• 561 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3140 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Fish the Fishies

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by CupAWup, Nov 17, 2019.

1. This game has 16 players and each team has 8 players Ratio is 1 : 3 (1 fisherman every 3 fishes to balance it suggested by @Jaekub).

Description:

The strong fishermen must fish the fish out of the water, while the fish will try and stay out of the fishermen's rod.

Fishermen:
    The "Fishermen" will try and grab the fish with their hook (should look like an iron hook but velocity should stay the same as a whirlpool axe in SSM). The queuing system is that once you try and fish a fish, you will go to the back of the queue, and the queue is on a scoreboard on the right, above the stats for how many fishes each team have and it only shows to the Fish team. Each player has a max of 10 seconds to shoot, otherwise they will auto shoot a hook. (Dev note: If a fisherman touches the water, they will spectate. Also fishermen not fishing will spectate. Fishermen also slash fish when they get them, and have night vision to see.

Fish:
    Fish will be underwater in front of the Fishermen (Fish have permanent water breathing). They have Slowness 1 also, and if they go out of air, they will teleport back down. If a fish is caught, then for all the times they get swapped to the Fish team, they spectate. Fish also have a power called bubble burst where they shoot out 3 light blue blocks (should look like they got dropped instead of like when its placed) and all of them at the velocity of an iron hook and if it hits a fisherman then they get splashed blinding them for 1 second. This was suggested by @Jaekub and I modified it a bit. When a fish is fished, the fishermen must slash the fish before they jump in the water and if the fish is slashed (fishermen get an iron sword) before they enter the water, the fishermen get a point. Fish get Speed 3 with Depth Strider 1.

The teams with
    --- Post updated ---
    Bump

Posted Nov 18, 2019,
    Last edited by a Moderator Nov 21, 2019
  2. Hey there!

Obviously I’m against this idea because it is pro-fish abuse.

On a more serious note though, this idea has potential! I think it would best work as a Nano Game where you get points in a fashion similar to Nano Gladiators and Chicken Shoot. This game would seem like it would work well as a mini game, and I think the best way to make sure that it reaches its full potential is to add it in as a new Nano game.

This idea seemed kind of confusing at first, but I think I get it now. Are you saying that people in a queue go fish, and once the game switch conditions have been met the teams are flip flopped? Why do the fish spectate?

I also would like to add that this game would work best as a solo game.

On a similar note, I think this game could also work well if there were different entities other than other players as the fish that you had to catch. Instead of their being two teams, why not have everyone trying to get the most fish?

Overall, despite the fact that I am a fish and I do not tolerate any sort of fish abuse, I think idea has potential to be a fun, challenging mini game and with a little work I think it could be implemented.

Posted Nov 18, 2019
  3. Just to give you a little clarification, if a fish is caught, then whenever it is on the fish team, it will spectate because that fish has been caught, but the fish, whenever the teams switch, will be able to participate in catching fishes. Don't worry I had to read it through 4 times before I got it =P

As for the idea I dont really like it. It seems like a modified harder version of the chicken shoot in nano and its not super fast paced. If your on the fish team its not super fun becauae your just swimming around under water, or spectating if you have been caught. If your a fisherman, its not super interesting and it would be hard to see underwater. Overall it just dosnt seem super fun and it seems like a slow going game. -1

Posted Nov 18, 2019,
    Last edited Nov 18, 2019
  4. Hey there!

Interesting concept. Like others, I was confused while reading it but thank you @Korben2005 for clarifying what some of it meant. As @saltyfishhy said, this game would work best in NANO and also as a solo gamemode. I think that the version of the gamemode you have suggested currently wouldn't be very exciting, but maybe if we made it more fast-pace and interesting for the fish then it could work. What I am imagining is at the start there is 8 fishermen and 8 fish, and the 8 fisherman have (blank) amount of time to catch a fish, and once they do they teleport to the outside area (kind of like gladiators) and then the 8 fishermen become fish, and vise versa. The fishermen gain a point by catching their fish, the fish gain a point by lasting the round without being caught. There could be 3 or so rounds, so a chance for a player to get 6 points maximum in total (if they catch a fish on all of their turns as a fishermen and survive without getting caught for all of their turns as a fish). Overall good start, but I hope you'll consider some of the things I said for potential changes to the game. Have a good day! :)

Posted Nov 18, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  5. Yo!

While I think this sounds good on paper, you also have to think about player engagement and how fun the game would be. Generally, what is being suggested is players moving slowly in the water while someone is right-clicking, trying to hit them with their fishing rod. This doesn't have too much action, and it wouldn't be fun in my opinion. The game would be a lot more fun if instead, the "Fish" become squids and have the mobility of a squid from Squid Shooters. Then, they could have a certain ability where they can shoot ink at fishermen and stun them while getting 1 point. Fishermen get a point for every squid they hook, which is then sent to spawn. The team balancing could be changed to the ratio of fishermen to squids to 1:3, which would be a lot more balanced. This would bring a little more competition in the game and make it more exciting. This game would be a Nano Game, lasting 90 seconds and the player with the most points after 90 seconds wins.

Posted Nov 18, 2019
    CupAWup likes this.
  6. I added some changes that inspired me from you, and added some things you suggested

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 21, 2019
  7. Heyo!
    I think this could fun! I like the fact that you slash the fish before you can get it to make it a bit more challenging. Also is this a nano game or a regular game? Also how big is the river that the fish will be in? How big is the the land that the fisherman stand on? I also have an idea. Maybe every 30 seconds it starts raining and the water goes up by 1 block. Overall this could be fun and I’ll be giving it a +1

Have a nice day!

Posted Nov 22, 2019