• 2273 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4357 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Change Dragon Escape's Start Message

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by saltyfishhy, Oct 20, 2019.

1. In the game Dragon Escape, at the beginning of the game the brief message that tells new players how to play says, "Last player alive wins!" I consider this to be untrue, and mildly misleading. For those of you that don't know, you can win Dragon Escape in 2 different ways:

1. When all players have died, and no one has reached the finish, the player who has ran the farthest distance is the winner
    2. The player that is first to make it to the end of the course wins

That being said, the statement that the last player alive wins is inaccurate. The last player alive still has a chance to either overtake the person who made it the farthest before they died or make it to the end. This means that although the last player alive could win, they will not always win and sometimes it could be the person who died first, or second, or any other place who had the biggest lead that could win the game.

Because of these reasons, I think that the statement should be changed to some variation of this: "The player that makes it farthest or to the end first wins!"

Thanks for reading and contributing to this thread!

Posted Oct 20, 2019
    Animalll, _Prof_ and Yikl like this.
  2. Should be changed but takes up "valuable developer time" to change it lol

Posted Oct 20, 2019
    matrixyst likes this.
  3. Suggestions are the basis of a lot of what they do and even though it takes them a long time to implement them often times they do make positive changes. However, I think they should not see suggestions like these as 'wasting time', but I honestly think they don't already view it this way. Although the team is small, and it often takes a lot of time to make changes, they still do their best to do the work that will make the server better, and I think the community as a whole needs to learn to appreciate them more, as they are the foundation of this server and part of what keeps it going.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 20, 2019
  4. Hello!

I see what you mean and how it can be misleading, however, I don't really think it matters as not many players would read it anyway and probably know the basics of the game. If this was to be changed, maybe it could be changed to "Run the farthest to win" or "Make it as far as possible!".

Posted Oct 20, 2019
  5. I consider this to be untrue, as when I was still learning Mineplex I found those messages to be quite helpful in getting a better understanding of the game, and although I do not personally read them anymore as I know how most games work, other players who do not could benefit greatly off of these messages and a change to something more accurate would be helpful in achieving a better understanding of the game.
    I really like these ideas, I personally think they fit well with the game and it's rules.

OP OP
    Yikl likes this.
  6. I agree with changing the start message. As you mentioned, either the player that progressed the furthest in the parkour or the one that finished the map first is the winner, instead of the last player standing. I really like PazyYT's suggestion of the line "Make it as far as possible!" as it concisely describes the objective of the game. Although the goal of Dragon Escape is quite self-explanatory, I think changing the start message would still be beneficial for new players who are not familiar with the game.

Posted Oct 20, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  7. I definitely agree with implementing this change. While it would be a very small adjustment, you are right that the current message is quite misleading. Therefore, changing the message to a more accurate description on how to win would eliminate confusion for new players, and just increase the overall clarity of the objective of the game.

I believe something like "The player that finishes first or gets the farthest wins!" or "Make it as far as possible!" (credit: @PazyYT ) would definitely be an improvement!

Posted Oct 20, 2019
    jxcb and saltyfishhy like this.
  8. Hey!

Firstly, I personally think that most of the player base understand what Dragon Escape is, and how you play it, but I do also believe we are constantly getting new players logging on, and for that reason I still think it’s necessary we make sure the starting information for the game modes is accurate and makes sense. I also like the suggestion made by PazyYt, in my opinion it sounds nice and would work well if added into the game. I honestly never through of this being an issue until you brought it to my attention, and now I think about it, I think the starting message is deserving of a change. It would be a nice, simple change, but it also isn’t extremely important or necessary as there are more important things to be worked on.

Thank you for suggesting this to the community, and overall, some sort of change to the starting message to reflect how you can win the game would be pretty cool, and eventually, I hope we can see this become a reality!

+1

Posted Oct 20, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  9. Thanks for the kind words of support!

OP OP
    AyyNick likes this.
  10. Hey!

