• 301 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2521 Players Online
  • 2220 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned GWEN's development

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by KerbalBoy, Jan 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've noticed recently that (Java) GWEN has become surprisingly good. I only see a hacker about once a week, and even then they get banned pretty swiftly. What's even more amazing is that GWEN can do this without having an anti-cheat developer. So imagine her capabilities with a full-time developer.

The previous anti-cheat developer, ToonBasic, had to resign due to personal reasons. And, you would expect there to be a job vacancy for Anticheat Developer in the jobs section, but there isn't.

My (admittedly, rather simple) idea is to just offer a developer role as Anticheat Developer. If you don't advertise in your own jobs section, then you won't get a developer. And since there are higher-priority issues than GWEN's development, the current Dev team won't have the time to improve her.

Honestly, I don't see any problems with this, but if there are issues, let me know!

Did you know GWEN stands for Guardians Watch Everything Now?

Posted Jan 19, 2020
    Young_Inventor, Toxcity, GAM and 6 others like this.
  2. Really cause I just saw 3 bhoppers in a single lobby messing around lol

Posted Jan 19, 2020
    Flame and GAM like this.
  3. there actually was an anticheat dev position on the jobs page until pretty recently so who knows what that means

also as someone false blacklisted from clans right now thanks to gwen and who just saw a man flying around in a dom game i can confidently say it's still not good lol

Posted Jan 19, 2020
    GAM and Mitchy like this.
  4. I'm not too sure but they probably don't need an Anticheat developer at the moment if the slot isn't on the jobs page. Some of the other developers may be working on the Anticheat or they are just working on some updates for it.

Or they may be in the process of selecting an Anticheat developer ;)

Posted Jan 19, 2020
  5. Ah welp .-. That just makes the idea more important, not less. Maybe I just play at times when hackers aren't online?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 19, 2020
  6. I don't think GWEN uses machine learning or anything of that sort, so it doesn't make any sense that it would just randomly improve out of nowhere. Probably you weren't playing at a time when hackers were around (they are kids so perhaps you were playing in the middle of their school day).

I thought that there used to be an anti-cheat developer on the jobs page, not sure when it was removed though but it was definitely there. Maybe they got a bunch of applicants recently and want to take a look at them before reopening applications?

Posted Jan 19, 2020
  7. Yes. We need a new anticheat developer because ToonBasic resigned, and we don't care who it is. I also think GWEN should detect hackers in lobbies because hackers can still cheat in gladiators by using combat hacks, and that's not what we want.
    +1

Posted Jan 19, 2020
    Minevaft likes this.
  8. Thread Moved to Website Feedback
    I don't have any comments on this thread.

Posted Jan 19, 2020
  9. Hey!

I think it could be a good idea to have a spot on the job-list called "AntiCheat Developer" since we don't have any AntiCheat Developers at the moment. On the other hand, you said that GWEN seems to be better and that you haven't noticed any hackers lately while you were playing. This means that GWEN is actually doing its job, so that can be the reason why the Management hasn't released a job called "AntiCheat Developer". I believe if there were need for an AntiCheat Developer, they would've been announcing it already, so most likely the Development Team is not looking for an AntiCheat Developer.

Overall, it is a good idea to announce that an AntiCheat Developer job is offered, but as I've said it would probably be already if needed. It's up to the Development Team to decide.

Posted Jan 19, 2020
  10. I believe that we need to hire some GWEN developers, but that will be too hard since the GWEN developer ToonBasic had resigned. Also, in my opinion, the way how GWEN works is pretty complex, and it'll be very hard to modify it and know how this works. It doesn't matter to me on who will it be, but I am pretty sure that this server will be more secured if hiring GWEN developers would happen.

What I am concerned about is hackers that develop their way to bypass GWEN (which implies that they do not get banned for a very short time) if GWEN isn't take care of. But if GWEN is more strict, then false bans will occur frequently and that'll be very hard to appeal.

