• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Game Idea: Nether Wars

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by LT Tombstone 77, Dec 10, 2019.

?

Should Nether Wars be Added?

1. Yes (Tell me why you like it)

93.3%
  2. No (Give me a suggestion on how to improve it and why you dislike it)

6.7%
  1. Thanks, really appreciate it! :D

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 12, 2019
  2. Wow, this seems like a really cool game. I think it'd be a great addition to Mineplex. I'm quite new, and mostly play Cake Wars (I'm a friend of your brother's) and I think this would definitely make people play the server more. Not saying anything is wrong with it now, but it'd be a good addition. I would probably play this game a lot. You should definitely add kit costs and achievements. I'd rate this a +1.

Keep up the good work,
    xBloodyTorrentx

Posted Dec 13, 2019
    LT Tombstone 77 likes this.
  3. Thanks, and hello xD. (We should totally play Cake Wars some time :D). Once again, thank you for the comment and the vote, it means a lot to me. It’d really be cool if my game was implemented and yeah I definitely will add that stuff, I just haven’t quite had time.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 13, 2019
    xBloody_Torrentx likes this.
  4. Yes, we should definitely play Cake Wars together :3. Although you’d probably rekt me xD.

Posted Dec 13, 2019
  5. I'd love to see this implemented! I mostly play Cake Wars and I don't often play other games because they don't really seem interesting. Or fun. But this idea is sure to bring people to Mineplex! I, for one, would love to see this on the server! It is well constructed and thought out and truly it would make a good game. I like the basic idea of it, it's really original! I'd say this deserves a +1.

Posted Dec 14, 2019
  6. add it to bedrock

Posted Dec 14, 2019
  7. Thank you! :D

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 14, 2019
    BalefulBlue7 likes this.
  8. Can this just be added already? XD

Posted Dec 17, 2019
  9. Thanks for strongly wanting this game to be added, but I have to accept that it probably won’t be. Since no Mods have looked at it yet, I don’t really know. But I don’t think it will be. If it is, it would still take a while to add. And they would probably have to test the game first, before actually implementing it.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 17, 2019
  10. I'll try to go through your idea in the order that you have written it.

Maps
    The only issue I can see here is that your game is heavily reliant on the map being nether-themed, as all the kits and abilities share that theme. I think that this could limit the number of maps that could be made for it as it would look weird for there to be loads of fire on a nice, peaceful woodland style map, for example. It definitely could work though, perhaps by altering the particles/names the abilities use in order to be more inclusive. Another option could be to just only have one map, which has happened before on games such as MCL and I believe HoG.

Teams
    There are a couple of issues that I can see here. Firstly, I'm not sure if the team colours can be unique as you've suggested. For every other game that I can think of, the team colours have been red, blue, green, and yellow. There could potentially be some issues with having those colours (although they are used for cake wars duos so I may be wrong and they could be fine).

My second issue is the items you've suggested to represent the kits. I've been playing Minecraft for eight years and I wouldn't be able to tell you which spawn egg of those four mobs are which. That's obviously quite subjective, but there could be different items used that I think would make it more evident as to which kit is which: Blaze could be a blaze rod, Wither could be a wither head, Ghast could be a ghast tear, and Magma Cube could be a magma cream. As for team size, this is just my personal preference but I think that the larger the team, the better. I'd agree with five players per team (perhaps even stretching to six) because a game like this sounds like it would be more enjoyable with larger teams. Obviously we can't go too large or games might never start, so I think five or six would be a good compromise.

Kits
    As a general complaint, almost all the kits have iron swords. This is too extreme for a game with only leather armour as they would deal too much damage. I think all swords should be changed to stone or wood (depending on if it's an offensive melee-focused kit for stone or a defensive/ranged kit for wood).

Blaze team

Blaze Barrage: I think a maximum of three spawns is too low. You say later on in the thread that the games should be roughly the same length of a cake wars game. If that's the case, the spawns should be roughly on a one-minute cooldown. That might seem quite high, but I think a maximum of 5 players on the team using this kit, having many more blazes would be chaotic and could potentially cause lag with all the fireballs being thrown.

