• 355 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6461 Players Online
  • 6106 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

[Guide] Recording / Reporting players efficiently

Discussion in 'Mineplex Guides' started by QuikMiner, Jun 8, 2021.

1. As you may know, Mineplex sort of has an issue with people cheating in games at the moment, and even though they're working on Gwen V2, this is going to remain an issue even after it's implemented. You can do your part though!

While there are other methods of reporting cheaters that are easier, reporting through the forum guarantees a response. Using /report can work, but you can't submit evidence and /reports for gameplay offenses often expire before being looked at. If there's no evidence and the player logged out or toggled or the report expired, they won't be punished!! This is where screen recording software comes in. There are many different programs, but I'm going to be using OBS in this tutorial because it's open-source, easy to use, highly customizable, and works with Windows, Linux, and even MacOS! Anyway, let's get this started.

First, go to https://obsproject.com/ and click on the download for your operating system. Install the program and continue until you get to a screen that looks like this -
    [​IMG]

Once you're there, open Minecraft. Next, click on the plus button under the sources tab and then click on "Game Capture". Give the capture a name and click "OK"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once you're there, click on the "Mode" dropdown menu and select "Capture specific window", then click on the "Window" dropdown menu and select the Minecraft window. Click "OK"
    -note, you may have to redo this if you switch between versions or mods, eg. 1.8 and 1.16
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Your screen should now look like this - if not, click on the Minecraft window, then go back to OBS.
    [​IMG]

Now that that's all set up, we're going to go to the settings to optimize the recordings. Click settings on the bottom right, then go to the "Output" tab.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Once you're there, make your settings under "Recording" match mine.
    The recording path doesn't have to match mine - you can edit yours by clicking "browse" and selecting a folder. I chose my second hard drive in this image.
    [​IMG]

Now, go to the "Video" tab. Here, you can edit the resolution and framerate of your recordings. Lowering the framerate will improve performance in most cases, while lowering the resolution will lower the file size. I personally set my resolution to 1080p and FPS to 60 just because I have enough space for long recordings and a PC that can handle it. You can lower these values, however, I wouldn't recommend going below 30 FPS because after you factor in compression, it may be harder to distinguish some things due to lack of quality. Once you're done, click "OK" and you should be all set! But wait, if you record someone bunny hopping and head snapping, what do you do with the recording!? I'll show you-

There are tons of ways to trim a recording, but before uploading it to YouTube as an unlisted or public video, if it's a long recording you're going to need to trim it. Luckily, Windows has a built-in video trimmer!

Once that's done, take the file and upload it to YouTube, follow the official reporting guide and if there's sufficient evidence, they will be dealt with!

Thank you for making Mineplex a more enjoyable, cheater-free community :sigils:

If anybody has any suggestions or wants to add something here, please let me know!

Edit: @GuitarHero_King suggested adding hotkeys to stop/start the recording, so here's how to do that in case you didn't know!
    Go to settings, click the hotkeys tab, then click the empty box to the right of "Start Recording" and enter a hotkey, then do the same for the box to the right of "Stop Recording"
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tip: If you enter the same hotkey, you can use it as a toggle. I personally don't do that though because I'll probably forget I'm recording and turn the recording off when I need to record something O.O

Posted Jun 8, 2021,
    Last edited Jun 13, 2021
    chhase, rejudge, rilau and 7 others like this.
  2. Sadly in the time it takes you to upload the video, write the report, and get the report looked at any hacker will have already demolished the lobby. Claiming that doing this will lead to a "cheater-free community" is entirely false, as hackers can come back a minute later on a new alt, meaning this process just repeats. If people want hackers to actually be dealt with efficiently changes need to be made to staff request or /report (such as different quotas and the ability for staff members to be notified when a new report is written).

Posted Jun 8, 2021
    Paladise and StyxKiller03 like this.
  3. Yeah, true, but if they aren't using an alt gen and switching accounts constantly (in my case I've reported a couple people who had ranks on their mains on this server) they won't be back then.

Never did claim that actually, but if we get enough people doing this, we can reduce the amount of cheaters we have in games. You'll always have alt gens and such on any server until what microsoft is doing with accounts is finished, but this will help cut down on a different type of hacker - someone not using an alt gen / trying to look legit.
    edit- even then you'll still have leaked accounts but they won't be nearly as common

Yes, changes to the report system would be nice, but at the moment to my knowledge they aren't happening right now, we're waiting on a lot but with such a small dev team it isn't going to happen fast.
    edit- the point of this post was to show what you can do now instead of just complaining.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 8, 2021
  4. Thank you for creating this guide! I've never used OBS myself, but it's pretty interesting to see how it works. Hopefully newer players looking for a decent screen recording software to use can refer to this guide.

Staff members have already suggested lots of changes and improvements to the /report system that have been drawn up and are ready for the developers to reference when they decide to work on this area of the server. Unfortunately there are a lack of developers on the network at the moment and therefore a lack of dev time that can be spent working on this. This is out of our hands, even the Admins'. Updates to the reporting system are reliant only on the devs; we've done all we can on our end. As for your concern regarding quotas, I've addressed that in my reply on this thread.

