• 854 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9292 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Consistency With Post/Like Count

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by Sophie_OGrady, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Good idea!

I really like this idea and it should be implemented
    Keep up the good work @Sophie_OGrady (;

Posted Dec 29, 2018,
    Last edited Apr 7, 2019
  2. 100% agree with what cora is saying.

You can still brag about likes, many people do if you look around profiles and related discords because it's a fairly "in your face" number. This current system allows you to brag more, in my opinion, because of how easy it is to get likes that aren't able to be differentiated to forum ones, which are undoubtedly more difficult to achieve. If you can actually display the difference in the number of likes from social features and the forums itself, it would limit this.

If removing them from counting altogether isn't an option, then splitting them up is definitely the next best thing. It allows those to work hard on building a group/profile/community to get recognised for that, and those who work hard on the forums be recognised on that aspect. It's a win-win for both users who use the website for different reasons and have a number they can be proud of. Right now you can't be proud of it, because it uses unrelated and incomparable figures to create it.

Basically, this has been a problem since the forums were created in September. Can we please finally do something about it?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 6, 2019
    HeyItsAdam likes this.
  3. Agreed for sure. I think splitting it up would be best to prevent an uproar but also showing who writes good forum posts, not who is popular.

No hate towards staff members, but I definetly feel like the current system is kind of biased toward them. Staff accumulate likes easier that normal players because they get a lot from promotions and staff are just more likeable

Posted Apr 6, 2019
  4. Not necessarily more likable, but there are people on forums who definitely give more likes to staff simply because they're staff.

Posted Apr 7, 2019
  5. I don't think this should be changed. The like/post count consistency is fine how it is in my opinion. Posting on your wall shouldn't count as a post but you should be able to receive likes.

Posted Apr 10, 2019
  6. Well it still doesn't make sense that there's only 1 way to receive posts, but 3 ways to get likes.

Posted Apr 10, 2019
  7. Ya, I get where you're coming from, but you should be able to receive likes on anything you post, whereas your post count should increase whenever you're contributing to the community by posting on the forums.

Posted Apr 10, 2019
  8. y tho

Posted Apr 10, 2019
    Sophie_OGrady, Fall and florence ♡ like this.
  9. Likes show how much your posts are liked, and should be counted for all posts. Posts count as your contribution to the community, so only when commenting on threads or creating threads should your posts count go up.

Posted Apr 10, 2019
  10. Ok, but all I have to do to get likes is get a ton of people to follow me and then post regularly in a community or on my wall. I don't know why we're arguing about internet points of all things, but it's extraordinarily difficult to argue that the way it currently works makes sense.

Posted Apr 10, 2019
    Sophie_OGrady likes this.
  11. The problem is that it becomes a popularity contest. Have a popular group? You're going to have a lot of likes. Be an admin and post on your wall? You're going to have a lot of likes. It's better if they are separated because forum likes are less of a popularity contest than wall and group likes.

Feel free to have your own opinion, not forcing you to change it or anything. Just want to give you my point of view.

Posted Apr 10, 2019
    Wiz_Techno and _Prof_ like this.
  12. The issue with this is the two numbers are always placed next to each other. You see a person's post count always displayed alongside their like count which indicates they are comparable figures, which evidently they are not.

I agree you should be able to receive likes on both, as they're both important but the point is they're important in different and incomparable ways. Merging them makes no sense, and rather, displaying them seperately is much more fitting to recognise the effort put in by those on the social side of the website, and those on the actual forums.

Ok why but? I understand this is your opinion, but you've given nothing to justify that so it's hard to discuss it further than just me disagreeing with you. I've stated my opinion and given my justification for it, so if you could do the same I'd very much appreciate it so a productive discussion can evolve.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 16, 2019
  13. I understand, and I agree with you that they should be separated into likes from threads and likes from others.

I think of it in a sense of what each thing represents. When you see that someone has a high like count, that shows people really like this person's post. When you see that someone has a high post count, that shows that they contribute to the community.

Posted Apr 16, 2019
  14. see chief a high like count CAN mean that you're either favourised like sophie or considentally running the biggest community on here, and high post count can mean that you're like me but have wasted even more time clicking post reply

Posted Apr 17, 2019