• 2064 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4643 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Disliking Maps

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Worpp, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Hello,

I'm not sure if by this you mean that the ratings would become available publicly or whether it would only be available to certain teams. What is the use for this? Why do you want it? Is this for game insights?

I don't think this should be a full-on feature to implement to the community. Adding this type of system may discourage new players from using maps that have a bad rating. From personal experience, I can confidently say that when I see a movie with bad ratings or even a video game with bad ratings, I won't want to buy or use it. This is almost the same case with bad maps having a direct rating on the server and being displayed to the public. Of course, seeing a bad rating on a map won't likely have an effect on what older or more experienced players enjoy, but speaking for the newbie population which accounts for a good portion of the server, this will make the played maps more played and the less played maps less played. It isn't good for credibility.

The most likely way that the developer team would ever initiate this would be through means of poll. Obviously, polls don't have any sort of direct link with what people can see, but rather it would be for the private use of the staff team. In having this information they would be able to determine what the player base thinks of maps and how they function which could be useful in some senses. They most likely could implement a feature where they linked this type of poll to the maps and how they're rated, however that would once again discourage the use of these maps and possibly get them removed if the ratings are low enough. The instance that a map would be removed is unlikely as you (sort of) stated, however, it is a possibility with this data.

I also believe that if any sort of rating feature were to be implemented there should be a like feature as well. While I do understand that you are primarily interested in which maps are negatively reviewed so that these certain maps can be improved, a like feature to understand which maps are better and model some fixes to the map based off the liked ones could be beneficial.

In conclusion, I'm not too sure what to think about this. If you were to answer my initial questions that would better help me form an opinion. Thanks. +/-0.

Posted Dec 11, 2019
    Wrappingz likes this.
  2. The use and why is stated in the post. This would be public information.

This is the point lol, it's to find the maps people don't like as much so they can be fixed.

The equivalent of liking a map would be voting for one

The idea is to take the likes and dislikes to fix maps that people don't like. Instead of taking feedback from staff, GI, and the small number of players that do take the time to file a map report etc. it would be taking feedback from a larger population overall, which I think is more beneficial.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 12, 2019
    Mitchy likes this.
  3. If the use of this idea is to change things then there isn't any use in making this information available to the public. Odds are its going to take a good portion of time to change the maps that need to be "fixed" and during the in-between period which could take anywhere up to a year it seems like, the maps that aren't as played will get less attention than they previously had.
    If the point is to fix the maps, then obviously it isn't to discourage use of the maps in the meantime, which is what I said.

The idea of voting for maps as a like feature could work, so I do like that, however, don't you think certain maps are played because they're easier to 'rush' in? Obviously this only applies to certain types of games but speaking from the POV of a game insights member this shouldn't be hard to understand. A few specific examples that come to mind when I say this are maps like 'Campgrounds' on Cake Wars, 'Rivercross' on Skywars, or even the map in Death tag where players can hop up on the house and prevent getting killed at all (I can't remember the name). If all maps were to be modelled after these types, there wouldn't be enough variety imo. Taking feedback from the community is good but it can also be biased at times which is a bit controversial.

Posted Dec 12, 2019
  4. Each map has a bit different gameplay and in some games like block hunt the maps are differently balanced towards each team (for example The Museum is a good map for hunters while Atlantis is good for Hiders) if mineplex were to introduce a like/dislike system this would probably lead to only the unbalanced maps getting liked and fairly balanced maps being removed since people only like maps they win on. Another thing is that mineplex already has the voting system which allows the players to pick their preffered map. If there was a change id suggest making people able to vote on 2 maps so that there’s a bit more variety.

Posted Dec 12, 2019
    Worpp likes this.
  5. I agree with this idea, and don't understand why others are disagreeing. I'm not a builder, but I can assure you that I wouldn't get upset if my map got removed. The community might show a perspective that the builders and MTT might not see; while builders do care about gameplay their main focus is design; whereas players are constantly playing these maps.

Like everyone who can see past the builders' feelings being hurt above, in no way will the maps be removed after small amounts of dislikes and in no way will they be completely removed; most likely they will be revised and reimplemented.

I also think this idea is pretty smart because if it was just a like button, people might just like it for no reason, and even if there were both, it would be an unfair representation of who liked it because some would just like it for no reason, but most wouldn't even bother liking it at all. People remember bad experiences though thus causing the dislike/like ratio to be larger than it should be. With only a dislike button, most players would actually mean it when clicking on it and then we can do a ratio of players who played on the map to dislikes.

Posted Dec 12, 2019
    Worpp and _Prof_ like this.
  6. The builders are more active than the actual system that creates the games, so no, it does not take a year for build changes to come out lol. Once again, I know this because I have been on MTT before and I have talked to the builders directly about changes to make to maps.

Your second point doesn't make sense. If people don't like the map, they're not going to play it, so I'm not sure what you're trying to convey here? People can vote for the disliked map if they want to, nothing's stopping them.

Your last point was very specific. What I think you meant was varied gameplay, which can be good, but it's risky if the builder of that map doesn't understand the game well. In addition, I don't play cake wars, death tag, or skywars. I specialize in smash mobs. Also your last sentence is pretty broad and hard to understand.

Like I said, this system is to help see and understand why players dislike a map and why players would choose one over the other. It would help to create better maps based on what the entire community thinks, not just a small number of insiders.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 12, 2019
    Ender Rivka and _Prof_ like this.
  7. Hi there!

I don't think this is needed as all of the builders work seriously hard on there maps and for there maps just to be removed or discredited is not the greatest idea. And as everyone else says the MTT members work very hard to make sure the maps are playable and safe from any bugs. Just because some people don't like certain maps doesn't mean they should be removed. I'll be leaving this on a -1 Thanks for hearing me out!

Good luck on the rest of your suggestions!

Posted Dec 17, 2019
  8. People have already stated how maps wouldn't be removed because people don't like them, merely revised and improved upon.

Yes, we do work hard to make sure the maps are as good as they can be, but we do miss things and if people never pick a map there's most likely something that can be improved with it. Obviously there are places to report map issues but if the reason it's not being picked isn't because of an issue then I can see the usefulness of knowing which ones aren't as popular since the "issue" might be less noticeable so knowing to go over it would be helpful.

Posted Dec 17, 2019
    Worpp and Ender Rivka like this.