I don't think it's fair to bring these complaints to this thread when there are several other open discussions regarding the current hacking issue. The OP created a clear and informative guide on how to use OBS as your screen recording software. I unfortunately cannot see how a straightforward guide prompts anyone to voice their complaints. Rule-breakers will need to be recorded and reported on every server regardless of how effective their measures against hacking are, and that's why these threads will always be relevant. It's inconsiderate to ignore the helpfulness of an entire guide thread and instead complain about it; there are so many other threads at the moment where your concerns are relevant to those discussions.

Posted Jun 8, 2021
    QuikMiner likes this.
  5. Thank you so much for taking the time to make such an extensive guide. I greatly appreciate it, and I’m sure a lot of others do too. Thanks for helping out:)

Posted Jun 8, 2021
    QuikMiner likes this.
  6. Hey there!

Thanks for putting in the time to make this extensive guide for everyone! You summed up a lot of really useful and accurate information in this thread which I know will serve as helpful for a lot of people. People can use "/report", the Mineplex Discord reporting system, or the StaffRequest com to report players too of course, but I do agree that creating a forum report with video evidence is an extremely reliable method to do so, as one of the staff members on the Reports Patrol subteam is bound to review it as efficiently as possible. You already linked the reporting guide and talked about a method of recording so there's actually not really much for me to add onto this. Overall this is very well put-together and I admire all of the effort that you put into this, so thanks again for doing this for the community!

Posted Jun 10, 2021
    QuikMiner likes this.
  7. No offense, this is a great guide and all but:
    Only for java
    Not on bedrock
    First download something other than minecraft, that should not be needed.
    Now have a recording software running in the background while you try to have fun, because of a server issue.
    Now take the time and effort to trim it all down to the hacker.
    Then make a youtube channel/account, and upload your video of a hacker to youtube.

I think you see the issue with this lol. Great guide, but nah.

Posted Jun 10, 2021
  8. I post a hacker in report page for 2 days. I do not see any response from you

Posted Jun 10, 2021
  9. thanks for yall's appreciation, I know some people don't want to record but I appreciate the mods here seeing what I was attempting to do lol

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 11, 2021
    xHarrison likes this.
  10. usually the process takes less than a minute if you've got it set up, you don't have to use it though! just here for people who might want it

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 11, 2021
  11. Hey!

This was a really good thread to post! Lots of players don't know how to use complex recording softwares like OBS and this thread described how to use it perfectly! Awesome thread :)

Posted Jun 11, 2021
    QuikMiner likes this.
  12. I think this is a great guide actually, as quite a few people do not know how to download and set up a recording software, even though they might be willing to take the time to gather the evidence and report the player.
    I usually use Bandicam myself, as I find it the simplest, however, a lot of people such as yourself use OBS and that is a great, simple recording software too.
    I commend you for taking the time to create this guide, as it will definitely motivate at least a few community members to report the rule breakers they encounter and do their part in keeping the server cheater-free.
    Keep up the great work!

Posted Jun 11, 2021
    QuikMiner likes this.
  13. Yea, those who want/need this, this is the best guide for it i have seen.

Posted Jun 11, 2021
    QuikMiner likes this.
  14. I have seen many people bring up how they have OBS but aren't too sure how to use it properly, so I commend you for taking the time to create such an extensive and well-written guide. It may not apply to everyone, but it is definitely appreciated.

I know some people have issues with the current reporting avenues, but I hope to see some improvement in that end, as suggestions have been made and I hope some changes are being made based on them. Your reports, whether in game, on forums, or through discord will always be helpful to us and is appreciated.

Thanks again for this amazing guide :)

Posted Jun 11, 2021
    QuikMiner likes this.
  15. This is an awesome guide, covering just the basics that are needed without getting into excessive details that can overwhelm newer OBS users. It's simple once you get some experience, but learning everything is the issue. Hopefully this will help out a few players that are looking to create reports, or maybe just start uploading some videos for fun.

One recommendation I have is using hotkeys to start/stop a recording (preferably using keys that you never use for other stuff of course). Just having the program idle in the background won't take up many resources, then if you find a hacker the instant key-press to record can help capture things faster than changing windows and clicking buttons.

Posted Jun 12, 2021
    QuikMiner likes this.
  16. Nice guide! It does a great job at covering the basic functions of OBS and how newer users should go about getting used to it. This definitely would have been useful to me around 2 years ago when I was struggling to get OBS to work properly on my MacBook Pro. I'm sure this will be useful to newer players or anyone else looking to record players for evidence but have been struggling with doing so.

It looks like your report has been answered, you should have received an alert for this directly on the little bell icon. Alternatively, you can view all of your reports here.

Posted Jun 12, 2021
    QuikMiner likes this.
  17. Thank you everybody!! Added the hotkey suggestion to the end of the post ^^

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 13, 2021