• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Friend cast feature (Java)

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by NutSoGreat, Jan 11, 2020.

1. I don't know if this idea has been submitted yet, but i think there should be a friend cast feature added, which sends a message to all of the people online in your friend list. for example:
    "/fc Yo come on my server! /sv NutSoGreat-1 :D" It would be much easier than msging friend by friend, and it can be used for a lot of different things as well, like telling all your friends you changed your name, or maybe if anyone is available to party, etc.

Posted Jan 11, 2020
    kctie1234, Korben and _Prof_ like this.
  2. I do like the idea of being able to quickly and efficiently message everyone who is online, however I feel like this would only really work for players who have a smaller number of friends. If players that have multiple pages of friends send one of these messages out they could potentially be bombarded with responses, flooding their chat. If something like this were to be implemented, I would definitely suggest adding the option to disable it in prefs, as I could see it becoming very annoying for players to receive messages that are not directly meant for them.

I also couldn't really see this getting used much apart from maybe advertising an MPS like you mentioned, which could potentially become an annoyance for players. Most games, such as Cake Wars, do not require you to party many people in order to get a full team. I personally don't feel like it's very time consuming to message three people to find out whether they're interested in joining your party. For name changes, I suppose you could argue that this has a use there, but then there could potentially be multiple offline players that will not receive the message. Players also have sites that they can use to search up previous names if they so desired.

Overall, I just don't find myself in situations where I need to contact tons and tons of friends very often. That, combined with the reasons mentioned above, is why I'm not too sure on this idea. Keep the ideas coming though, and please let me know if you disagree with anything I said!

Posted Jan 11, 2020
  3. As @Dallarth stated, this could be chaotic if a player has lots of friends added to their friend's list where if a player has 50+ players online and they send out a broadcast message to every single player, they would receive a heavy load of messages back. Additionally, this command could encourage spamming players. A cooldown to the command might help but I don't see it used apart from advertising a stream (that is hosting Mineplex content) or an MPS as Dallarth stated. Furthermore, staff members would have to moderate these messages in case the message broadcasted had broken any rules which means that we might receive duplicate reports from multiple players from one broadcasted message, meaning that it would be difficult to moderate these kinds of messages.

Alternatively, we can add a set limit where we can only allow players with a maximum of x amount of players added to their friends list use this command. I can see this alteration causing problems though where players with a larger friends list might not be as happy that they don't have permission to use this command which can cause further chaos. Overall, I'd have to give this idea a -1 due to the factors I stated above.

Posted Jan 12, 2020
    xGetRektedx and Dallarth like this.
  4. Hey!

Interesting idea here, and I haven’t seen it suggested before so props to you for that.

However, I feel that in the grand scheme of things there are better ways to go about getting friends to join your lobby than a message to
    everyone on your friends list.

In your case, since you are an Eternal, I suggest creating a community with all your friends that you actually communicate with and then whenever you want people to be aware that you are playing in an MPS, you can just send a message into the community and they will see it. This way, it isn’t as obtrusive to the players you are talking to because there is a way to disable community chats if they don’t want to see it.

Have a good day!

Posted Jan 13, 2020
  5. Hey! If someone has a lot of friends they might get spammed with these sorts of messages which would get annoying after a while. However, you can do what @Tilgorn said and create a community to message your friends in bulk instead of individually. And like @THELichCA/Hxmza said these messages would need to be moderated which wouldn't be easy.

Also, like @Dallarth I don't find myself in a situation where this would be used. If I wanted people to join my MPS I would just post it in my community and eventually someone would join.

Posted Jan 14, 2020
    xGetRektedx likes this.
  6. Hey!

I have to admit, I don’t really like this idea. The idea overall just seems kind of pointless, not to mention annoying. Some players have lots of friends, and this could get annoying if their friends start blasting announcements every 10 minutes. So I think that if we were to add this, there should be an option to turn it off in /prefs. Moreover, I have never really been in a situation where I would need this feature. Because of these reasons, I don’t think this should be added.

~Nick

Posted Jan 14, 2020
    xGetRektedx and Specy like this.
  7. Hello,

I definitely see your appeal for this idea, as it can be hard to find friends who want to play a certain game at times. This would be useful to make that more efficient. Despite this benefit, this idea would arise several problems.

First, people who have many friends would be spammed by this feature. I personally friend anyone who requests me, so this would be an issue for those who do the same. Even if this would come with a preference to disable it, it is simply easier to use a community so those who want to be notified can join, as @Tilgorn said.

