• 982 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 10685 Players Online
  • 9703 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Extended Time

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by KrypticWare, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Now I may be saying something either hundreds of people have already said, or I may be the only one who thinks this but I believe that Master Builders should have two different game modes or variations. I quite enjoy playing the current one which allows players to build to a certain topic within 5 minutes of time. Don’t get me wrong it’s an excellent game to play but the amount of people that play that game solely to troll, place TNT everywhere, make inappropriate structures is uncanny. I believe Mineplex should create a second variation which allows even more time to build for those who wish to go into more detail, forcing those who wish to troll to wait an extensive amount of time for the other players to finish building, hopefully deterring them from ruining the game.

I may just be easily aggravated by these types of people, I don’t know. What do you think?

Posted Feb 28, 2021
    Mr.Cardyceps likes this.
  2. Heyo,

It's an interesting idea but the current player-base and meta isn't suited for another variant of Master Builders. The current version "struggles" to get games up and running, so implementing another version will just divide the existing player-base. After all, what good is a game if you can't play it?

Master Builders, in my opinion, is closely related to Lego Master Builders. Kind of like in the movies where the little characters build almost instantly. Having a version which runs longer would conflict with the original concept of Mineplex MB.

If someone is making highly inappropriate structures, I recommend reporting them at mineplex.com/report with sufficient evidence. Everybody doing their little bit in making Mineplex a better place will really improve the community, and reporting these players can provide solution to the problem you raised.

Look forward to other opinions on this topic.

Posted Feb 28, 2021,
    Last edited Feb 28, 2021

3. Can you elaborate on its player-base and its meta?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 28, 2021
  4. Master Builders always has solid games running, from someone that plays it a lot it does not struggle at all.

Despite this, though, I still disagree. It would divide the player base too much which is always a deal breaker. Inappropriate build reports get handled super quickly from my experience of reporting dozens but I get you, it is a problem and it's super unenjoyable to watch.

However, with that being said, still no. Even if there are inappropriate builds or builds that blatantly don't follow the theme a lot of these players aren't partied with anybody and usually get downvoted hard. You still have a solid chance of winning. Plus, more time is always brought up but imo it's just unnecessary. The point of Master Builders is to get used to the timeframe and building within it. No matter how much time we give, players will always ask for that one extra minute. I know this isn't why you suggested increased time, but it's just another reason it won't work. But to counter your initial point - trolls do not care how much they have to wait. There are players with dozens of alts that have nothing better to do so they spend the entire day alting and hacking just to ruin players' games.

You should message a Game Insights member and ask to get an invite to the discord. There are separate channels for Master Builders with proposal docs and whatnot, you can always discuss there too. A report feature in-game is suggested to come back and might be brought forward in a future update, in a way where it is not possible to be abused.

Posted Feb 28, 2021
    PlebAU likes this.
  5. Sure.

My overarching message was that Mineplex doesn't have the player-base/count to support another version of Master Builders. The current "meta", which is basically the most popular or viable thing, is PVP-based mini-games. These are the games that tend to receive the most support in the form of player-count. For example, one could argue the current meta is PVP because Mineplex's most popular game is Cake Wars.

So considering this, dividing a player-base that is already scarce in that of Master Builders could render it unplayable, or this new mode is implemented but no one plays it. Mineplex removes games that don't receive well within the community, so if this version is not enjoyed it will be inevitably removed. It'd be good to survey the community on whether they'd want a new mode.

Posted Feb 28, 2021
  6. MB doesn't suit another mode for sure, I agree, but

For your 'meta' argument, the player counts are not in your favour

At rush times, Cake Wars has the most players (around 200), Speed Builders has the second most (around 140). Mixed Arcade has about 120 as well. NANO has 70, something like that. Skywars, SG, etc have 50-60. Master Builders has 60-70 sometimes even reaching 90-100 with amplifiers. You underestimate the popularity of the game. These numbers aren't exact, but they are very common to see.

