• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 10468 Players Online
  • 7578 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Death Tag Update Suggestions

Discussion in 'Death Tag' started by Incarcio, May 29, 2020.

?

Is Death Tag Somewhat Getting Boring?

1. Yes, it should be updated.

92.0%
  2. No, it's fine the way it is.

8.0%
  1. Hello, I have been playing Death Tag for about 6 years and a full update on Death Tag would be very exciting and possibly bring in new players or keep current players playing more! I have seen my friends submit maps in the past few months and have not seen a change to Death Tag at all other than the April Fools event.

Suggestions for Update:

1. New Achievements - Multiple achievements that are skill based. Examples - "Long-Shot" (shoot an infected from over 50 blocks), "Still Alive" (Survive for over a minute with less than 5 hearts), "Master Killer" (Kill 8 or more players in a single game).

2. Bow boosting needs to be removed - When I came back to playing a year ago, there was a new feature that was named 'bow boosting' by the Death Tag community. This is a feature that allows runners with the archer kit to quickly shoot an arrow and give them a few block advantage while running. Bow boosting is unfair and is exploited as it allows runners to 'bow boost' to unreachable spots that you couldn't get to without using the bow boost. As well as having speed and the ability to shoot chasers, bow boosting provides the Chasers with an ever BIGGER disadvantage and overall is bad game play in my opinion.

3. a:The GWEN anti-cheat subject - sometimes when you are running from chasers and they hit you, you get teleported back a very small distance, but it allows the chaser to get a second hit on you when it should've allowed you to get out of range. The biggest issue with this is that it can happen consecutively on occasions, it has been very unfair when in some cases I am at full health, I get hit and move back and it repeats itself until I go from full health to death in a matter of seconds.

3. b:There is also another issue when standing on half blocks (slabs, or bottom part of stairs) more than 2 blocks above the ground that when walking off of, occasionally teleport you to the ground. This has a pro and con: pro-you don't take any fall damage, con-the point of walking off is to gain distance, but when you go straight down in a teleporting style, it defeats the purpose of you going down. It is also generally annoying.

I hope that these changes can be considered by the Mineplex Staff Team and can hopefully be implemented into Death Tag for a better experience and a more exciting game! Thank you for your time.

Posted May 29, 2020
  2. I notice the achievement ideas and believe these are a good idea, as Death Tag only has two achievements wheras many other minigames have much more (such as Dragon Escape). I like the sound of the Master Killer achievement in particular.

Bow boosting was not possible when I quit the game, however it is interesting to see the Death Tag community develop and learn new ways to play. Often I find it somewhat to chase bow boosters, as I get so close then they hop to a spot that takes a while for a chaser to get to, but I respect it is their way of running. I do not feel that bow boosting shows the ability of a runner, but more the strategy of a player.

I too find the bug in Death Tag frustrating, especially getting glitched in blocks and then not being able to move - which then leads to a death. I also thing that players hitting others into fenceposts should not lead to players being kicked or banned by the anticheat (as it leads to a toxic way to play the game and troll others with the traitor kit).

Posted May 29, 2020
  3. I agree with this. I've been in the Death Tag community for around 5-6 years as well and the only updates I've seen are new maps. Nothing new to achievements and nothing new to correcting gameplay. It'd be nice to see death tag get a fresh update to maybe gravitate players towards it more. I agree with the bow boosting part a lot. Some people who get good at bow boosting can boost to spots where chasers and even runners with speed 1 can't reach. Also glitches are a big problem because they limit how well you play. A clean slate update would really improve the game. Please take it into consideration. I really agree with this and it's needed asap.

Posted May 29, 2020
    Johnny Welamton, x3bood and Incarcio like this.
  4. Yeah I like this post, the same 2 achievements since I started in 2014. It’s getting a bit lame, and I think Mineplex should really update this before even more players quit the game. Mineplex should really listen to the community’s ideas, like why remove the map Shiro? Instead of making up ideas, why not ask the game’s community itself?

