• 727 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9165 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Have posts in Off-topic section not be in recent tab.

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by Typr⌨️, Aug 12, 2019.

?

Have posts in Off-topic section not be in recent tab.

Poll closed Aug 22, 2019.
  1. Yes.

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. No.

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Other, say in comments.

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. See results.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hello, as a fellow forum go-er I'm sure you can agree that when you go on the forums you want to see content about mineplex itself, well I agree. I want to start out by saying I don't dislike or Hate off-topic posts, I just think there needs to be a change.

One way I think we could fix this is have a separate section for the off-topic posts and the regular posts. This would make the main new posts section less crowded and have it so you can distinguish between off-topic and regular posts.

So I know this one will be controversial, but maybe just get rid of off-topic posts altogether. As I'm sure you can agree the mineplex forums were made to talk about mineplex, and discuss ways to improve and better mineplex. But the off-topic section just seems to me like filler, I see no real benefit from off-topic posts.
    Another way could be to not have off-topic posts be in the recent posts area at all. They could just be in the section for them, again this might make the recent posts less crowded and make the website cleaner.

So I know some of you will say "Well its still a post" and my answer to that is like I mentioned above The forums weren't created to talk about "What do you like more cats or dogs?".

Anyway thanks for reading this. I hope you have a good day! :D

Posted Aug 12, 2019
    Acerna, leo_thya, PapiKirito and 4 others like this.
  2. I believe it should remain as it is, the Recent Posts should represent all posts in the website as a whole, but instead maybe add a way to see only certain subforums in the Recent Posts for a user. Essentially like a preferences for Recent Posts. That would solve your problem and also add more customization to the user experience.

Posted Aug 12, 2019
    Yato and Typr⌨️ like this.
  3. I’m kind of on the fence with this idea. I know that a lot of people love off topic posts and a lot of players make active contributions to those types of posts. Even I myself like posting there from time to time. I definitely don’t think that they should be removed, because while as you said they don’t really contribute anything important to the server they are still very fun to make and to hear other peoples thoughts on your post. I think your idea of removing them from the recent posts section is a lot more reasonable but I’m just not really sure its necessary. It keeps the off topic section active and, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, sections that aren’t on recent posts are nowhere near as active. I’ll give this a +0.5

Posted Aug 12, 2019
  4. Yo,

Most forums have an Off-Topic section if they’re good. People in general want to be able to talk about what they want to talk about and not be limited by only being able to create server related (or whatever forum they’re posting on’s equivalent) threads. In Off-Topic, people are allowed to talk about their favorite Pokémon, computer specs, airplanes, you name it, as long as it follows the forum rules people can talk about whatever they want. Taking it away won’t “make the forums look clean”, it’ll be taking away an essential section of the forums. Off-Topic is one of the most active sections too, which is why you see it a lot in Recent Posts.
    As for being able to toggle what you see in Recent Posts, I believe that’s been suggested before and I think it could be a decent feature but I’d love more people’s opinions on the matter. Marzie just recently created a thread about the Hot Threads and that wouldn’t include the Off-Topic section most likely, so feel free to leave your feedback about what sections you don’t want there.

Posted Aug 12, 2019
  5. It wasn't viewable on enjin was it?

Posted Aug 12, 2019
    Typr⌨️ likes this.
  6. Heyo,
    As Off-topic posts are shown in "New posts" section may look annoying or messed up. However, it's an essential part of the forum and it won't make it look clean instead it will make it like only MP topics related. Players like to talk about many topics not just MP. It would be better if they made "Off-Topic" section which is related to off-topics only. I'd rate 0.5 as it's not a bad idea.

Posted Aug 12, 2019
  7. But, Isnt I a good thing if its mp topics only? I mean this is the Mineplex forums, not the off-topic forums.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 12, 2019
    PapiKirito likes this.
  8. This is the best solution to fix the problem. This is the Mineplex forums after all and as the name suggests, it should be used to discuss anything related to the network. On the other hand, users would also like to have some freedom in public discussion which is what the Off Topic section is for. Those just looking for casual conversation or topics about the server are both benefited from this change a they can scroll through the new tabs, only seeing what they want.

+1

Report a User | Report a Bug | Apply For Java Trainee | Rules| My Profile

Posted Aug 12, 2019
    Typr⌨️ likes this.
  9. I think calling off topic posts "essential" is a gross overstatement. They literally contribute nothing and clog up latest posts. I do get that making those kinds of posts can be fun or interesting, but off topic discussion already has a place: your wall. I don't mind if we keep off-topic as it's own section, just for the sake of those who enjoy it, but I do really want it to be removed from latest/new posts because it does push down threads that actually have ideas or contributions towards the server. If people actually bothered to look at the individual sections, I wouldn't mind so much, but unfortunately lots of people (myself included a lot of the time) are lazy and don't bother to look past new posts. This leads to many great ideas for the server not getting any attention because half the new posts section is filled with off-topic/art/youtube videos at any given time.

Definitely agree with this, would be fine with either method mentioned.