Sometimes the Speed Builders count heavily surpasses CW so there's nothing concrete

The majority of arcade games aren't pvp-based

Posted Feb 28, 2021,
    Last edited Feb 28, 2021
  7. Perhaps it'd be better to say Cake Wars specifically is the meta considering your statistics.

I understand your point but "meta", in my eyes at least, doesn't mean everything else is dead. Take overwatch for example, the meta may be a certain character but that doesn't make other characters unplayable. The meta argument was simply to link back to Master Builders not being able to survive the division, not that it doesn't have a player-base in general.

Posted Feb 28, 2021
  8. So I would like to add a few things here. Firstly, Master Builders is one of the games I see that always has games running. Oftentimes there can be up to 10 lobbies running concurrently. However, I do not think it is enough to make the addition of a second version a viable option.

As for increasing the time limit, the whole point of master builders is to build the best you can within the time frame, the element of speed is an important part of the game and I believe that should remain that way. Possibly increasing the time limit would work, but having a sperate game mode for the sole purpose of having additional time just doesn't seem like a great option to me.

As stated above, you can always report inappropriate builds can be reported at www.mineplex.com/reports, however I do always try my best to patrol lobbies when I can and catch any inappropriate builds before they get to the voting stage. Whilst it is annoying, mitigating it is the best we can do for now and I often find that people who join to troll usually don't win unless they are in a large party of friends.

Posted Feb 28, 2021
    rilau likes this.
  9. Thread Moved ➪ Game Alterations

· ┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ꕥ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈ ·

Since you're suggesting an idea to alter the time given in Master Builders, the thread has been moved to reflect that and get appropriate feedback and evaluation.

~~~

As for how I feel, i wholeheartedly agree with @affinity0.

Rather than increasing the time as a whole though, I think it'd be much more efficient to have a vote where you can get an extra two minutes to build once the base timer of 5 minutes run out. This is purely because some themes are much more difficult than others, with certain themes (such as certain animals or zoo) can take quite a significant amount of time if you want to make it look nice and presentable, while some are quite basic and can be done quickly within 5 minutes, such as "floor", which a lot of people will just change the ground block or make tiny dance floors.

I don't think extending it past 7-8 minutes would be too beneficial since people do tend to get more done in the time frame anyway and the extra few minutes are purely to refine it and give people who went too ambitious in scale some more time. Part of Master Builders is being able to utilise the time you have (which isn't supposed to be very long) to build something relevant to the theme given. Part of that is considering your time and build speed (or your cps) so you don't make the scaling too big. Obviously, we're gonna all make that mistake from time to time, and some themes are more complex than others, so I think a vote (where the majority wins, it wouldn't need to be unanimous), to add around 2 minutes on would be fair enough.

Sadly, I don't think extra time would deter trollers anyway. 2-3 minutes isn't as much time as it seems and realistically making the timer too long would completely ruin the game since the whole point is pressure to build something within time constraints and adapting to that.

~~~

As for making a whole new version of the game mode, I don't agree with it, just to extend the time. Modifying the game would be more appropriate for timing issues rather than a separate game mode. If we were to make a whole new mode for the game, it would need more standout differences.

I don't think it's an issue with the player count since Master Builders has a pretty good concurrent player count, but I don't think dividing the existing Master Builders community would be very beneficial as I imagine more people will opt for one over the other anyway and lead to one either dying and failing.

We can punish people for Inappropriate Builds, if you contact us through the StaffRequest community, someone online may quickly come to check it out, and if they don't you can use our forum report system (make sure to read the guide), and for a lot of cases, troll builds don't win, unless more than half the lobby is on it. Just to clarify, just in case, troll builds (that are appropriate) aren't really punishable in Master Builders since other peoples build don't affect other peoples work and effort on their build. While yes, some troll builds win (usually when the lobby consists of multiple trollers), but for the most part, people will vote for their personal preference. We can't do very much about this, but you are welcome to make another rule suggestion about this or contact Rules Committee for more information.

Posted Feb 28, 2021
    affinity0 likes this.