Posted May 29, 2020
    Johnny Welamton, x3bood and Incarcio like this.
  5. i agree with all of these apart from bow boosting. it gives you a short speed boost which can sometimes fail and it's a strategy. best way to fix it is fixing the map exploits.
    also gwen seems to ban everyone but the hackers in dt

edit: people seem to think i said that it cancelled fall damage for some reason

Posted May 29, 2020,
    Last edited Jun 4, 2020
    Johnny Welamton likes this.
  6. Hello, you may all know me because I am always playing death tag pretty much all day everyday :P
    I will try to provide my feedback on your thread
    1. The extra achievements would be nice to see and necessary if they ever decide to implement an achievement kit into death tag. I agree with these additions.
    2. I personally also do not like bow boosting even though I use it sometimes. It’s been ruled over and over again that it shouldn’t be removed as it it a feature of vanilla Minecraft. While that is true, in vanilla Minecraft when you bow boost, you get boosted into any direction, not just forward. Bow boosting in death tag only propels you forward. However I am not entirely sure about removing it, while I personally don’t like it, there are many players that do and removing that feature would weaken the archer kit and make it less fun to play, potentially killing the kit and boring players even further.
    3. Bugs are inconvenient and I agree that those should be taken care of. There are a ton of bugs in death tag, but I know some are being worked on. Be patient as these fixes can take time to fix. I’m sure they’ll be fixed.
    Overall nice thread and I have actually written my own thread about achievement kit ideas If you’d like to check that out it would be appreciated :)

Posted May 29, 2020
  7. I couldn't agree more with what Incarcio said, death tag really needs to be updated.

- There are zero downsides to adding more achievements, so i'd love to see that.

- I agree that bow boosting should be removed, it wasn't in the game until they re-wrote the code for it a while back, and it's kinda OP if you master how to use it.

- YES, GWEN makes this game 100x more frustrating, lagging back when someone hits you and dying, when you know you could've easily escaped makes me wish i was dealing with hackers instead of the Anti cheat.

There's also the problem of players choosing to be chasers, which was mentioned in another thread, but i thought i'd also mention it here, i'd honestly like to see it removed (since it makes boosting way easier, and that happens frequently in DT), but that probably won't happen, so a limit of 1-2 players being able to choose to be chaser is a better solution.

Posted May 29, 2020
    Johnny Welamton, divve and Incarcio like this.
  8. yea I honestly can't play in the actually DT lobbies, it's just a bunch of teamed players, everyone has a rank and the games seem really lackluster. Bow boosting is a common thing for "experienced players" which really defeats the purpose of the game. The game in itself is practically broken, and I only play it in Mixed Arcade lobbies because it is pretty much impossible to win against people with LB stats and team with the chasers. Not to mention the teamed traitors who will 2v1 you off a spot you are trying to get to (and then one purposely dies at the end giving the other person the win). I've been in lobbies where the Human players try to help the chasers by bow boosting them into my spot to kill me, I just don't understand how it's a fair game if you are playing solo.

Posted May 30, 2020
    Johnny Welamton and x3bood like this.

9. I completely agree with you, I feel that there's parties who are deliberately playing to cross team or "truce" with opposing sides, not to mention the players who will follow you in solo and then later on ghost your position to the enemy team. Furthermore, the general majority of players now are more or less leaderboard contenders and high play time users, as stated previously.

Personally, I feel that Death Tag could do with an update involving maybe more customisation of kits or more playable classes. Perhaps, even a map change could bring a "fresh" playing field with lots of new areas to explore for hiding spots. I also like the new idea of achievements, as it gives people who are regulars on the game more tasks to focus on in-game. As mentioned previously, I wouldn't necessarily remove bow boosting, however maybe include an element of slowness if you are hit by a chaser, if that can somehow be implemented without causing any side to become overpowered.

On the subject of GWEN, there are other games which involve lagback, not just Death tag, however on the topic of Death Tag, there are certainly some blocks that "rubber band" you back to a previous position, which I'm sure can be extremely frustrating when running from a chaser. Other blocks such as anvils are also a prime culprit for lagging back - Or it's just my internet. Regardless, I agree that some improvements may need to be considered in the anti-cheat to prevent players teleporting backwards.

I'll be honest, whenever I'm in-game, I'm always combed to Narnia and back so lag back for me doesn't mean much as I'm usually going backwards anyway!

Posted May 30, 2020
    Johnny Welamton and x3bood like this.
  10. In the GI discord, we have made the first draft of an update document for Death Tag (so note that nothing is set in stone). We also decided upon the "Long-Shot" achievement as we think that's a fair challenge. We also have the "Master Killer" achievement written down, although we have it so you only need to kill 6 runners for the achievement, as 8 is half the lobby which we thought was a bit too much to ask. We also have an achievement where you need to kill 3 runners within a minute.

In regards to this "Still Alive" achievement, I'm not sure how it would work. If you were below 5 hearts, you would passively regenerate enough health to be over that within a minute, so I'm guessing you're meant to get this while fleeing from chasers and getting occasionally hit/taking fall damage from parkour? I like the idea in theory, however, it would be easily abused - you could just take enough fall damage to get below 5 hearts and keep doing so for a minute. That's not much of an achievement, is it?

