• 558 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3137 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Implemented Changing/removing the "Notable Members" page

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by Marzie, Jun 29, 2019.

Tags:
?

Get rid of the "Notable Members"

1. Get rid of it all together

2. Get rid of the post count leaderboard and make it something else

3. Keep it how it is

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The lovely @Ender Rivka made a post on the forums about some changes that should be made, but a point that came up is changing/removing was the Notable Members post count page.

Why should the post count leaderboard be removed?
    It is competitive and essentially encourages post boosting. How? People want to be a "Notable Member," so some will make small, short posts on the forums to get up there quicker. Those that are competitive about it and want to stay up there will also do the same. This makes the forum quality drop dramatically.

If it's removed, what will it become?
    Well, I'm not too sure. I very much like the newest members, birthdays, and find a member thing at the bottom, but you wouldn't need an entire page just for that (I mean, you could, but why?). Was hoping other people could maybe throw someone ideas on what this could be if removed.

Please view this thread too:
    https://www.mineplex.com/threads/post-boosting-where-you-stand-and-what-should-be-changed.51559/

Posted Jun 29, 2019,
    Last edited Jul 5, 2019
  2. I definitely agree with this. While it's a good place to find active members of the forums, it was a problem even on Enjin (before it was removed). While it's cool to see, it's not really helping anything, except encouraging others to be competitive, like you said.

If I can remember correctly, there was originally a page to see the highest amount of likes. Unless I'm blind and just can't find it, I honestly liked that feature. It's hard to be competitive with that since you're not the one controlling it. Instead, it could allow other members to view who is actually creating quality posts instead of posts that could just be post boosting.

If we do turn that page into the leaderboards for likes, the term "Notable Member" could be kept. Either it could be changed into just keeping track of this new leaderboards or we could keep it for the people on the current one. I believe that some people on the current page might be upset to see their work wasted if they do put time and energy into maintaining their positions and posting on the forums. This might allow the full list to be harder to find and thus just a perk to posting more on the forums for you to have tucked away for others to surprisingly find.

Other than that, it could just be a player list. I find it a bit difficult with no actual website members directory since I'm curious and finding other players who aren't staff is a bit hard.

Posted Jun 29, 2019
    Unfavorited, CZArkolan and cerns like this.
  3. Honestly, I didn't think that notable members was a good idea from the start. Things like this encourage competition and post boosting, which is something we want to avoid on this website. I've seen a lot of people post things that are short and not really helpful just to increase their post count and hopefully make it to the notable members page. Like you said it just decreases the overall quality of the forums. To combat this, I agree that it should be removed and replaced with something else.

SnowyKitty mentioned an idea that I think would be really good; that being most likes. Likes usually come with posts that contain a good amount of detail/points, and I think that would increase the overall quality of forum posts. Sure, there will be some people that could just like all the posts of their friends, but honestly that comes with every competition/leaderboard and should be expected. I just think it will be less of a problem than if "most posts" were kept.

Posted Jun 29, 2019
    Unfavorited, CZArkolan and RodgersMDH like this.
  4. @xUmbreon @SnowyKitty We used to have a "most likes" board along with the post leaderboard, but it was removed because people got likes from profile posts and groups, and the community didn't like that. So unless they fixed it to not count profiles post/group likes, then it could possibly be a thing to be added back.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 29, 2019
    Unfavorited, Sophie_OGrady and Jaekub like this.
  5. I don't see the purpose why we need to have the "post counts" on the Notable Members page. It promotes users by "post boosting," which I'm not proud about it. They'd end up breaking the rules, and receive their consequence. It's just only a number of how many replies they have posted on someone else thread. I'll have to agree with an idea you have.

I'd agree with SnowyKitty's idea of the "most likes" part. The only issue is that the users will spam their likes just to increase their count. If they bring back the "most likes" board, then they'll spam the likes.

Posted Jun 29, 2019
    Unfavorited and CZArkolan like this.
  6. As one of the notable members I don't care if it stays or gets removed and I post to threads that ask for help or ideas, nothing else, most people in the notable members page give good input on threads not +1, or "yes", and a lot of people don't even know about the page, ( they will now). Wanderer already said its going away, ok, no big deal, but that won't stop the post boosting, people will still post the one word posts just to make posts, the rules need to be focused on, I see posts of "yes" or like it and they didn't receive a point for it, so it will continue.
    "Likes" ......that's a joke, if you get rid of notable members then don't add a "like" list, I see people liking friends posts just because it's their friend not because post quality or a reason to like it. It's the same as the other feature that was removed, blanking on the name right now.

Posted Jun 29, 2019
    Unfavorited and CZArkolan like this.
  7. I mean.... that’s not a bad thing
    --- Post updated ---
    And I’ve seen staff themselves have short posts that don’t really mean anything so the “yes” or +1 shouldn't even be a problem

Posted Jun 29, 2019
  8. Ya, maybe not be the best examples, more towards the posts that have nothing to do with the thread I see that then it gets the topic off hand because of what they said.
    Also when people post:” report bugs here”, after someone has already said that same thing, and then 3 more say that as well

Posted Jun 30, 2019,
    Last edited Jun 30, 2019
    Unfavorited and Strafer303 like this.
  9. Taking account of Mineplex's current state, I am neutral on this. I do not care if it gets removed or not, that does not bother me. I will leave the poll unanswered.

