• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8115 Players Online
  • 5225 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Classics Cow: Suggested Rework & Revival

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Jaek, May 30, 2020.

1. Hello everyone,

Today I bring to you a suggestion of reworking the Classics Cow and bringing it back (yes I know that this has been denied before). If you don't already know what the Classics Cow is, it was an NPC that had lobbies for old, removed games, and allowed players to gain stats in them. Every week or so, there would be a vote in MPD on the next game to be in the Classics Cow. This system needed lots of dev time to keep the games up to date and making sure the games were ready to go.

As you may already know, the main priority for the server is working on the new game, and here's where we can capitalize on this. Once the new game is released and hotfixes are pushed, the playerbase will have its attention on the new game. This gives Development the chance to get the old games up to today's system and tested for bugs before they're pushed. How long will this take? To be honest, I don't know. I'm not a developer. I can't give you that answer. What I can give you is that there will be time for these games to get worked on and ready for re-release.

With the release of the new game, some older players will probably come back to check out what's going on with the server and try out the new game. If the new game is addictive enough, it brings player retention, which is very good for Mineplex. With these returning players retained, you want really dive deep with nostalgia, and guess what, these older games will do just that.

"Yooo! Castle Siege? I remember that game!"
    "Wizards? I remember playing that in the good old days."

This will also give the already dedicated communities to their games a chance to gain stats and play with different players for awhile, which will also make the Classics Cow quite the popular attraction.

Now, let's get to the point. How do I suggest the Classics Cow be reworked? Will this work? I can't give you a definite answer. This might not work since I don't know everything, but it's worth a shot. My suggested rework is to:

-Make the Cow have a programmed rotation that's monthly. If this isn't possible, just change the game whenever the devs go in and add the Immortal Cosmetic in.

-Games would consist of ones having the code still here, to minimize the required dev time to get these games working, which include:
    Castle Siege
    Heroes of Gwen
    Champions TDM
    Skyfall
    Wizards
    Castle Assault (unsure if this one still has code, but it's still in the stats GUI)

That's 6 games, meaning they come around twice a year, which would still make their return special.

-Cow would always be amped with x2 shards. This gets the attention of newer players wanting shards, making the games a little more popular.

-There would be a spot in the Compass showing rotating games for the Classics Cow, and hovering it would say,
    "CLASSICS COW
    Play classic games!

This months game is <GAME>!"

And you would be queued for the game upon clicking, just like any other game on Mineplex.

-The NPC would move to the center of one of the lines of portals (can't log in right now and don't know the portal locations off the top of my head, but I might update later with more of a precise location) and contain the name of the game for that month and that it has double shards active.

Closing
    Bringing back the Classics Cow would take some work. Games will need to be fit to the newer engine. Bugs will need fixing. Rewards will need balancing. But I truly think this is a great investment of dev time for all players, experienced or not. Experienced players will want to grind these games for wins and achievements, and newer players will want to try out the games that they've never seen before or remember from the past and want to try it out again. Fun for everyone.

If you have any additional suggestions, need clarification, or have a general problem with my idea, please let me know.

Posted May 30, 2020,
    Last edited Jun 14, 2020
    Fusafez, souper, CrazyOfTim and 13 others like this.
  2. +1 I believe, as you said, that this feature will allow for old players, those part of the communities for these removed games, and newer players to gather new experiences. The rotation aspect allows for all games to get practically equal time to shine. If it's possible to make the process automated, like you mentioned, then there's really no downside to it. Even if it's not, it shouldn't be that difficult to switch while updating the Immortal cosmetic, so I like that idea as well. Maybe it because I have a bias towards one of the games, but I still feel like the majority of people would really enjoy it.

Posted May 30, 2020
  3. Hey! Read through this and honestly this is a really good idea, and I hope it does get implemented in some way. Players that used to play Mineplex a few years ago might even come back to it for that hit of nostalgia sometimes, and that includes me. As I used to be an achievement hunter, I would love to see a return to most of these games and try doing the difficult achievements they have to offer! And I'm also sure newer players would love to test out the games and be captivated by the shard bonus.

+1 Really great idea, but it might take some time. I'm willing to wait!

