• 1328 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9766 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Creative Development of MP

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by IntoRainbows, Jul 26, 2019.

1. The overarching intent of this thread
    ...is not only to share personal observations and constructive critique, but also to promote positive discussion in regards to the overall growth of Mineplex.

I wrote this thread about Mineplex’s corporate image related to user interactivity and general communication between users. Various media topics will be discussed including advertising, branding, design, illustration, motion graphics, social platforms & written content.

For your reading enjoyment:

I have not included spoilers. I understand the slight inconvenience of skipping through text walls, therefore I have included a designated format that is intuitive for readability. I would appreciate readers engage with the content, whether or not it is read entirely, but kindly refrain from responding without reading a full sub-section. We all enjoy being informed, and I request that in your transparency as either a company representation of any level or as strictly a community member that you are respective in. Opinions are great, but keep your common courtesy in composure.

I have used bullet points for your convenience because I feel the possibility of it helping to either quote ideas shared throughout these passages or to make the overall presentation fluid in your viewing.

Enjoy the read,
    -IntoRainbows

//

Mission Statement
    -Including a brief, formal "To..." statement in retrospect to the company's core values (As one sentence)
    -This not only establishes documented purpose for the company, but also empowers community goals
    -The mission statement would be placed where the current "M" logo is which promotes positivity on social platforms
    -Furthermore, the "M" logo could be used as the navigation bar home-page redirect icon to limit redundancy
    -Phrasing is at the discretion of Mineplex executive employees, but I would suggest keeping it timely
    -The boilerplate text used in voting websites and in internet SEO (Search Engine Optimization) should be adjusted accordingly

Footer Copy About MP

-Including a summary (2-3 sentences max) describing what Mineplex has to offer, both for the casual member as well as the veteran one
    -Landing pages set the stage, but footer about information draws the curtains; exciting but not bombastic, and captivating but not distracting
    -This serves as an "About" page without having to include extra page clutter, and likely would be more responsive in impressions
    -The footer copy would be placed between the Mineplex logo and "All Rights Reserved." text

Logo & Merchandise Initiative

-Designating a set of brand guidelines for logo usage, copyright content, and other items
    -This demonstrates a level of industry maturity at the forefront, but it also is helpful for production
    -The guidelines would be drafted for web and design purpose but have core potential to interest growth in visuals
    -Future employees working in relevant fields would benefit from set information used to construct exciting web content
    -Gradients have a significant visual appeal in including an arsenal of colors, but they are difficult to bring
    -If merchandise is ever re-introduced to the official shop, gradients are drastically more expensive for printing
    -Swapping the gradient for the orange included in Mineplex's former logo brings recognition nostalgia and is cost-efficient

Social Cover Banners
    -Social platform banners should be changed entirely as significant updates are launched
    -Server specific events including those for Valentine's Day, July 4th, Halloween and Christmas should reflect the seasonal atmosphere
    -Repurposing the artwork used for Twitter, YouTube, email banners and static imagery would be based on arrangement of type & content
    -Facebook allows for animated banners and would range from the introduction of frame animations as well as video compilations
    -An example of a GIF banner is having the new map photos cycle, with smooth transitions, for Build Team map updates

Website Landing Image

-Altering the website landing page artwork per event reflective of social banners mentioned in the prior sub-section
    -This brings consistency, a recognizable cross-social identity, and has impactful relevance in the promotion of content
    -Being consistent is important, but utilizing the same artistic style is not necessary as it explores individualistic approaches to problem-solving
    -The overall beautification of creative aspects included in the company's visual demonstration increases user experience

Text Aesthetic & Buttons

-Graphic effects on click-through text including drop shadows and feathered outer glows should revert to a hue shift when hovering over type
    -Mineplex's high-contrast color palette has assisted in the immediate success of the current website and should be represented as a brand component
    -The round buttons shown in square bounding boxes, even with equal padding, neither corresponds to the high-contrast mentioned nor to overall presentation
    -Altering rounded rectangle button edges to crisp, sharp-edges keeps consistent and remains inviting alongside the company's playful color palette

Game Page Artwork

-Illustrations represented on pages including Games & Leaderboards should be updated to fit the artistic style Mineplex mentioned in previous sub-sections
    -By shifting the overall style of Mineplex's artwork on pages, this encourages productivity in creative development of the company's visual assets

Marketplace Layout

-Altering the logo to a higher resolution image reflective of suggested changes showcases overall seriousness in the products being advertised
    -Users are more likely to continue viewing a page with good design of course, and being consistent is much more influential than being an aesthetic choice

--- Post update ---
    I am bumping this to be certain that it is seen, I posted at last night and thought updating with this response would provide exposure for suggestions

--- Post update #2 ---
    Thank you everyone for your feedback, it's much appreciated!

Posted Jul 27, 2019,
    Last edited Jul 29, 2019
    Airolt, DanielW231, Wanderer and 5 others like this.
  2. I gotta be honest and say a lot of this almost corporate speak goes over my head. For example, what does "Landing pages set the stage, but footer about information draws the curtains; exciting but not bombastic, and captivating but not distracting" mean? Maybe I'm just alone and stupid.

Though, the things that do make sense to me (which, for the record, is a solid 60-70%) seem like solid changes that don't have any negative aspects. So good job on them. Some of these ideas seem to require special artistic endeavors, like Halloween-specific banners, and I'm not sure if MP would be willing to commission artists to do that, but I hope so, because they do add to the respective holiday atmosphere. And atmosphere is incredibly important.

