• 272 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6367 Players Online
  • 6095 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

fall damage in dragon escape

Discussion in 'Dragon Escape' started by partyin, May 6, 2020.

1. Hey!
    I just recently started playing dragon escape and i love it! the game is great an requires little improvement. The one thing i despise and ruins many games is fall damage. I cant tell you how many times i have died to to fall damage and many times i think i could have won. certain maps like time travel, frost run, sandstorm, and journey reborn require you to take 4+ hearts of fall damage, and journey reborn uses 8. That, in my opinion, is not fun. Fall damage ruins the speed you need to finish fast, and kills even the most skilled players. I would love to completely get rid of fall damage, but at least feather falling 3 boots. This would be a great update i think is really needed!
    Thanks!

Posted May 6, 2020
  2. Not planned to be removed. The only fall damage you have to take won't kill you on any map. If you do die to fall damage, that means you failed on another portion of the map. Game Insights planned to edit Journey Reborn in order to make it give less fall damage, however, so there's that.

Posted May 6, 2020
    Truthhs, Im_Ken, Jaek and 2 others like this.
  3. I would like to add on to this. These maps have been tested and created by some very skilled builders. I don't play dragon escape a lot, so it's hard for me to tell although knowing the whole idea behind dragon escape tells me enough. Dragon escape is supposed to give you adrenaline, that's why the dragon is chasing you. To answer your question (although I am not a staff member and anything is possible) I doubt that they will get rid of it.

Posted May 6, 2020
  4. In all honesty, if you manage to die from fall damage that is not at all the game's fault. On most maps, you'd have to fail a considerable number of jumps/leaps in succession to manage that.

Fall damage is an integral part of the game and its purpose is as a punishment for failing a jump. You incur two punishments after failing a jump. The first is that it wastes time and people have a chance to catch up to you/overtake you. The second is that you take fall damage. This is a good punishment, as now some jumps might not be available to you anymore because you don't have enough health to survive them. This means you then have to expend one of two things: time waiting for you to regenerate health, or a leap/Warper pearl/Digger blocks to get past without waiting. This is a good game mechanic as it rewards competence and practise by letting you complete the maps faster (both because you don't have to wait/retry a jump so you can stay in the lead and because you don't have to expend your kit's ability to catch back up).

Starting with Time Travel, the only place on that map where you have to take fall damage is on the jumps above the water near the end of the map. There is no other place on that map where you take any considerable amount of fall damage if you're playing optimally. There are those jumps after you spiral around the tree near the beginning but most people leap them and even if you didn't, you would regenerate any health lost from them by the time you got to the water jumps. The only other section where I could feasibly see you take fall damage is when you jump down from the tree into the cave (after you get off the green bird's back). However, there is a shallowly declining sequence of pillars for you to get down without taking fall damage, as well as some vines at the cave entrance that you can jump onto. Time Travel is fine.

Next is Frost Run. I'm not entirely sure which part of this map you're saying makes you take 4+ hearts of fall damage? Perhaps when you jump down onto the ice right near the end of the map? They're really not an issue at all. The rest of Frost Run is exceedingly flat. There's barely an elevation change at all, and when there is it's just a ramp that you've got to run up. If you had managed to take enough fall damage prior to those then you deserve to die there. There is also that flooded cave directly preceding the ice jumps, but my thoughts on water damage is the same as fall damage, especially with how simple those jumps are.

With Sandstorm, you don't die if you only take fall damage from the jumps you are required to take fall damage from, though they do get you relatively low (but there aren't any jumps afterwards that give you fall damage and they're all above void meaning you would instantly die if you failed so it's not as if that's a problem). The two mains jumps are 5-10 seconds apart and you can reduce the damage taken by leaping to cancel your fall damage.

Journey Reborn does have some issues with fall damage, but as @HeyItsAdam said, we're planning on altering the map (specifically the ice jumps) to reduce that.

For the first half of the sentence, yes, I agree. That's the point of it, as I already mentioned. I don't agree with the second half of the sentence though. As someone with 1500 wins, I'd like to think I count as a skilled player, and I would say that you're wrong about that. I don't remember the last time I died from fall damage. I don't remember the last time I saw any skilled player die from fall damage. Learning the game and becoming skilled at it means you can manage your health and you don't fail jumps as often. Saying that "fall damage kills even the most skilled players" is a complete exaggeration.

Posted May 6, 2020,
    Last edited May 6, 2020