• 1128 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9566 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Disable Chat Filtering

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by spacexplorer_, Jun 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. (Java)
    So, there should be an option in /prefs to see the messages that were filtered.
    This is what I'm talking about:
    With option disabled: why are there glitc********s on my monitor
    With option enabled: why are there glitchy pixels on my monitor

The reason for this is because I am not offended by people calling me bad words because I beat them, and since the chat filter is often glitchy, I would love to see the actual message.

(Also this should not be on Bedrock since there are more 7 year olds and parents who are highly concerned about what their children see on the internet, so there's that)

Posted Jun 28, 2019
    whatsup34 and Diyn like this.
  2. I don't think this would be a good idea. First of all, Mineplex presents itself as a family-friendly server, meaning that swear words or inappropriate messages have no place on the network. While the chat filter can be sort of glitchy occasionally, implementing this idea means we have to sacrifice our family-friendly status. Kids would easily be able to see filtered messages by performing /prefs, which pretty much renders the filter system useless. Due to this being easily exploitable by children, I don't think it would be a good move to implement this on the server.

Posted Jun 28, 2019
  3. I agree eith AceSjus, I also think this would create new problems if it was implemented.

Posted Jun 28, 2019
  4. I believe this same idea was denied by LT in the past, for both disabling the chat filter as a whole or just parts of it. Reasoning for it being denied iirc is that Mineplex is directly affiliated with Minecraft and inappropriate language doesn’t belong on Mineplex at all. Totally agree with this and that most of our filtered words are filtered for a reason. Some words are racial slangs that are offensive to almost anyone and it wouldn’t look good if those terms were “allowed” or unfiltered. A lot of our players are young and I really wouldn’t want their parents being even more concerned about them and what they’re seeing. I don’t even want this myself as it would make Moderation a bit difficult with words being unfiltered. Unfortunately this will be a -1 from me.

Also, if you find words or phrases that shouldn’t be filtered, you can always bring those up to any member of Rules Committee which you can find them at www.mineplex.com/rules under “Ingame Rules”. You can also contact the RC Admin Toki about broken filtered words or phrases as well as she deals with the filter mostly.

Posted Jun 28, 2019
  5. I am neutral about this idea. Like others said, Mineplex is a family-friendly environment so starting off, chat filtering should be enabled. There are also older audiences on Mineplex that are okay with graphic language. Me, personally, I do not mind people swearing or talking inappropriately unless it is not too extreme. However, Mineplex needs to create a healthy atmosphere for all ages of players, thus adding a filter and letting young children be able to see the filtered words would not be beneficial. It can also be less useful when punishing for filter bypass. Extra effort is needed to ensure a word would not be filtered if the filter was off. You would need to turn it back on and message yourself the exact spelling and context of the player's message. As you can see, the filter is not just here for people to avoid spotting bad words, it is also the reason the filter bypass rule is even existent.

Report a User | Report a Bug | Apply For Java Trainee | Rules| My Profile

Posted Jun 28, 2019
  6. Has been suggested before, was denied. (See this post). I don't think the opinions from LT on it have changed, so I'll be denying the idea. Feel free to pm me with any questions, though!
    Thread locked - addressed.

Posted Jun 28, 2019
    nolawn and _Prof_ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.