Posted Jul 27, 2019
    IntoRainbows likes this.
  3. A landing page is the first page you see when you get to a website. So for Mineplex, that is the major announcements you'll see if you type the domain into your search bar. It is the first thing you see like I said, while the footer at the bottom (very bottom of the website, beneath all the quick links.) The language used for footer text is brief; you have a lot of ground to cover and not much space to do so. It should draw someone in, at the very least to acknowledge something factual like the year Mineplex started (the current footer). Having the language be too playful, serious or any tone that is unsettling can lead to less users. Granted, it's the footer and isn't seen like a landing page, but still holds weight. Details make the difference.

I apologize for any corporate speak, this is how I write documents in my academics and it carries over when trying to come across as legitimate. Thank you for letting me know, that was a major concern when writing it because it gets very technical. I wanted this to be public but the audience it is targeted at varies by relevancy. I understand your thought on having the artwork be commissioned, but there's also the Media subteam I believe could enjoy this. I can't speak for anyone on this manner of course, all I can say is in my opinion I'd love to encourage seasonal atmosphere!

Thank you again Class! Message me here or on Discord if you have any nitty-gritty questions.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 27, 2019
    ClassN likes this.
  4. As with @ClassN, I'm not really too clued up on these things. But I completely agree that all of the things you've said that I can make sense of sound like good marketing tools for the company, I'm sure that Wandy and Social Media are currently in the middle of working together on marketing, for example, the games page was one of the more recent developments in this regard.

I think since you seem to be a person who is really clued up on how this works, I would strongly advise if you're looking for an opportunity to make a bigger difference with the company that you apply for a job at our jobs section of the server forums. Best of luck if you do apply/intend on applying!​

Posted Jul 27, 2019
    IntoRainbows likes this.
  5. Hi Oscaros, thank you for your response! I remember seeing the addition of MP's Games page, that's something that helped encourage me to write up a bit on it publicly. Shane knows what he's doing of course so I tried to give sound reasoning for ideas related to web design instead of simply providing "don't x" or "change y". I took a look on the jobs page before responding to your comment but did not see something I would be comfortable doing (I neither have programming experience nor applicable skills in the listed Marketplace areas!) Thank you for the suggest nonetheless, I'm trying my best to make a difference :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 27, 2019
  6. Hey!

Thanks for writing this post, there's a lot that I see here so I'm going to leave some feedback of my own as responses to what you've put. I will say first though, thank you so much for taking the time to put this together! It's greatly appreciated!

Mission Statement
    I think this is something that could definitely be looked into. If we did a mission statement, I'd like to see it be something that's very community oriented, and provides a general outline for the type of behaviour we hope to have on our server. If we outline what we hope to provide as a server, not only in terms of games but in terms of community, we could potentially attract more new players.

Footer
    If we'd be making a mission statement in the first place, I think we could simply use the mission statement as the footer for the site. I do agree we need something there though, as many players will go to the bottom of the page to access important links that are listed there.

Logo & Merchandise
    I disagree with your point about having a public Brand Guidelines document, in my opinion it would make it extremely easy to produce forged releases, which could cause an issue with how we're viewed. I could see how we might want to provide a downloadable version just of the logo, though, as that might be used in video thumbnails, etc. As for gradients, as far as I know we don't have any plans for reintroducing merchandise so I don't see that as a problem. I think the visual appeal versus a solid colour makes it very much worth it.

Social Cover Banners / Website Landing Image
    I honestly really like this idea. I'd combine the two, as it'd be much easier to have one holiday banner for both our social media accounts and the landing page. I think if we were to do this, due to the small number of people on our Media Team, we'd only make banners for holidays instead of every update that comes out. Either way though, I think it's a good idea!

Text Aesthetics
    I frankly feel as though the way buttons work now fit the theme we already have for the website. I do believe adding outer glows/ drop shadows to some of the buttons would look nice if implemented correctly.

Game Page
    I believe we already have high-quality artwork shown for each game here. I honestly don't see where we really need to improve anything on this page, the artwork matches other artwork throughout our site currently.

Marketplace
    As I said before, I think the logo as it currently stands is visually appealing, so that wouldn't be changed. Otherwise, as far as I know, we don't have control over our marketplace page, as that's run by Microsoft/Mojang.

Thanks for all of the input, the feedback is greatly appreciated!

Posted Jul 28, 2019
    IntoRainbows likes this.
  7. It could use a makeover if it's possible. The art for most of those games is from an artist who isn't even employed anymore (That doesn't look like Wandy's style of art. If it is, it's from 2016 or 17)

Posted Jul 28, 2019
    IntoRainbows likes this.
  8. Hi Voca! The art looks like old work by ARTilldawn/JBDrawing who did illustrations for MP in 2013/14 based off the old footer the Enjin site had during that time. In response as well to @ZTB it may be old work of Wanderer's, but either way it's not current and I personally don't believe it fits the theme, including the current website header. The MP logo in the Marketplace is low resolution which could certainly be a quick fix/easy solution. As for the branding guidelines, there could be a business and a public version with he business one being more nitty-gritty/detail-orientated of course. A lot of major tech and digital companies, as well as smaller ones, have some kind of branding shown in the quick links :)
    --- Post updated ---
    Bumping to possibly get feedback, I hope that's ok.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 30, 2019