• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 10780 Players Online
  • 7890 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Competitive speed builders?

Discussion in 'Speed Builders' started by FLUffY_OrioN, May 30, 2020.

1. I play speed builders a lot, and I am starting to get better at the game, and I think it would be really cool to have some ranked or competitive speed builders that has a leader board within it, just depicting how well you did in the competitive version. I don't know if this is possible, but if it is that would be really cool!

Posted May 30, 2020
  2. Its a fun idea, maybe SBWL (Speed Builders Competitive League) but I'm not sure if it would have enough players to do these competitive games. If enough people are interested, I think it would be a great idea!

+1

Posted May 30, 2020
  3. Speed Builders is designed to be a more casual and relaxed game, unlike games like cake wars or survival games. With this in mind, I don't think it would make sense to have a competitive aspect to what is meant to be a non-competitive gamemode. However, if this was to be introduced, it would probably do well as speed builders is quite popular on Java and definitely on Bedrock.

Posted May 30, 2020
  4. Hi! I definitely agree that there should be some competitive play in the game. I don't think a ranking system should be added, however, because it will ultimately just make games slower and more annoying to join. It will also make the game more frustrating if you're just trying to have a relaxing game.

I think a step in the right direction would be creating leaderboards for how quickly each build is built. There are a few good suggestions for competitive Speed Builders play in this document that are currently being discussed by community insights.

I also think that solo play for SB in an MPS similar to Dragon Escape would greatly improve the game for practicing purposes.

Posted May 30, 2020
  5. You got a good point, and I defiently agree with the solo play, I guess it would make more sense to have it based off of build times because some people are better at building different types of builds, so people can figure out what their style of building is.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 30, 2020
    Johnny Welamton likes this.
  6. I'm iffy on this idea. Anyone who currently really enjoys to play SB will tell you it's a really chill game. The players in your lobby are basically never mean or toxic, everyone is chill and supportive of getting perfect builds and those who are really good at the game aren't too adamant about showing it off either (of course each point has a few exceptions).

With most games that become heavily competitive on MP, e.g. CW, BR and SW, it becomes really difficult for the casual players to go into the gamemode and really feel like they are 1. in with a shot of winning and 2. actually in for an experience that will be enjoyable and not just frustrating. Most games that have a heavy emphasis on being competitive have quite a low amount of casual players in them (with CW probably being a slight exception). Therefore, I'm a bit iffy about transforming the actual game into a competitive one as the majority of speed builders consist of casual players. i think there are certain games a competitive edge can make more challenging and enjoyable, but I think SB is fine where its. However, I'm 100% down for a SBCL if that is what is needed to keep the games with a similar atmosphere to what they have now.

While I think it would be really cool to have a total perfect build score, I don't know really how it will be implemented. There are hundreds of SB builds and some of them I have only seen once or twice. You would have to play the game a lottttt in order to see and get a perfect build for each one. Therefore, the leaderboard will be really hard to form and track and become a fully realised and actually accurate leaderboard. While a 10/10 idea in theory it is one of those things that are hard to practically implement. :)

Posted May 30, 2020
  7. Well, as for the first one, I didn't really mean transforming the main game into a competitive game. I meant adding kind of like a gamemode, like how CW has CW standards and CW doubles, there could just be SB casual and SB competitive. As for the time tracking, I saw this on another post that builds that have never been completed can just be marked as 60 seconds for an overall leaderboard, but just not be marked on an individual leaderboard for that level.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 30, 2020
    Palidity likes this.
  8. This exists -unapproved link-.
    another website has all of the builds with records but is not an approved link because it contains other games that may be inappropriate

Posted May 30, 2020
    Kippy_ likes this.
  9. Yo!

I think this would be nice to see if made correctly! I don't see a problem with Mineplex having a competitive Speed Builders tournament and though it is a chill/casual game, the people that are really good at it would enjoy a competitive mode I'm sure!

Posted May 30, 2020
  10. I think this would be a good idea. I am pretty good, not amazing but not the worst where I still win games. I definitely think there should be a competitive Speed Builders to make Speed Builders harder, as most of my games are filled with people that can’t build that fast or do not have good memory (not trying to be mean, but simply they are not that good) and I end up winning. So overall +1 for me!

Posted May 31, 2020
  11. Hey there!

Competition has been around in the Speed Builders community since the very beginning. The community surrounding the game keeps track of all the best times for each and every build, but as stated in duckle's comment above, the link is unapproved. I do think that Mineplex can implement a system that keeps track of all the best times and they are posted here, on the website. What I was thinking was that there can be a personal best (PB) tracker. What this PB tracker will do is collect the best times that each player has for each build, and will display that time to the player for when that build comes up again. For competitive purposes, the tracker can take the best time recorded for each build and count it as the world record. Another thing it can do is add up all the players PBs and the player with the lowest total time will be #1 on a leader board. The downside to this is that hackers can easily steal records and placements, so I think the best solution to this problem is a "verified player" system. What I mean by this is that a player can request "verification" and either a staff member or a player from a new subteam can make sure that that specific player is legit and can become verified. Anyways I think this is a good idea +1 from me!