Fire Master: Fire Aspect II is too much in my opinion. Fire Aspect I would suffice, especially as everyone only has leather armour, otherwise this kit would be too overpowered. Without any armour, Fire Aspect II deals 7 damage (compared with 3 damage for Fire Aspect I) and with only leather armour, this would could potentially two or three hit everyone (except for the Magma kit with fire resistance but having only one kit on one team counter this kit would not make it balanced enough).

Flaming Defense: Similar to Blaze Barrage, having a maximum of 25 arrows is not enough. It should be the same as other archery kits in other games, where you get an arrow every 3-5 seconds up to a maximum of 3 at once.

Protector: Once again, having an upper limit to the number of blocks they can buy from the shop makes this kit seem lacklustre. You say later on that these kit blocks are already the most expensive blocks in the shop, so I feel as though that's an adequate way to balance them out. The diamond pickaxe seems really overpowered. I think a better ability would for this kit to have permanent haste I, as this still keeps to your design idea that they should be good at breaking defences.

Wither team

Dark Archer: I think you mean they can get 12 wither arrows per life(?) which sounds to be pretty fair (as long as they can also purchase normal arrows from the shop). Depending on how open the map is and how many holes there are, I think Punch II might be a little overpowered.

Safe Keeper: see "Protector"

Wither Lord: Again, I think it would be better if you could get a wither skeleton spawn egg once every 45 seconds, maximum of 3. This would stop people rushing your base and then spamming 6 wither skeletons down at once, which would be disastrous and difficult to stop.

Withering Destruction: Yet again, instead of having a maximum of 5 wither splash potions, you should get one every 45 - 60 seconds, maximum of 3, for one, to make sure you can't accidentally through them all at once and waste them and two, because being able to spam them on an entire team wouldn't be very fair. Similarly to "Dark Archer", Knockback II on their swords may be overpowered depending on the map.

Ghast team

Fire Dealer: You haven't mentioned how often you get fireballs which is important to know to make sure if the kit is balanced or not. I don't really agree with the ability to temporarily turn into a ghast. I think this could be glitchy and could cause some gameplay issues. What happens if your ghast model is half stuck in a wall when you change back and you get stuck in that wall? What if you flew high up and then fell to your death when you get reverted back to human? I think it has too many issues to be worth adding to the game, especially since the ability to shoot fireballs is essentially all that a ghast does so there's little point in having both of these abilities since they overlap.

Blissful Archer: see "Flaming Defense"

King Of Fire: As I said for "Fire Master", Fire Aspect II is too overpowered for leather armour, and as I said for both "Dark Archer" and "Withering Destruction", Knockback II could be overpowered, so this kit having Knockback III could be further overpowered and broken. I'm not so sure on the lava bucket. You haven't clarified if they only get one per game or they can get multiple but if that is the case, people could easily flood the map with lava which might be your intention but I don't think that would be very fun gameplay-wise.

Defender: I think ghasts are too overpowered, especially since this kit is free and so the entire team could very likely be using this. Imagine 10 ghasts being spawned to attack a base. There would be very little you could do. I like the concept of getting Smite as an enchantment however the only mobs that would currently take extra damage would be the wither skeletons from the "Wither Lord" kit so as it is now, it's very underwhelming. Perhaps they could just receive a general debuff providing them with extra damage against spawned mobs. As for my opinion on the block limit, see "Protector".

Magma Cube team

Leaper: I'm unsure what you mean by "leaping feathers" but once again, I think an ammo system works better for a longer game such as this. Same for the splash potions of leaping.

Summoner: Again, an ammo system would work better for the magma cube spawn eggs. I like the idea of baby magma cubes dealing more damage, although 4x the damage seems a bit over the top. Perhaps 2x or 3x damage, depending on how rarely they spawn.