Further, this could cause a significant moderation issue. If used maliciously, this could potentially be used as a method for a rule breaking player to send a filter bypass or a message that is otherwise not allowed on the network.

Overall, this quality of life feature could prove useful for some, however, it would require several new systems to be implemented and would risk several potential issues. For these reasons, I am going to give this a -1. Thank you for voicing your idea, have a nice day!

Posted Jan 16, 2020
    xGetRektedx likes this.
  8. I think that everybody in the replies above touched on some very important factors of this idea suggestion. I completely agree with what @Dallarth said regarding the overuse of this command by players. To me, this would feel like one of those invites on social media from somebody you haven't talked to in years that you can tell they've just sent to every single person on their friend list. Some people simply just like to troll, and I know that a command like this would likely cause some issues between players. @Tilgorn also makes an extremely good point about the ability to make a Community. While this isn't possible for players that don't have the Eternal rank, anybody and everybody is welcome to join Communities.

While I don't think that this would be a necessary implementation for Mineplex, I love the idea behind it and the fact that you love communicating with your friend in-game!

Posted Jan 16, 2020
    xGetRektedx likes this.
  9. I could see more of a command that would summon a friend to your server (if they accept) than something like this. However we already have that sort of in the party feature, because players invited to a party get sent to your server anyway. So I'm not really sure the need for a whole new command that would be like a "friend chat" or whatever. You can just message them manually or invite them to a party; this isn't really need imo. Plus as aforementioned, people can easily get spammed.

Posted Jan 22, 2020
    xGetRektedx likes this.
  10. While I agree with the people above stating who this could become chaotic, I think a simple way to fix it; making it only message your favorite friends. Another way is by having some sort of cool down to the command?

Great idea but I think it needs some tweaking.

(TIP: There's a way to do this already. Add all your friends to a Community. You have a friend global chat and a server they can join as well!)

Posted Jan 24, 2020
  11. A very interesting idea but as the above have said, I feel that this feature could become chaotic for some people who have an excessive amount of friends, the feature though does sound helpful. Maybe if this was executed differently, it would be an upvote.

Posted Jan 24, 2020
  12. For people with a lot of friends this could get very spammy. Even if it only sent a message to your favorite friends like Offline suggested, you have no control who sets you as a favorite friend so if could still be spammy. I don't think there should be a new command for this since if you really want to you can just message them manually.

Posted Jan 24, 2020
  13. Hey!

As others have stated above me, I think that this idea is completely unnecessary and will potentially become very annoying. If there is no way to toggle it, it would easily lead to chat flooding and become frustrating for everyone involved. There are plenty of other ways to advertise your MPS or broadcast other messages to your friends through features such as communities. Unfortunately, it's a -1 from me, thanks for the suggestion though!

Posted Jan 25, 2020
  14. Hey,

I personally don't really see the utility in having this command exist. Pretty much the only scenario where this command has any purpose is when someone is attempting to advertise their MPS, or something similar like a Mineplex-related YouTube video. As outlined by someone else above, what other purpose does this command really have?

If we consider a scenario where friends want to use this command to chat just as they would in a normal party, then this command might have some usefulness. However, if one of the players who is talking in this friend chat has someone on their friends list online who isn't apart of this friendship group, then this one person is receiving random messages from someone on their friends-list with no real context. This is presuming that this person doesn't have everyone else in the friendship group friended as well. All of this would be even more annoying and confusing considering that the message likely doesn't pertain to them at all. Whilst yes, this issue could be resolved by having the 'friend-chat' command toggleable in /prefs, there's not real point in creating a command that everyone is going to turn it off anyway.

Additionally, another issue could arise from having this command implemented. If someone in the friendship group is attempting to actively converse with a group of people, they might have issues seeing all the messages that everyone else is seeing if they haven't friended everyone who is engaged in conversation. This means that someone who doesn't want to see the messages from this chat might be seeing messages from this chat, and someone who does want to see the messages isn't seeing the messages from everyone. This makes it seem as though conversing normally with other players is just so much easier if the players who want to talk just create a party.

To summarise, just forming a party is a much easier way for players and friends who want to converse to communicate. Implementing this command might give some small utility to people wanting to advertise their MPS (etc), but it would likely just end up annoying/confusing the vast majority of people on the server who use the command for the reasons stated above.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to give this idea a -1.

Thanks!

Posted Jan 25, 2020