Posted May 30, 2020
    SpyNinja__, avae and Jaek like this.
  4. Great idea. I remember when the Classics Cow would feature a different removed game every week, and how excited players would be to try out a new game. Not only would the implementation of the Classic Cow excite current players, but it would also bring back old players—as you've mentioned—which is key to Mineplex's growth and sustainability. I especially like how each game will remain on the server for a whole month, since it gives players a chance to grind out these games. This would be especially true for games that have a player base, like Castle Siege and Wizards. Great idea overall.

Posted May 30, 2020
  5. I really like this idea. I was not here when Classic Cow was around, but from reading the description of it, it is really cool. I definitely think this would work, as it would bring back players that really like that game for a month, and players would be waiting for that game to come back if they have a certain game they always play. I just have one suggestion, which is to move Squid Shooters to Mixed Arcade and instead put Bawk Bawk Battles or Skyfall in its place. Overall, +1 for me!

Posted May 31, 2020
    Dudeguy, SpyNinja__ and Jaek like this.
  6. That'd be a good idea. BBB code is gone, but I believe code for Skyfall still exists. I'll make the change.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 31, 2020
  7. I would love for this to get implemented again; so many people are begging for some of the old game modes to be released. Assuming this is implemented, I hope that this inspires some of the older players to give Mineplex a shot again with their favorite game modes.

Posted May 31, 2020
  8. Hello!

I definitely want to see come back of Classics Cow since I as well as some other players want to play old removed games as on a public server. The concept to have a different old game each month is cool and I like that especially a reason why you'd to get that (old players attention) but might be it's not the best thing we can do but I'm not against that.

My idea what I want to suggest is to have a game server like Mixed Arcade but instead of arcade games in rotation, it will have classic/discontinued games. It might be better than have different games each month since players can play all old game without waiting for a month to get another game. If we do that, we need to exclude Skyfall from games list since it will create issues because it's 1.9 only game.

We also can gather some statistics every month about how many players played a game which was hosted for the last month. In the cause of my suggestion, we will gather statistics of how many players play a specific game from rotation. Using all this data, the decision about re-adding specific old games as normal games can be made.

Also, I'd like to add that besides double shards, we can make to have double exp and maybe gems too to make players play that more often.

There is something which I want to bring out about the games you listed:
    • For Skyfall & Castle Assault (we have this game on MPS, so it exists on Mineplex), as I remember, we have some issues which need to be fixed before letting players play them, but they aren't that major and it should be simple to fix them.
    All other games shouldn't have any issues and it will be fine to play them and also since Tug Of Wool won't be there, it can be replaced with Champions TDM, so it still be 6 games.

I'm not really sure if LT would like to do that and if we can dedicate Development time to implement your idea or what I suggested. My suggestion is more simple to do since it will require just to create MIN like server but with old games only in rotation. Anyway, for both ideas, Dev time is required but not only for adding an ability to have that but also a bug fixing for old games. It's not good to have bugs in games even small one.

It can be more like an experiment to check if players will play old games a lot, and we can use results of this experiment to potentially decide to add a game which was played a lot within last month(s) as a normal game. When a new engine was released, it was told they will think about re-adding old games if the system with queues will work well which seems like does now (message with that is here).

I believe the community will like to get that, especially that it also can be used to decide about re-adding games in the future but due to bugs in old games which will require Dev time to fix them, I will give only +0.75 to that idea.

Posted May 31, 2020
  9. It was there for the first day after the arcade update, but had to be removed because of issues with the game itself, and would need a rewrite, according to Daniel, but I still think it's worth it to fix it and either put it in the cow or add it back to Mixed Arcade.

OP OP
    Young_Inventor likes this.
  10. +1 as well I think this actually well done and would defiantly make the old 2013-2015 players of mineplex happy with Castle seige and wizards coming back in some way. Overall I hope this does happen as it could help mineplex increase player count with it.

Posted May 31, 2020
    Young_Inventor likes this.
  11. We didn't get this game on Mixed Arcade rotation when an update was released for that in July, so I'm not sure what you are about. I myself asked Jay to add that (as well as Milk The Cow & Squid Shooter) to MIN rotation on July 2019, and he told me that he will address that, so it was included in changelog but probably was forgotten to be added in-game. They have been already thinking about adding this game to MIN rotation even in 2018.

Daniel told you "probably" when you asked him about that which wasn't an exact answer to your question which you asked: "it requires a rewrite, correct?". This game is not broken and doesn't require rewriting since there are no issues with that at least what I saw after testing. As I checked, it had issues before and probably it was on a public server only but it's not something which will require rewriting but will require a fix probably. We may test that this game works fine on MPS if you don't believe in that. Only queueing individually to this game from Arcade games page in compass doesn't work which is known. Anyway, this game shouldn't be added to Classic Cow in my opinion since it's more arcade game.

