• 858 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9296 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Consistency With Post/Like Count

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by Sophie_OGrady, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Currently, only posts on the forums count towards a user's post count, however, likes from anywhere (profile posts, comments, groups & forums) count towards their like count. A better system, in my opinion, is to have consistency with the two. Preferably, only posts and likes from the forums themselves add to a user's post/like count as that makes the most logical sense to me, and is the best indicator of the effort and time the user has put into the forums.

Posted Sep 15, 2018,
    Last edited Nov 10, 2018
    Dutty, Smaland47, ClassN and 17 others like this.
  2. I agree with this idea. Some people seem to gain likes through just being in groups and what-not. It's unfair to those who spend time working hard on their forum replies. Your proposal is a good one! To improve the system even more, maybe likes could be weighted, if you make a response that's longer than x number of words, then you can get more of a reward than someone who posts something very short and rushed.

Thanks
    Techno

Posted Nov 6, 2018
    _Prof_, Chrris and Sophie_OGrady like this.
  3. I completely agree. likes from nonconstructive and constructive platforms being mixed as they are at the moment, which by the way is like mixing pineapple and pizza (lol GROSS), completely ruins my image as a quality poster.

Posted Nov 6, 2018
    _Prof_ and Sophie_OGrady like this.
  4. I agree too. You shouldn't be too get likes from groups and profile posts. Some people are just really popular and can get so many free likes even though they barely post. Not to mention, there's a lot of people that ask for likes in groups and on their profile.

Forum posts to like ratio used to be a thing that showed how quality your posts are, but now it's just a popularity contest.

Now I don't think we should not count those entirely, but a better way to go around doing this is to have a separate like system, like Forum Likes and Social Likes.

Posted Nov 7, 2018
    _Prof_ and Sophie_OGrady like this.
  5. I would almost like to see both count towards likes / post count. Sure, some people are popular and would get a lot of likes for that, but that is true for any posts they make on forums as well.

The only real 'downside' would be post counts being devalued in some sense, but I dont see this being much of an issue.

Posted Nov 7, 2018
    Partshade likes this.
  6. Disagreed.

The reason why I disagree; people who are popular, e.x. Managua/Charles, who own major groups have people who post a lot and he gets likes by posting a lot. It wouldn't be fair to the major group owners who get likes from interacting with their community to just suddenly say, "no, you can't have these anymore".

If anything, like Crash said, I agree with him.

Posted Nov 10, 2018
    xJon and Charles like this.
  7. Nah, it's 100% unfair to those who work hard to help Mineplex through the forums rather than those who make a group and get a bunch of likes from each individual (1 sentence long) post that takes one second to write.

Posted Nov 10, 2018
    florence ♡ and Sophie_OGrady like this.
  8. Not really, Charles (Managua) owns a rather massive group and kind of keeps some of these people still interested in Mineplex.

I don't get what's so wrong with it.

Posted Nov 10, 2018
    Charles likes this.
  9. There's nothing wrong with having a large group, but it's quite unbalanced.

Thanks
    Techno

Posted Nov 10, 2018
    _Prof_ likes this.
  10. Not entirely, he gets those likes by making a large group as he's engaging with his community, and people are like it.

It's entirely balanced. If anything, they need to just let posts in groups count as well.

Posted Nov 10, 2018
    Charles likes this.
  11. Walls and forums should, like the always were on enjin, be entirely separate. If people really care that much, a wall post/like count can be added only on the wall.

The post & like counter should reflect forum activity and post quality, or how well your messages were received - not silly personal statuses/group posts and how people felt about them.

Posted Nov 10, 2018
  12. This isn't about walls, entirely. Yes. it does include wall post likes but likes from groups also get included in their like counts. Posts don't get added because someone could easily spam their wall or a forum group and get hundreds of posts and stuff, easily.

Posted Nov 10, 2018
  13. Group walls are still walls, what I said still applies.

Posted Nov 10, 2018
    DanielW231 likes this.
  14. This whole situation is quite similar to the whole "potato farming" issue Mineplex had in 2015. Players would post boost or ask their friends to like their posts so they could get on the leaderboard and have a high number of potatoes under their character on the forums. To fix this issue, Minelpex removed the leaderboards and stopped showing how many likes each person had. Potato farming finally stopped and players received likes (for the most part) when they wrote a high quality post.

Now, Mineplex has another "potato farming" issue. When the site was first released, I found it odd profile posts and group posts gave you likes. Most of my group and profile posts are just announcements or random remarks, and I personally don't care about the likes I get on them. If someone likes my forum posts, though, I feel like I did a good job addressing the thread's topic or wrote a meaningful reply. Even if I don't receive likes, I ultimately don't mind, since I'm just happy giving feedback and helping out on the forums.

Basically, Sophie, I completely agree with your suggestion. I know people don't find it fair, and it's just creating more problems than anything. Likes can still be enabled on profiles and groups, but those are not counted when you click someone's profile to see their posts. They can be shown on your wall if you really care, but it should be kept separate from forum post likes.