Posted Aug 12, 2019
    Vocaloiid, Typr⌨️ and Marzie like this.
  10. Until wall notifications can be added, I don't think pushing most non-mineplex related talk to walls is a great statement to stand by, even with wall notifications it wouldn't be very inclusive since you'd have to follow a bunch of people to get responses ideally. Going back to my previous post, I'd be more than happy to not see Off-topic in the hot threads section, if it is added, but seeing as off-topic is a section on the forums it should be included in recent posts. If people are posting on off-topic posts more than other threads, that just means they want to post on off-topic. I have yet to see recent posts entirely filled with only off-topic and art/youtube showcase threads, there's always a few ideas threads, server discussion or game-specific threads. Now I wouldn't be super angry if they were removed if that's what the general community wants, but I feel like it isn't a super high priority and I would rather have a lot of other features added to the forums before this.

I don't recall, been almost a year since the switch.

Posted Aug 12, 2019
  11. I vaguely remember it being not viewable on enjin, and back then almost every FM was for keeping it non viewable. But now that they're viewable, FMs and FNs are agreeing with it? Are you guys just agreeing with LTs opinion or making your own?

Posted Aug 12, 2019
  12. Well I mean that's the point of pushing off-topic to walls; reducing the amount of off topic chatter that takes place on the forums. People can want to talk about off-topic stuff all they want- but they should take that to their own personal walls or other social media imo. The problem with leaving unproductive, yet popular threads in latest/new points like I mentioned earlier is that they bump down actual threads that contribute to the server. You are correct that New posts isn't 100% off topic at any given time, but it's also undebatable that those sort of threads are always up there, sometimes taking up as much as half the section. Any 1 off topic thread thats up there is taking up a slot for another on-topic potentially good idea for the server.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's fine that people want to talk about non-Mineplex stuff-just don't do it on the Mineplex forums.

Posted Aug 12, 2019
  13. I’m not an FM/FN so I can’t speak for them. That team has also changed almost entirely since Enjin so I could understand if the newer people had different opinions.

Retracting my previous statement, if wall notifications were to be added I would be perfectly happy to try and move most off-topic discussion to walls since it would encourage players to “follow” people and talk to people on walls. I’m mainly advocating for it to stay in recent posts because it allows the community to easily talk to each other about topics they would talk about in casual conversation because it can allow people to find new friends. Quoting Papi, “most people are lazy and don’t bother going past recent posts” this is why I feel that off-topic should stay, unless of course wall notifications are added to people you follow.

While yes, this is the mineplex forums, forcing people to solely talk about mineplex doesn’t allow for great intracommunity interaction and can lead to discontent. For example, you go to school but you aren’t allowed to talk to your friends or anyone if it isn’t pertaining to the class, and that class lasts the entire day.

Posted Aug 13, 2019
  14. Personally, I don’t think off-topic section posts should be viewable via new posts. Most of the time, they are completely unrelated to Mineplex operations and make no sense for new players or other players to have to see them. I’ve replied to a lot of off-topic posts, as there is genuine discussion in them; although they are normally not Mineplex-oriented. The off-topic section doesn’t exactly need to be viewable for it to still be a proper section. I’m worried if the activity will go down in the section, however. Most people will see that off-topic post and reply to it, primarily because they saw it in the new posts. Regardless, I’m all for decluttering the forums and focusing on pushing more ideas, players builders, genuine conversations, etc. on here, rather than “What’s your favorite fast food place?” I think that by doing this, we’d almost be pushing this Mineplex content towards people and would receive more replies to our threads/ideas.

On the topic of moving off-topic related conversations onto walls; I think that’s a great idea. Although, the wall system has to be improved, with different notifications and such for it to be a viable place for those types of conversations.

That isn’t how it works. I feel like there is a common misconception with how we operate and who we talk to. We aren’t just constantly talking to LTs and having them tell us what to think or say? I know I can’t speak for everyone, but in regards to myself; I can form opinions on my own, and anything I’ve ever posted has been 100 percent my opinion. Not Jarvis or any other LT has ever told me how to think about a certain idea. They’ve told me their stance on it, but have never required me to think that why.

Posted Aug 13, 2019
  15. I meant almost every because I remember people being against having the threads on enjin. I know some agreed with it, but some only changed their opinion when Jarvis was for having it on the new forums. Never said they were told to agree, but likely some changed their opinion when the new forums came out/shrug

Posted Aug 13, 2019,
    Last edited Aug 13, 2019
    Caameronn likes this.
  16. As far as the school analogy goes, I think it's much closer to being able to talk to your friends (walls, other platforms), just not during the class (Newposts). I've never had a teacher who encourages off-topic discussion during their class. As for as being discontent goes, I can assure you that myself and many others are plenty discontent whenever we see something like "Im running for Mineplex president" at the top of New posts instead of an actual idea for the server.

Like I said in my first post, off-topic is fine with it's own section, but that section shouldn't impede on ideas that actually contribute to the server. We shouldn't be promoting off-topic discussion as much as we're Mineplex ideas. By keeping it in new posts, we are just encouraging people to reply. It infuriates me to see needed threads like balancing changes or kit discussions kept out of the spotlight by "what's your favorite cat?".

Posted Aug 13, 2019
  17. I don’t really use the off topic section often so I’m not very qualified to comment.. With that said, I don’t see any harm that the off topic section is causing anyone nor do I see any reason to remove it or do anything about it frankly.

Posted Aug 14, 2019