You made some legitimate points about the encouragement of post-boosting the notable members page promoted. Players would want to get themselves out there and put minimal effort into their posts. To be blunt, it also is not hard to spot post-boosters blindly responding to threads in a desperate attempt to get on the leaderboard. All you really have to look at is the quality of a their posts in sections that are not Off Topic or Forum Games. If someone actually wanted to help, they would care ore about the insightfulness of their posts, not spamming one sentence answers across the forums. Oh boy, does it get annoying to waste a few seconds ever so often just to be notified about someone that left a 1-line response to your/someone else's thread.

On the contrary, there will be some drawbacks to the removal of the Notable Members page. To my knowledge, the only place you can find out if someone's birthday is today is the Notable Members page. I certainly would not like to go through every user's profile I see to check for people to say "happy birthday" to. Another flaw this could pose is that the forums are lightyears less active than it was in 2015. Although the leaderboard attracts post-boosters, it can still be healthy in a way for Mineplex to give life to the forums, not in a very positive way, but one nonetheless.

Report a User | Report a Bug | Apply For Java Trainee | Rules| My Profile

Posted Jun 30, 2019
    Unfavorited likes this.
  10. I completely agree with removing the post count leaderboard. I'm not against competition, but the post count leaderboard decreases the quality of the forums, and competition is supposed to increase the quality of posts.

What I would like back, is the like leaderboard because as @SnowyKitty said, other people rate your quality. The only change I'd make from the old like leaderboard is not counting likes from groups and your profile.

Even after this, people will still post boost (people just love doing that) so the post boosting rule should be more strictly enforced.

Also, thanks for the free advertising :)

Posted Jun 30, 2019
    Unfavorited and cerns like this.
  11. The like leaderboard is and will be the same issues as the notable member leaderboard, and probably worse, you can see likes on posts that has nothing to do with the original post, but because in a lot of cases friends want to like everything that their friend posts regardless of what is said, which will lead to massive like counts, and because there would be a leaderboard for it, that will get out of hand very quick.

Posted Jun 30, 2019
    Unfavorited likes this.
  12. While I am not against the idea of removing the posts section, a good idea would to make post boosting ban-able and then it actually introduces healthy competition because people will then want to post more quality posts, I also noticed a lot of people mentioned the length of the post and that some staff members don’t post longer posts, and it bugs me cause really we shouldn’t be judging by length we should be judging by quality of the post, a shorter paragraph can be a lot better than 3 full paragraphs but most of it is information that is irrelevant to the conversation. That is my 2 cents.

- Thunderbelly

Posted Jul 4, 2019
    Unfavorited and Strafer303 like this.
  13. Replies in bold:

Posted Jul 5, 2019
    Unfavorited and Thunderbelly like this.
  14. Post Farming is not something that should be praised on the forums. I agree with removing the top posts leaderboard.

Posted Jul 5, 2019
    Unfavorited likes this.
  15. OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 5, 2019
    Unfavorited and _Prof_ like this.
  16. I personally don't mind it. I realize that people could post boost to get their post count up, but if I'm honest I never check the page, so the people there are kind of there for achievement rather than fame or something. If you made it there, good on you. If you didn't, well, it doesn't matter much. I guess in that sense I probably wouldn't even notice if it's gone.
    It could be replaced with something else or the parameters to get onto the page could be changed? ie. you have to make a meaningful post with x amount of words to get there. Other than that, I don't really mind if it stays or goes.

Posted Jul 5, 2019
    Unfavorited likes this.
  17. I don't mind it either, and no bias from my part being on there. It won't help post boosting that's for sure. Even if it helps a little, it is not the permanent solution to the post boosting problem. I'd love to keep new members and birthdays though even if they get rid of posts page.

Posted Jul 5, 2019
  18. Honestly wouldn't mind seeing it be removed. No doubt that the post leaderboard encouraged people to post boost. Getting rid of it will hopefully drop the number of people doing it, but will it solve the issue entirely? Not at all. I feel that post boosting will always be a thing in some shape or form, so there should be stricter rules on it. What the punishment should be, I do not know, but in the past months post boosting has been at its worse. I think as of now it settled down but it will come back sooner or later.

Posted Jul 29, 2019
    InZomniaa likes this.
  19. There has been so much unnecessary drama as a result of the “notable members” list. We should be encouraging the quality of posts and not so much the quantity of posts each member has. When I think of “notable members” I think of members who are both active and contribute a whole lot to the forums. Some people care too much about this list and it only helps if it was removed. Besides we did not have this feature on Enjin so I don’t understand the value of continuing to have it.

Finally, I believe @Wanderer has indicated that this is something that jay he removed in the future, however I will let him speak to this.

Overall, yes. Get rid of it. It does not provide any value added to the server and just encourages people to post on the forums not because they want to contribute to discussion but because they want to up their post count.

Posted Jul 29, 2019
  20. I'm fine with it being removed as long as forum leadership doesn't pretend like it's a solution to post-boosting, because it isn't. There's no substitute for rule reform.

As for what it could become, like you said, it could become a general members page showing a member search bar, birthdays, and new members within a certain period of time. However, I would also add in this month's Staff of the Month and Mod of the Month so people can go congratulate them.

Posted Jul 29, 2019
    Ender Rivka likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.