• 282 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3633 Players Online
  • 3351 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Duo Master Builders

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by 73GG, Sep 23, 2020.

1. I recently saw a thread on a Duo Speed Builders mode and thought "well, what about Master Builders?"

Master Builders has always had a fairly consistent playerbase and is widely enjoyed in many different variations across loads of different servers. What can make our version of Build Battles stand out? I feel a Duo mode could be the answer.

I am well aware this has been done before on rivalled server - whos name shall go unmentioned (begins with a H and ends in ypixel) and I've noticed it's popularity is ever increasing. Having played the mode myself on other servers, it has proven to be quite hilarious when you play with friends. Trying to coordinate a ridiculous build and incorporate the ideas of 2 players is great fun and a lot of laughs.

Of course this idea does come with flaws. For example, if you aren't with a duo and opt to play it solo you could face the hurdle of a leaver or afk player. Similarly, but much worse, the player could intentionally destroy or edit your part of the creation to push the team for a loss.

Despite the previously mentioned flaws, the glaringly obvious weakness to a duos mode is if your teammate intentionally builds something inappropriate, which could lead to you getting punished for their actions.

However, I do have a proposal to potentially counter these issues. You could add build halves. Each of the two players in placed on their own half of the square with a line down the middle. Players can enter their teammates half but not build on it. Both players can build on the middle line to connect the two halves of the build if necessary. Once you enter the voting phase, the middle line disappears as to not ruin the aesthetic of the build. Alternatively, you could add a trusting feature. This will allow you to trust your teammate and have them build on your side.

While this may resolve some issues, this feature could potentially create more issues. For example, new players to the gamemode may not be aware that duos mode is actually a joint effort and instead they may create two separate builds on each half. Though, I feel this is a risk that we should be willing to take.

Let me know what you guys think and if there are any issues that I may not have pointed out!

Posted Sep 23, 2020
    Anna-Marie likes this.
  2. Hey!

I like the idea and I think it could be something different for Mineplex to try and experiment with. However, I do believe that all the flaws you pointed out in your post will mostly be the reason that they won't add this into the game. I've personally seen a lot of staff deny game ideas because it would copy those game concepts on other servers.

One thing about Mineplex that I love is their game ideas and concepts are different than most other servers and they implement their own creativity when designing their games. If they were to add a duos master builder mode, then there would of been no creativity when creating the game mode and I think a lot of players would just see Mineplex as being lazy with it because of this.
    I think this would be a great way to make the game mode different from other servers, but as you mentioned, this does make it more complicated for newer players to grasp this concept. I think if they added this feature then it would sacrifice likeability of the game to favor being different and I just don't think that sacrifice is one the Mineplex dev team would be willing to make.

I still think it's a great idea, I just don't believe it would work even if they tried. Besides, the build games we have right now work fairly well for the most part so I don't see a need to add anything to them or change them in anyway, as Mineplex would just be sacrificing so much of what makes it special just for a little popularity. It just isn't worth it to me. Thanks for adding the idea to forums though. :)

Posted Sep 23, 2020
    73GG, Paladise and Anna-Marie like this.
  3. While this seems like an interesting idea, you stated yourself that this gamemode is already in another server, where almost every game there is popular. I forsee a lot of backlash towards Mineplex if this were to be implemented. Furthermore, this also seems like it would require a lot of development time, especially with your additional propositions to help counter teammates that purposely troll. This game also seems like it will only be fun for players in parties, and won't provide a good experience for the rest of the playerbase. Furthermore, your propositions don't deal with anything related to players who purposely afk the entire game or leave immediately after the game has started nor does it deal with inappropriate builds which already is a major problem for the current Master Builders gamemode. The last point I would like to make is that this idea would likely split up the playerbase between two similar games leading to longer queue times. Overall, I give this idea a -1.

Posted Sep 23, 2020
  4. Hey thanks for the suggestion!
    You gave well points for both sides and I hope to give some feedback as I can. The flaws you have mentioned, are great key points to keep in mind. Trollers exist everywhere, and it would be tons of it. Gameplay trolling from destroying your teammates build, not contributing, and even worse and inappropriate build.
    Gameplay trolling wouldn't be as difficult to catch compared to inappropriate ones. The build can be from either player, and it simply isn't enough to issue a punishment, and moreso, not fair for both players to receive one.
    The only solution I can see from this is a "party only join" system. This requires extra work for our devs, and I wouldn't see this gamemode more active if this was implemented with that system.

For your solution, having halves defeats the purpose of duos. It's two separate builds and would just be considered solo. The trust system seems very risky, and shouldn't be a good approach as it can take wrong turns and result unhappy players.
    In conclusion, I wouldn't really see mineplex incorporating Master Builders Duos. It's a lot of work for most likely not the best outcomes for our players. If it was easy, then I wouldn't mind having the game implemented as it would be fun to play with a friend!
    Thank you for the suggestion, I wish you well with more replies and more feedback to better improvements to your thread.
    <3

Posted Sep 25, 2020
    73GG likes this.
  5. I don't think that you can be punished for just "saying" a server name. I think its only when you attempt or succeed to recruit someone to it

Posted Sep 25, 2020
  6. I was saying it like that jokingly

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 25, 2020
  7. ok

Posted Sep 25, 2020
  8. Hey! I really like the thought of this and I feel like this would be a good duo game and makes you and your partner to show of skill and teamwork. Also, makes you apply your brain to come up with cool designs. You get a +1 from me

Posted Sep 25, 2020
    73GG likes this.