Posted May 31, 2020
  12. I can assure you that Tug of Wool was added to the rotation and quickly removed. Once all the wheat would be eaten, the game should have ended, but didn't until the timer was up, so I guess that's the only issue with the game. Milk the Cow currently exists in arcade, and squid shooter was never added. Tug isn't in the arcade GUI, and the other two can't be queued for. And yeah, I agree, it should be in arcade. But, if it doesn't get added to arcade I'd like to see it in the classics cow.

OP OP
  13. This would be an amazing addition. This would be a really good way to incorporate deleted games that so many people want to return. This would also mean that games that people want back that have smaller communities, like Skyfall, Castle Assault, Wizards, and Champions TDM can be implemented. I think this would bring back a lot of old players who miss there favorite game. I don't think Tug of Wool should be added. I don't think it would attract the same number of players as the other games would, and think it would make more sense to replace with Champions TDM, because I think a lot more people want it. I would rather Tug of Wool be fixed and put in the Mixed Arcade where it was originally supposed to be. Other than that, I think idea would greatly benefit Mineplex, this is one of the best ideas I've seen in a while. I know this isn't usual but...

+10

Posted May 31, 2020,
    Last edited Jun 5, 2020
    Fusafez likes this.
  14. I don't think Tug of Wool would attract as much players as the other games.

Posted Jun 5, 2020
  15. I agree with most of this except for some of the games.
    Skyfall requires players to be on 1.9 in order to play and this is the major reason why the game got removed. I’m not sure how many players play in 1.9+ but I think that most players still play on 1.8-1.8.9. This could result in the game not attracting a lot of attention for this reason. Im not saying that this game should not be in the rotation but it is something that should be considered.

For Castle Siege, this game should NOT be included in the classics cow rotation. Instead this game should be added back as it’s own game on the server. This is the only game out of the ones listed that has a dedicated MPS and a dedicated discord server. There really is not much of a reason to not add this game back to the server. There is consistent support for this game that no other removed game really has to the same extent and the presence of a discord server and MPS clearly shows that there are people who actually want to play this. That being said, I really think that you should support ReviveCS if you would like to see this game return to the server. There is a forum thread created by Danese on bringing back castle siege if you want further proof that castle siege is suitable to be its own game. Here is the link:https://www.mineplex.com/threads/br...dence-regarding-its-justified-revival.119280/
    If you want to support ReviveCS, all you need to do is reply to that thread.
    #ReviveCS

Posted Jun 5, 2020
    Fusafez and Jaek like this.
  16. I completely agree, but this is just a last resort if CS doesn't get to come back as a permanent game.
    #ReviveCS

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 5, 2020
    Fusafez likes this.
  17. This one line makes this the best idea on the server. They should definitely do this i want to grind wizards.

Posted Jun 6, 2020
  18. +1

A few suggestions:

-Add it to the compass so compass users will see it too (I don't know why I care about these things, but it should be raw beef)

-As much as I love tug of wool, I don't think it would work as its own. Maybe put it in something called "Arcade Classics" which would appear. It could be similar to the 5 year event those games
    (I know squid should be in MIN, but it hasn't.)

-Or just replace Tug of wool with Champions TDM

-Advertise it (youtube) so old players come back

-On the server header (CAKE WARS UPDATE), make it say CLASSICS COW: CASTLE SIEGE (Classics cow then what game), so players will realise what it is.

-Not throw it behind the lobby where no one goes

-Possibily to a one time discord poll with all the game listed, and the cow will go in order of winners

-#ReviveCS

Posted Jun 8, 2020
    Young_Inventor and Jaek like this.
  19. If CS gets added as its own game what should it be replaced with? I was thinking Gem Hunters because recently I have heard it get requested a lot, and it is an interesting concept. I also think that it wouldn't be too hard to do a re-write for it (if needed) because of how simple it is.

Posted Jun 11, 2020
  20. I would doubt Gem Hunters because it isn't a minigame and wouldn't really fit with the Classics Cow. They could possibly bring Squid Shooter back but it's a bug that it doesn't show up in the arcade rotation. I don't really know any other solution, but I'm up to hear some options.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 11, 2020