I half agree with this idea. I don't think bow boosting needs to fundamentally be removed. I just think that the OP spots you can boost yourself to should be barriered off. As @trqzh said, you could use bow boosting to cancel your fall damage and other neat tricks such as that. That takes a considerable amount of skill, and so I think that should be kept in the game for the people who perfect that, as it increases the skill ceiling.

If you see someone that has bow boosted to an unreachable spot, send a picture or the coordinates to the Map Issues team so that they can barrier that area off. If the chasers can't reach a spot someone's in, that also would count as map exploiting, so you could report them as well.

I'm a bit confused by the two bugs you've mentioned. I don't play too much Death Tag, but I've never experienced either of those bugs. I can see there's a lot of Death Tag veterans in this thread, though. Do you guys also experience these bugs often? If so, I could add them to the update document for now.

@divve you're welcome to join the GI discord to suggest and discuss changes to Death Tag if you feel that you're not being listened to. In the arcade channel, we're currently focusing on some other games, but we will eventually get around to going through DT again (this can apply to any of you that want to join the discussion as well - just PM me and I'll tell you how to get an invite).

Posted May 30, 2020
  11. Yeah, there is a glitch with the slabs and it makes you teleport down sometimes. I’ll try to record this today and I’ll send it to you.

Posted May 30, 2020
    Johnny Welamton and Xukuwu like this.

12. I agree with what you said about achievements, also tiered achievements might be a nice addition, although none of the other arcade games have tiered achievements so it might be out of place.

I truly think that bow boosting should be removed completely, the tricks with canceling your fall damage and boosting just a tiny bit while running are fine, but there's times when runners will make a such big leap in distance between them and the chaser that it feels very cheat-y, and that can't be fixed by changing stuff around in maps.

I can confirm the bugs with the anti cheat, if you play the game for a while you're bound to experience them at least once, i'll try to get a recording of it happening.

Posted May 30, 2020
  13. Hey!

Honestly, I'm not a big Death Tag player, but I definitely think that the ideas you listed would improve the game! What really stood out to me was the “Long-Shot” achievement you listed. As I'm sure you’re aware, Archer isn't the most popular kit, as lots of people main traitor kit. With that being said, I definitely think that this would get lots of Death Tag players using this kit. Other than this, I think that all of your suggestions were quite good and should definitely be implemented!

Posted May 30, 2020
  14. I contradict your praise on using bow boosting to cancel fall damage, if you fall from a height that will kill you or reduce your health significantly. That's the consequence for making the mistake of falling from such a height. Although Traitors could be the reason you take so much fall damage...that's kinda the point of Traitor Kit as suggested in the name. I definitely don't agree with this and believe that Bow Boosting should be removed entirely as it wasn't in the game in the first place and doesn't belong in Death Tag. It makes the game unfair and gives the Archer Kit a bigger advantage other than being able to shoot chasers from a distance.

A way to keep the "Still Alive" Achievement from being abused would have the requirement of being hit by a chaser at least twice or three times during that period of time.

I also want to suggest a Basher Kit based Achievement. "Bashy Basher" or "Ultimate Basher", it will require you to have 3 or more Chasers slowed down by the Basher Kit feature. I think many players will Appreciate it in an update since Basher Kit isn't very used.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 30, 2020
    Xukuwu and x3bood like this.
  15. You make a good point here. I know that some maps, such as Bathroom and Bedroom, have water source blocks on the ground so that if you know the map well you can stay around there so that you can jump down and take no fall damage if you need to escape. That's probably a better way to let experienced players get around the map easier. I genuinely can't think of any counterpoints to your argument so I agree with you on that point.

Yeah, a Basher achievement would be cool, but I don't think that's the best way to make Basher used. Shoehorning an achievement into the game just so that people actually use the kit is pretty boring and people would only use it for that achievement and then go back to the other kits. A better solution would be balancing the game so that Basher would be more viable. In the GI document, for the time being we've decided upon giving it increased regeneration (1.4x vanilla regen). I'm not a Death Tag player, so I have no clue how good that is, but I hope you can see my point that we should make a kit be played by giving people a reason to play it beyond an achievement.

That would be an improvement, yes, but in my experience of Death Tag lobbies, a lot of people like to team with each other even if they're on opposite teams. So many people would be able to get that achievement by just getting their friend to hit them a few times, which again, ruins the point of the achievement.

Posted May 31, 2020
    Incarcio and x3bood like this.
  16. I also agree. i love death tag ( i play it around 6 hours a day ). Even tho i do it all the time i would love arrow boosting to be removed.

Posted Jun 22, 2020
    x3bood likes this.