator generate items faster

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 20, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  6. I don't agree with adding another gamemode for Cake Wars. I understand that it is a fun gamemode that players like to enjoy. The issue is that the game will last a short amount of time because most of the players can be more competitive. For XP, I think that it will be easier because you can able to level up quicker than usual.

Overall, I will have to give this idea as a 0, but it needs more explanation of this idea.

Posted May 20, 2019
    Jaxxy likes this.
  7. I understand that Cake Wars can get a bit competitive and last a while sometimes, but personally I disagree with adding a whole new game mode for it. It really depends on the kind of players you join a game with. Sometimes you join with people who are more competitive, which can cause the game to last longer especially if there are multiple competitive parties in a game, and sometimes you join a lobby with players a bit more laidback who aren't as intense to play.

While it definitely depends on the people you're facing, I definitely agree that the generator spawn rate and cost of items in the shop can make it go a bit slower. If another gamemode were to be added, I don't think the only difference should be that you can get gear faster. If anything, I'd rather see sugar rush come back as it's own game mode, as you get diamond armor right away and it's more about fighting than sitting on the gen forever waiting for gear.

Posted May 21, 2019
    Jaxxy likes this.
  8. I kind of agree with you as some players would feel like playing a game of Cake Wars, but at the same time, barely or don't have any time to play a whole game. This would actually help finish a game, but wait: what about annoying hiders?

+0.5 for now till the hiding issue is fixed.

Posted May 21, 2019
    Jaxxy likes this.
  9. multiple new gamemode suggestions for cake wars come up in discussions every day and always get shot down... I don't understand the point of adding a new type of the gamemode when it's just going to split the rest of the community up and make the games less likely to start... Yes, if the server was more popular it could have been able to benefit from this, but I see literally no point in adding new gamemodes other than changing up what is already working.

in my opinion, longer games are generally more fun... it's a challenge to what the normal tryhard parties usually deal with, which is 3-4 minute games where all teams have no players that know much about the game... but that's not what the game should be... the game should be fun, not quick...

even if this were to get added, I would be extremely disappointed and probably wouldn't play it anymore, the spawn rate of the game currently means that players aren't able to get full iron or full diamond way too quickly, the game should be at a steady pace, which it is right now. Besides, other games deserve more updates before cake wars get another one, the game has been updated way too often and it's about time we show some love to the other games... cough champions cough

-1 on the idea since I don't think the changes are needed and it'd just make the game less fun than it already is.

Posted May 21, 2019
  10. I somewhat agree with this idea, but I think it has too many downsides to it. As stated previously by @ClqssyOwl , the player population is already pretty split around the server. At the moment, Cake Wars doesn't have the players to sustain having multiple types of the game. As an idea, it's a pretty cool concept. Faster resources and lower prices pretty much incentivize people to rush each other quicker, making games a lot faster. I could see this being a game mode I'd play occasionally. But overall, it just doesn't fit with the network at the moment.

-1 to this idea since there's no point of this game mode at the moment.

Posted May 21, 2019
    Jaxxy and ClqssyOwl like this.
  11. The thing is, I don't think cake wars is that slow. Whenever I play, the game is usually over in 8-10 minutes(it can even go down to 2 minutes depending on whether there is one team that is extremely good at rushing) maximum is 20 minutes(and that's only when the two remaining teams are either extremely skilled, or extremely cowardly) and cake rot usually starts around 15 minutes into it anyway. I don't know if it's because I am a bedrock player or not, but games are usually pretty fast pace and the first cake is usually gone in a minute or two, often less. So, at least on bedrock, I don't see why this would be needed. If you are concerned about the games being slow, all you really need to capture emerald points or even destroy cakes at the beginning of a game is a wood sword(which you spawn with) some blocks(you can infinetly craft blocks out of bricks) and a pickaxe(only when the base you want to attack is using endstone). That's only 9 bricks you need to really get started(8 for the pickaxe, and an extra one to craft blocks with). That seems to be an interesting limited time event maybe
    -1 to the idea at least on bedrock. I don't know about java and I can't speak for Java players

Posted May 21, 2019,
    Last edited May 21, 2019
    Jaxxy likes this.
  12. On Bedrock it must be different, it's at least 20 minutes until a team is eliminated
    --- Post updated ---
    I agree, I just thought that having a gamemode that ensured a shorter game for the more casual players would be something that a good majority of Cake war players would enjoy
    --- Post updated ---
    Yeah, the population on the server is a bit low right now, if Mineplex manages to get past 10k once more, then this might be a viable option.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 21, 2019
    rexh17 likes this.
  13. I guess it might be different on Java, I'll give this idea a 0.5 because what you are suggesting is basically like a normal bedrock cake wars game, so I was thinking maybe this could replace the other, much slower version on cake wars

Posted May 21, 2019
    Jaxxy likes this.