To sum this up, we have to offer GWEN jobs, but the problem is that it's very hard to understand how GWEN works. Other than that, it is still possible to update GWEN.

Posted Jan 19, 2020
  11. Yea, it seems as though I just play when everyone else - including the hackers - is asleep.

How recently was this? I check the Jobs page essentially every day, and I haven't seen the Anticheat Developer offered in months.

Agreed, hackers in lobby gladiators are incredibly frustrating, but GWEN doesn't watch over lobbies, and by extension gladiators, due to the amount of cosmetics that can imitate hacks, such as morphs which let you fly. Annoying but understandable.

Despite GWEN being okay in Java, at least in my opinion, it isn't perfect, and from what I hear, GWEN in Bedrock is awful. Anti-GWEN hacks are being developed constantly, and so GWEN will always need to be developed constantly. No anti-cheat is perfect, so I don't see why the Admin+ team would refuse to offer an Anticheat Developer job.

Anti-GWEN hacks are a problem, but they don't mean that there should be no Anticheat Developer. In fact, it means the opposite. And false bans do occur, but with an Anticheat Developer there would be less.

I don't see why GWEN is hard to understand. How to code GWEN is hard to understand, unless you're a programmer, but the theory behind Anti-cheats in general is simple.

Basically, some code checks a user to see if what they are doing is possible. For example, if someone is jumping 50 blocks high, the code sees that as not normal without hacks, and bans them. That's it.

If you mean something else, just tell me :D

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 19, 2020
    20LeeBrian1 likes this.
  12. I don’t see why there can’t be an anti-cheat developer. However, there are currently a lack of devs in general so I think the job was removed to get new developers focused on developing a new game / feature.

Posted Jan 19, 2020
    20LeeBrian1 likes this.
  13. Hey,

I do agree there should be a listing for an anti-cheat developer. Though, this doesn't mean that there will be qualified candidates applying. Now there could be a reason they had removed the listing for the job, but sadly I don't possess that type of information.

Posted Jan 20, 2020
  14. Hi,
    As a close friend of ToonBasic, GWEN required a lot of time and dedication that he couldn't provide due to being a college student. I do think the Jobs Section should have a GWEN Developer listing but I don't think Mineplex is actively hiring developers. The job applications are handled through e-mail and I've previously applied for the back-end developer position and received a response but never a former decision [stating if I was denied or accepted]. I feel like Mineplex should bring development applications to the forums so people can have a more formal application process because e-mail doesn't really help. The "Jobs-Dev" email is probably full of so-called "developers" and qualified developer applicant emails are lost in the inbox.

I've seen on other threads and heard from staff members in Mineplex's Discord that members of the development team are working on GWEN, specifically AlexTheCoder.

Posted Jan 20, 2020
    FluteVegetables and KerbalBoy like this.
  15. I don't really see a reason not to add it so why not? +1

Posted Jan 20, 2020
    20LeeBrian1 and stinkiy like this.
  16. GWEN has been a ton better although if someone is using on clans be ready for 50 hackers to log on ready to destroy you. Clans is the breeding ground for hackers, but despite this GWEN is way better than before.

Posted Jan 20, 2020
  17. Woa, good idea :o I imagine Trainee applications are spammed all the time, yet we can get up to 7 new Trainees a week. So if we implement some of the (hidden) features used to eliminate non-worthy Trainee candidates, then I could see this working out.

And although this would require some time from Admins, they can eliminate most bad candidates, and then involve the Admin team. It's worth it anyway.

So, I recommend making a new thread about that, because as you know, this isn't the place to have a discussion on a different idea really .-.

Just because someone works in the anti-abuse sector doesn't necessarily mean they also know how to create cosmetics. Getting a new GWEN developer doesn't necessarily mean losing a cosmetic / game developer.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 21, 2020
  18. If Owners wish for it to be added to the page, they will have it be added. I'll have this be marked as not planned and locked as it's up to higher ups on what they want on that page and when, not us. Message me with questions or concerns.

Posted Jul 24, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.