It's not balanced at all? Making a profile post and group posts is not the same as making forum posts. From what I've seen on various groups and profiles, the posts on there take only a few seconds or minutes to write. If you ask your friends or have a lot of members in that group, then you can acquire likes quite rapidly. There are also no post boosting rules on your wall, other players' walls, or groups, so you can write 50 posts in one day and receive a ton of likes from that.

Making group posts count would be a massive mistake, since post boosting would be an issue in that regard as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you contradicted yourself in your next post, which further validates my point. The only things that should count are forum likes and posts.

I'm not trying to call anyone out for farming likes, but it has been a general issue from what I've seen. It's creating arguments that are completely unnecessary. I posted this suggestion in the FM org and hopefully it can be discussed with Jarvis and other forum staff.

Posted Nov 10, 2018
  15. Here we go.

Yes, this is similar but the issue is that groups were not a thing then. Groups are a thing now and they do have people putting quality into them. Charles (Managua)--FOR EXAMPLE--owns Stroot Gang, the biggest community. He spends every day replying to his community members and talking to them and keeping them interested in the group itself. He sits there and makes sure to say the write things and think of something clever to make sure each person things it's right.

I do agree that profile posts should be removed from being included but group posts should not be removed.

Again, I think that profile post likes should not be included in likes but groups should stay as is.

Yes this is true. But to make 50 posts that'd take 25 minutes to do so on a group. Again, there is a 30 second delay before you can post in between each one.

Okay, group posts don't count towards anything but likes. I think that wall post likes shouldn't be included but group posts likes should stay the same. My reason for thinking this, as I've said, people do spend a ton of time waiting for people to respond to a group message and then being able to respond to them, and there is a 30 second wait time in betweene each post. I really have to disagree but that is a personal opinion. I just don't think many people have really been able to truly abuse anything like this.

Plus, let me make this clear; there's barely any wait time on forum posts so I could easily go around making one sentence replies that still state an opinion clearly and then have my friends go and like my posts. I could make 30 posts and then have my friends go and like them all in a few minutes. Where are, making 30 posts in a group would take 15 minutes.

Alrighty.

Posted Nov 10, 2018
    Charles likes this.
  16. As I've already explained to you, I never wanted this suggestion to bring up specific people as I never created this with users in mind, but I'll comment on the example you brought up as it's hard to disagree with the point otherwise. I'm not discrediting the effort people put into groups, but I also don't believe it's as complex as you make it out to be. I just joined and had a scroll through the group you mentioned and I could see 10+ posts by the group owner instantly which were just silly little comments that didn't require thought, such as "yayeeet". However, I do understand it isn't all silly comments like that, and keeping users engaged by creating thought-out posts is something required. However, it's something completely separate to the forums and an entirely different concept. The effort and quality that group owner has put into that group has been recognized and rewarded by Mineplex, by having the option to sort groups through most viewed and most members, both of which have the group at the top. The effort and quality put into the group has that to show for it, and that's how it should be. However, this does not relate to the forums. The post count and like count should reward the users from the time and effort they put into the forums, which post count only takes into account and so should like count. They are separate things, and should be treated as such and so should the 'rewards' to those who spend time and effort.

Both her arguments here apply to both profile posts and group posts, it's the same concept.

That's furthering the point. It only takes 25 minutes to make 50 posts in a group and on profiles, whereas on the forums I know it'd take me upwards of about 10 hours to do 50 posts. It stresses how different they are and how there is a need for them to be treated differently, as it's different concepts entirely. They shouldn't be counted under the same category.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 10, 2018
  17. Thank you, Sophie, for saying it like that. It sums up what I've been trying to say. They're completely separate things and can't be combined as each like's value (or difficult to obtain) is completely different for the two components of the forums.
    Also @Dva you had a quite good post, +1.

Thanks
    Techno

Posted Nov 10, 2018
    _Prof_ likes this.
  18. To satisfy everyone here, why don't we have two separate posts/like counts, social like/post count, and forum like/post count.

Posted Nov 11, 2018
  19. Suggested this in a previous post. This is the obvious solution IMO. Have the main post count only reflect forum posts/likes then add a larger counter to your profile wall that showcases everything. Ex: [​IMG]

Posted Nov 11, 2018
  20. I wouldn't mind separating it considering it seems like a lot of people dislike the way they work now and prefer the old system. It's doable for sure. But for the time being we could settle on handling with "like boosters" on an individual basis (as this is a bit nit-picky for the beta in my opinion, especially considering not everything is quite "done" yet given the recent delays on that -- I admit my guilt there), then see if this stays an ongoing problem moving forward and deal with it from there.

For the time being, feel free to report "boosters" to the forums team through the report button(s). I'll note this down for further reference and discussion at a later time. Hope that settles you people's worries

Posted Nov 12, 2018