Magma Warrior: see "Defender"

Blockade: see "Protector"

Shop
    You say that the blocks people can purchase would be "nether related". I think the blocks should be the corresponding team's coloured wool. This is a quality of life change that would just make it easier to tell at a glance if a team is rushing you, since if the entire map is nether themed then their blocks might blend in. It also lets you know which team has gone where which could be useful information to know (for example if you see that white team has gone towards another team, you know they might be an easy target).

I don't think that you should be able to purchase an Efficiency III diamond pickaxe as even the kit-dependant blocks you've suggested would get shredded by that pickaxe. Especially with the limitations you've put on the size of defences (in the "objective" section), a stone pickaxe would probably be the most reasonable highest tier pickaxe.

Objective
    Where would the spawn egg be located? Out in the open at the top of the fortress, or hidden in an enclosed back room of it? How do you deal damage to the spawn egg? Do players respawn right next to the spawn egg, making it difficult to destroy the egg? If not, can other players on other teams reach your spawn point to spawn camp you once they've destroyed your spawn egg? How long are the respawn times? Would there be a game mechanic to stop games dragging on forever and to limit game stalling? Can you store coins anywhere or do they stay in your inventory permanently until you die for the final time? These are all questions that should be answered in this section.

I have a couple of issues from what you have written though. I personally think not being able to build over 5 blocks tall makes it quite boring and eliminates turtling as a strategy (though I did ask in the last paragraph for a game mechanic to stop games dragging on and this somewhat achieves that since it stops teams creating colossal defences). Secondly, you say that when being killed for the final time, you drop "2x the coins you had acquired". Does that mean 2x the coins you've acquired over the entire game or just while you had that final life? If it's the first one, that allows teams to snowball quite dramatically as that would allow you to buy so much gear and constantly pressure the other teams.

Achievements

"Blazing Victory", "Return To Sender", "Withering Triumph", and "Magma Reign" are four achievements that are effectively asking the same thing. These would be infuriating to complete, especially since you can't guarantee what team you'll get every game. Also since you require incrementally more wins on each team for the achievements, this would mean lots of people queuing for magma or wither team compared to ghast and blaze team which would just annoy people as they'd never get the teams they need for the achievements (the same way the hunter/hider queue in Block Hunt annoys people).

"Incinerating Death" isn't really an "achievement" since it requires you to die by fire. I think this could be changed, instead requiring you to kill a certain amount of people by fire damage. Anyone can run up to someone on blaze team and burn to death, but it takes a little bit more skill and time to kill people with fire.

"Everlasting" is essentially the same as the four win achievements, adding to a total of 5 achievements that just require you to win. Not very interesting.

"Skillful Archer" seems good to me, though it could be increased to having to kill say 25 or 50 people with archery instead of just 1.

"Unstoppable", yet again, requires you to win games. 1000 is ridiculously high for an achievement and I doubt very many people would ever achieve that. It's also the 6th achievement that requires you to just win lots.

"God of the Nether" is good but perhaps it could be reduced to something more reasonable, such as 500.

Just make there be one achievement for winning the game either 50 or 100 times. There doesn't need to be 6 different achievements that are all to do with just winning.

Conclusion
    In conclusion, I think this game idea is good in theory, however it just needs a lot of tweaking to make it balanced enough to be considered. I think that each team having different kits is an interesting one that hasn't been done before on a game like this on Mineplex. It's cool that the four different nether mobs all have kits based around their theme in the vanilla game. The kits just need to be balanced out and there needs to be more information about how the game actually works.

Posted Dec 17, 2019
  11. Alright, I see where you're coming from. Thanks for making suggestions on how to make this game better! This was a lot to read, but I guess my idea does need a lot of work. I'll start on the tweaks soon. I really don't think this will be added, and seeing how much you've deduced the positivity, I don't think it ever will. However, I'll still make modifications.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 17, 2019
    xGetRektedx and Xukuwu like this.
  12. make them add it to bedrock. maybe java would be ok too, but still!

Posted Dec 20, 2019
    xGetRektedx and LT Tombstone 77 like this.