• 925 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 7487 Players Online
  • 6562 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Centralize ingame reporting

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Cheezeburgerfan, Apr 18, 2021.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. I respectfully disagree with your idea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Today i'd like to talk about the various ingame report systems and how I think ingame reporting can be made more efficient. The reporting systems I will discuss are the systems that do not require any evidence and rely on quick staff action in order to catch the rule breaker in the act and punish them. From what I can tell there are 3 main report systems that fall into this category:
    1. /report
    2. Staff Request
    3. Discord Bot
    Now, it seems to me that it would be more efficient if ingame reporting was centralized into one system. Currently people use all three systems to report hackers and the staff team is spread out across all three systems. There is also the concern that staff members might use some systems more than others, so the systems that are not checked by staff as often are less efficient. If there was one system, then all reports would go through that system, all staff members would focus on that one system instead of being spread out across three systems, and therefore it would be more efficient.

It then becomes a matter of which system should be used as the centralized report system. I think /report is the most efficient out of those 3 systems. The discord bot system is not ideal since it requires players to be in the mpd, which a fair amount of them might not be, and it is not very well known. Staff Request is not as efficient because there is often off topic conversation and memeing in the chat. That just leaves /report. Currently /report is not very effective for catching hackers, but I think if it became the centralized report system there would be more staff members processing reports and it would be more effective. Now i don't know much about how the /report system works on the staff team's end and how efficient it is on their end, so I would certainly appreciate feedback from staff members on the matter. If the /report system is not very effective right now, then it could be updated to be more efficient and work as a centralized report system. If /report was made the centralized report system, then Staff Request and the java reporting functionality of the discord bot would obviously be removed. Also, forum reports would continue to function normally since they fall under a different category of reporting.

Again, i'd especially appreciate feedback from staff members since they can offer a lot more insight into this.

Posted Apr 18, 2021
  2. It’s funny you mention this because we were all talking about it as well. StaffRequest is an excellent way for players to get support as they play from staff members online but there is also so much trolling in the community nowadays that sometimes it’s more hassle than good. Many of us agree with you, that reporting players in-game should be centralised to one system. /report needs major major updates and there are so many that staff have planned for months if not longer and still actively push for. However what we need is the actual development time, and that unfortunately is a hard thing to get.

Currently it’s staying as is. The three ways to report players you mentioned as well as forum reports. Sure, it’s a bit scattered everywhere but in a sense it’s also good - if a player is not a part of one of these platforms - say, being kicked from StaffRequest - then they have plenty of other options.

Posted Apr 18, 2021
  3. I definitely think that the reporting system should be centralized into one system. All of the staff members can focus on /report, which would make it more efficient. I would really like this to happen. Now, I still think StaffRequest should still exist for questions and questions only. If people continue reporting players in StaffRequest, sure, they would get taken care of, but they would also get warned, and possibly kicked. But I give this a +1.

Posted Apr 19, 2021
  4. 100000% agree. I think /report needs a major overhaul and have a lot of ideas for the staff side, but some of my public facing thoughts:

Increasing the amount of time for reports to expire
    Increasing the number of daily reports before you hit your report limit (tbh I think it should be something outrageous, like 10,000 a day)
    Having reports marked as priority if more than x number of people report them.
    Integrate with GWEN, prioritizing reports that are likely damaging games at the moment.
    A more transparent system for chat reports what specifically you got punished for.

and a bunch of other ideas.

Posted Apr 20, 2021
  5. I agree in part for the hacker/rule aspect of the /report command.

I feel that the chat aspect of the /report command is incredibly efficient and useful, and does not need change. The way that currently works is it essentially takes a snapshot of the chat, and we can review it as soon as we go to handle reports and we can see who does what without flaw or errors, and I know the staff team likes to handle these the most since they are the easiest, and quickest to do.

Mods are graded by their mentors on how many /reports they want completed per week/bi-weekly (the amount varies per mentor), and a chat report counts as the same amount as one hacker report when checking how many reports their mentee did, but the chat is infinitely easier and a lot less stress and work since all you have to do is read it, and go, "Hey, that's filter bypass!" And mute, or deny if not sufficient. Whereas for the hacker and gameplay reports there are so many reports, and fewer staff doing it. Once you do a hacker report you follow the player, watch them for games and honestly, a lot of the time it's usually a player reporting someone who is closeting that normal mods cannot deal with, or those who aren't actually breaking the rules. So for that reason a lot of staff focus on /report for chat, since it meets their quota in a more efficient and easier way. That isn't to say that people don't do the /report for hackers, its just a lot less and often the players log off before they get to your /report.

Given the nature of having to deal with hackers, however, I have no clue how this could be made more efficient considering watching hackers is the same process each time no matter how you change the reports. As @whalker said it could be made more efficient based on number of players reporting someone and GWEN data inter-worked as well, but it will still be inefficient unless a larger majority of the staff team works on the hacker reports as well. (Maybe for the quota instead of lumping all /reports together for staff, have a set amount for each so that they can differentiate the report type??)

I have to disagree with a one central way, since there are players banned from StaffRequest who still need to report, and there are players banned from /report who still need to report, and having many ways helps. Sure it is a bit scattered, but that's why /report is the primary function in-game since all staff are able to do those, and required by their mentors, whereas StaffRequest isn't necessary and the forum has a dedicated team.

Ultimately, id say /report is best for chat offenses, StaffRequest is best for hackers/rule breakers in the moment and the forum is best for overall hackers since players can log off or toggle.

Posted Apr 20, 2021
  6. Yeah, it sounds like that problem could be easily solved if mentors created separate quotas for hacking reports and chat reports.
    Yeah, the current system is flawed and in order to make /report the centralized report system there would need to be some changes made to the /report system, but once those changes are made I think StaffRequest should be removed.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 20, 2021
    Fusafez likes this.