Posted May 31, 2020
  12. This is an interesting idea and as I play a good amount of speed builders myself I would enjoy this normally there is one or two decent to good players I play with and having a ranked version will make it more competitive it will also allow for players that are just starting to play at the right level and not just get destroyed by the better players. Having players have i be verified by staff is an idea that I am going to have to be against this takes a large amount of time for staff and a hacker could easily turn off his hacks and play legit for one game. I would like to know more about how this would work and it sounds like a good idea.

Posted May 31, 2020
  13. Hey!
    I really like your idea!
    It will be more fun if we add this to the game.
    +1 From me!

Posted May 31, 2020
  14. I like the idea of leagues on Mineplex. However, despite the good stuff that this addition will create, this feature will also create some problems. One of these problems is that some skilled people may intentionally stay in a bad league in order to grind xp, gems, and achievements on weak players.
    One more thing that I would like to say is that this feature might help Mineplex to find hackers in an easier way. My idea is that most hackers will be in the best leagues and it will be easier to find them. You just need to find their nicknames in the leader board and somehow play a few games with them.
    +1 for this brilliant idea!

Posted May 31, 2020
  15. I actually was thinking about this the other day and I came up with some ideas for a second game mode for speed builders which could be for the competitive people. So the ideas I had were to make viewing time for the builds even shorter, maybe just to 5 seconds. This gives the well experienced people only a little time to memorise what they usually do when playing a normal game. Secondly, less time to build it. So with each round, the time to build gets shorter by 2 or 3 seconds. This means that at round 10 you'd only have 20 seconds to build if the round started at 40 seconds. It's a simple idea and I don't think I need to explain it. The third and final idea is that the round doesn't tell you when you've got a perfect build. Basically, you gotta trust yourself in what you've built. The timer would still end when everyone hits a perfect build but when it doesn't hit it then you gotta keep looking to see if you trust what you've made or if you gotta make a correction.

I plan to expand upon this but I believe this should be a part of a second game mode linked to competitive. Competitive would also offer a 1.5x multiplier on rewards compared to regular. If anyone wants to add on then I might include it if I decide to make a post surrounding the idea. I know lots of people that are competitive are also really good at the game which is why I added the extra challenge. May not fit into a "competitive" game mode as such but, like I said, I'll probably expand upon this in another post.

Posted Jun 20, 2020
    PewDiePizza likes this.
  16. My question is, how would a competitive gamemode of Speed Builders be any different than the current version? Sure, there are players that are a lot better at the game than others, but I don't think that means there necessarily needs to be a competitive mode. It's already competitive against the other players in your game. I guess you could try to match people that have better stats to the same games, but couldn't that just be done with the original game? That would allow players that are newer to the game to practice and get better. They could work to eventually get to play against harder players, but that doesn't need a separate gamemode from what is already present. However, then you have issues with people wanting to play with their friends that aren't of the same skill level.

I'm not necessarily against a competitive gamemode and I do like some of the suggestions made above by Cephxlon, but I think a competitive gamemode needs to be different enough from the current one to be worth it. Since there's already an in-game leader board that you can view in the waiting lobby that shows the top players, I think it comes down to making the game different enough that players will want to play one or the other or it will result in a large loss of players in one version to the other and could just be a waste of resources if the newer gamemode doesn't catch on.

Posted Jun 22, 2020
    Polar8 and PewDiePizza like this.
  17. I think that speedbuilders already is competitive, especially when you have the occasional pro in your lobby. Think about it, if you are the worst builder, then you're out. No re do's. No second chances. Speedbuilders may seem casual to a more experienced player just because they're better than most other people on the game, but competitive to the lower level players. And there already is a leaderboard in the original.

I think that if you take @Cephalon's ideas into account, then you've got yourself a new game.

Posted Jul 5, 2020 at 9:51 AM
  18. I would love to see some sort of competitive Speed Builders!

The game can be casual as stated before, however the game can also be very competitive with the right people. There are also some builds that you would need to build very quickly in order to get a perfect build on it. This could make some perfect build competitions, that'd be fun in my opinion.

Of course we already have leaderboards, but as @Alpfa said we could have a competitive league.

If would be thrilled to see this added, so I give this idea a +1

Thank you for sharing and stay safe!

Posted Jul 5, 2020 at 10:24 AM
    Alpfa likes this.