I definitely agree with this change and never noticed this sooner! This is for sure an overlooked error or possibly just an undealt with occurrence. The beginning message, as others have agreed with above me, should contain a message such as "Make it as far as possible!", suggested by @PazyYT. This is much more fitting for the true aspect of Dragon Escape, and as stated in the original post, can be misleading for new player's attempting to grasp the objective of the game. I would love to see this implemented and could not agree more with this idea. Thanks for suggesting!

Posted Oct 20, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  11. Now that I think of it, you're definitely right on the mark with this one in that it doesn't accurately reflect the reality of the game. The one's you suggested in your original post seem a bit long but i really like the description of "Make it as far as possible!" I think it encompasses the current message as well as the true objective of what the game is all about. It incorporates both possibilities of dying and making it to the end. Overall, a +1 would love to see this changed.

Posted Oct 20, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  12. Hellooo
    I definitely agree with changing the start message. I hadn’t realized it until you pointed it out, but the start message can definitely be misleading. The winning player isn’t necessarily the last person alive. It’s the person who makes it the furthest in the map.

I think this would definitely be a good QoL update. I’m sure most people who play DE are aware of how someone actually wins, but this would be helpful for someone who is new to the game.
    Nice idea, +1

Posted Oct 20, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  13. hiii!

I really like this small change! It can confuse some newer players that they just need to stay alive the longest when in reality they need to be the farthest from Douglas by the end of the game. However, I do think that the gameplay is pretty self-explanatory since, like most other Parkour gamemodes, the entire point is just to reach the end and be fast while doing it. While I do not think we need to make it a priority at the moment, I certainly would not hate to see it implemented and do think that it could help out a few players and not hurt in anyway possible.

Posted Oct 21, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  14. umm people read that...?lol...

Posted Oct 21, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  15. Kind of yeah. I don’t personally, I just noticed it. But the point of the message is to inform new players. As I once was a new player I can testify that these messages are indeed helpful, so I think although it is not the biggest concern, it should be a proper representation of the game and how it works

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 21, 2019
  16. Heyo!

I always found the help messages to provide accurate foundations of what the game has to offer, and an accurate representation usually attracts more attention as well. This would be something good to clarify, as players may be trying to LIVE the longest instead of MOVING the farthest. I like what Pazy said, but a small edit would be "make it as far as possible to win!", or just "first one to reach the end wins!", although this one will be more confusing.

Considering Dragon Escape has its own NPC as well unlike other MIN games (correct me if I'm wrong, I could be thinking of Dragons), this would be a more desired change than other MIN games, though I think the introduction messages can be changed either way as well. For now, I'll leave this as a +1 as this would most likely be beneficial for most players. Have a nice day!

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  17. Heyo!

I don't think this change is really necessary, but I don't think it will be hard for the developers to do. I get that a newer play might not understand the game completely, and yes the game information is very important in learning how the game works. I do like the idea that Pazy suggested: "make it as far as possible to win!" I would add "make it as far as possible to win or be the last one standing," I think this makes it a little easier for newcomers to understand the objectives of the game.

Although I don't think this is necessary I don't see any harm in changing it. I believe it will help players understand the objectives of the game better and make the game easier to play as they will be more knowledgeable about what to do. I'll give this a +1 as I do see some players finding this information useful. Good idea and let's hope it's implemented!

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  18. Hey!

Having an incorrect game description doesn't belong anywhere, and it can be many misunderstanding for the new players with having this. So obviously this has to be updated. I think that the suggestions PazyYT came up with would be much better than the current description. I'm glad that you had your eyes opened, and noticed this!

+1 from me, and hopefully this will be updated soon!

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  19. Yeah, it's not too big a deal but it is something that should be implemented. In terms of playing the game it could definetely get confusing for new members of the community to play and then see that once they're the last person standing that they're still alive. I remember playing dragon escape for the first time and not knowing in any way what was going on. +1

Posted Oct 22, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.