• 707 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11619 Players Online
  • 10912 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Processed Disabling taunts?

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Glitchy, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As @Jaekub mentioned - the main thing I don't understand is if you don't like the "is this easy mode" taunt I don't see why that means we should remove the "[player] got so bored they took up gardening!" and harmless ones like that - they're all being labeled as "bad" or "toxic" even though there seems to be an issue with just one or two specific ones. I agree with Marzie's idea of them not being displayed if you have the player ignored as some people do use taunts all game - but as already mentioned several times above they're not serious and shouldn't be taken that way.

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  2. I mean, they essentially do the same thing. If someone chooses to disable taunts, that’s their choice and it doesn’t “devalue” them. Same with ignore, it would be a choice.

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  3. You still don't get it do you? It doesn't matter if they are correct or wrong. What matters is they have the authority to make decisions and implement changes. Simply being right or wrong does not make changes in Mineplex, authority does; Mineplex does not run purely by morality. It's a simple as "If you don't like taunts in Mineplex, find another server."

Ask stupid question, get stupid answer.

I think saying "Is this easy mode?" is not as rude as outright saying "Get rekt lol"

I'm stating the obvious unbiased truth. You're being very subjective with "rude" and "toxic".

Hey, this is not a philosophical debate, it's just general idea discussion.

Current overview of players response in participation of this discussion is tied:

1. Glitchy 1
    2. RobbiinK 0
    3. Nolawn/Shaiym -1
    4. canqda -1
    5. ppancake -1
    6. Creepbro06 -1
    7. Evira -1
    8. Marzie [Sr. Mod] 1
    9. stewy37 1
    10. TheProTroller 1
    11. leo_thya 1
    12. Dero -1
    13. Phamtastic -1
    14. whatsup34 0
    15. landay -1
    16. ssnip 1
    17. __TacoCat__ -1
    18. Waspter 1
    19. Jaekub 1
    20. Zipppo 1

[1] Yes/only when /ignore = 9
    [0] Neutral/no stance = 2
    [-1] No/unnecessary = 9

Posted Aug 20, 2019,
    Last edited Aug 20, 2019
    Yato - Inactive likes this.
  4. Wasn't removing taunts already "Unplanned" ?

taunts are literally just a joke. I see it can be taken as toxic, but even -snip- has taunts-like phrases in BSG it can say "(player name) has rekt (player name)". Is that toxic? I feel taunts are mostly in good humor.

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  5. YESSS. It's just a game and I don't need to be pampered with eMoTiOnAl SeCuRiTy as if I'm a weakling with a glass heart/ego. If others can't handle it, they have to learn to g r o w u p and m a t u r e .

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  6. But here's the problem. Someone could use the taunt every single time after they kill someone. This is the equivalent of saying "L" or "ez" but it's a cosmetic. Is this a huge problem? No. Should players be able to turn these off by /ignoring the player being "toxic". Arguably, yes.

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  7. I personally disagree. Taunts are meant to be a joke but it also really depends on what you consider toxic. The only issue I see here is the player who is trying to taunt the player verbally or being toxic. I feel that should be the main concern. I've never personally found a taunt being used against me as insulting. Sure maybe this player killed you and taunted you "Is this easy mode" but that's just banter and it only escalates if the player is insulting you in chat, or you are insulting them in chat.

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  8. Just because someone has authority does not mean they don’t listen to other people. Mineplex surely doesn’t have a “if you don’t like it, then leave” mentality, otherwise the server would literally be dead. Mineplex listens to feedback and even has dedicated teams for it so I really don’t know what you are saying.

Just trying to see how you define toxic. If you can’t define it, then toxic could mean anything.

But it’s still rude when used in context.

That’s not the unbiased truth because “bad” is inherently biased. If you wanted to be unbiased, you would say, “Player x is beat player y”. Of course, “rude” and “toxic” is subjective, but calling someone bad is rude, ignoring the fact if it’s true or not.

Yeah strawmans aren’t only used in philosophical debates. They are usually found in debates that involve logic.

Posted Aug 20, 2019,
    Last edited Aug 20, 2019
  9. This isn't going anywhere. By this point I acknowledge that you are strongly advocating for disabling taunts while I strongly disagree. So let's put an end to that.

Btw leo I harbour no hate against you, it's just a disagreement between opinions on a topic that I hope does not reflect on our interaction in the server. And I'm a fan of yours :D

On the other hand, I don't see what's going to prevent players from typing out the taunts in chat instead of relying on /taunt. What do you have to say about that?

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  10. That's why I really agree with Marzie's idea; it allows you to ignore the player and their taunts.

Posted Aug 20, 2019
    Jaek likes this.
  11. @Marzie Is this possible/plausible to be coded into the server? /taunt doesn't seem to work like chat.

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  12. Hello there!
    Although at times cosmetics like taunts may be frustrating at times to you, it's all a part of the experience for the players in my opinion. They won that cosmetic, and they want to use them in-games with other players to get the best use and experience out of it. I don't think people would enjoy using cosmetics as much if other players couldn't see what they were using and they weren't able to show it off, as that is a lot of the fun. So all in all, I don't think the addition of this is particularly necessary. Though as @Nolawn/Shaiym said, if you are being abused verbally in chat, make sure to report them at www.mineplex.com/reports with screenshotted evidence :) Have a good day!

Posted Aug 20, 2019
    nolawn likes this.
  13. Yeah it could work. There's 2 parts to the taunts, the animation and the chat. All they have to do is just make it ignore the chat part.

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  14. Now this is a compromise that I can accept. Not so sure about the other pro-taunts supporters' stance on this.

By the way, what's taking so long for this thread to be flaired "Not planned" or "Processed"?

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  15. Pretty sure theyre waiting on more responses to my suggestion on this thread or waiting on a response from higher ups.

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  16. /ignore already has a few issues where players can still be in contact with other players and if we ever get around to fixing these issues, we can maybe add ignoring taunts to the mix. I can't make any promises and I already know this won't be at the top of priorities due to it not affecting a large percentage of our playerbase. If players are being toxic towards you and it's escalating outside of /taunt, report them so that our staff team can take proper actions into dealing with the behavior.

I usually try not to give people life advice because everyone is different but there's an important lesson to be learned here and I wish someone was around to teach me this when I was younger. I know it's easier said than done when it comes to ignoring negativity but you need to learn how to at some point so that you can be prepared for whatever life throws at you. People who are toxic just want attention, they want your reaction and it makes them happy when you give it to them. Focus on yourself and make yourself happy, don't reward them for behaving that way.

If you guys have any questions or concerns, feel free to DM me!

Posted Aug 22, 2019
    Unfavorited, Jaek, nolawn and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.