• 2039 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4618 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Survey History

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by xGetRektedx, Jan 25, 2020.

?

What interests you?

This poll will close on Feb 24, 2020 at 1:25 PM.
  1. Greek Mythology

50.0%
  2. Roman Mythology

28.6%
  3. Norse Mythology

28.6%
  4. Egyptian Mythology

7.1%
  5. Chinese Mythology

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. All of the above

14.3%
  7. Other

21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hello everyone,
    I know school can be boring, but every once in a while you pick up something that interests you. I’m sure my brother and @°3° can agree with me on this one, but I’m interested to see what others think of this. Personally, I love Greek Mythology. I’m fascinated with it for some reason, in fact I can name almost all of the Greek gods and goddesses. Am I Greek? I don’t think there is any Greek in my blood, so it’s strange that I am interested with its history. I am also intrigued with Roman Mythology, as it is basically the equivalent of Greek Mythology. I have to say it’s my second favorite history topic. I can probably name all of the Roman gods and goddesses as well as their Greek equivalents. If you don’t know, most gods and goddesses have either a Greek or Roman match (Hades-Pluto, etc). As interesting as Greek Mythology and Roman Mythology is, I have to say my third favorite history topic is Norse Mythology. As a Marvel fan, it has always interested me, as one of the characters in the MCU franchise is Thor, who is a god in Norse Mythology. I have been told by one of my close friends that Egyptian and Chinese Mythology is interesting as well, so I will have to look into those sometime. My favorite Greek god is probably Hades (God of the Underworld), I would love to see what your favorite god/goddess is in any mythology! Anyway, enough about me, I would like to see what interests you. This should be an interesting thread, can’t wait to see what everyone says!

Posted Jan 25, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 25, 2020
    Korben, LT Tombstone 77 and KerbalBoy like this.
  2. This is why you're amazing. If you haven't already, I encourage you to listen to Hadestown. It's a musical about Orpheus and Eurydice, but it has such an amazing soundtrack. And Hade's voice is so deep it's amazing c:

I've got a link to the soundtrack if you're interested. Just DM me!

In case you haven't noticed, I prefer Greek mythology. Why? Well, they're the original gods that the Romans stole, and their myths are amazing and wonderful. For example, in order to explain mint, your average plant, they created the god of the dead having an affair with someone who turned into a plant who was then crushed to death by the goddess of spring's foot. It's ludicrous and wonderful and it's the best mythology :D

Posted Jan 25, 2020
  3. I read a bit about the Kalevala, an epic that describes Finnish mythology, for a some sort of school project some 15 months ago. I think it's got a really interesting way of describing the nature - for example, the saltiness of the ocean is explained with a story of how a mill keeps producing salt at its bottom, which got there after an epic fight between the son of nature, Väinämöinen, and an evil witch. I forgot most of it if I'm honest, but I just read on a Wikipedia page that Väinämöinen served as an inspiration to Tolkien for the creation of Gandalf, so I think that's pretty cool.

I would also like to read more about Norse mythology, but there's so much text about it that it would probably distract me a lot.

Otherwise, I have a group assigment for Art class (since we're learning about old Greek art) to make a rap song about Zeus and perform it, and I'm the only male in the group so wish me luck.

Posted Jan 25, 2020
  4. I think I love all of these mythologies. But I have to say that I’m mostly into Greek Mythology. Roman Mythology is also pretty good. As well as Norse Mythology... cause, you know, Thor XD. My favorite Greek God is probably Hades as well... either that or Hephaestus. So for Roman... Pluto and Vulcan xD

Posted Jan 25, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 25, 2020
  5. Εγω αγαπαω ελληνική μυθολογία. As you can see I am a Greek myself. I like Greek mythology. Roman mythology stinks a little bit because of it's plagiarism. I also know a bit of Egyptian mythology and slav mythology.
    My favourite character from Greek mythology is Thalos, I might be a bit wrong with the name. I like him because that is basically a GREEK JAEGER WITH IT'S OWN INTELLECT. That is an actual myth, I kind of hate the ending because he just wanted a peaceful life!

Posted Jan 25, 2020
    LT Tombstone 77 and xGetRektedx like this.
  6. I am really interested in Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Norse, and Chinese mythology. My favorite of them would probably be Greek, but I also love Norse. Its just really interesting for me and fun to read about. I love ancient history in general though and there religious beliefs are really fun for me to look into, but I dont really know why
    Something about it just holds my attention and makes of enjoyable for me.

Posted Jan 25, 2020
  7. Sounds like fun! My 6th grade teacher was obsessed with Greek Mythology and she definitely got me hooked on it. We read a book about Odysseus, we had to do a play on Greek Mythology, and we had to choose three assignments to do on Greek Mythology (I choose another play, poem, and Myth). I haven’t heard of Finnish Mythology before, so I’ll have to check it out some time!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 25, 2020
    LT Tombstone 77 likes this.
  8. Yeah, I honestly don’t understand why I find it interesting, as other history bores me to death. I just found a fascination with it, and I’ve stuck to it ever since.
    I understand why you hold a grudge on Roman Mythology, as I also dislike some of it because of the fact it is taken from Greek Mythology.

OP OP
    Korben and LT Tombstone 77 like this.
  9. I would definitely love to hear the soundtrack! I also love the philosophies behind Greek Mythology. One philosophy that interests me the most is the River Styx. (I always liked it because in a show I watch one of the towns was Stix) I think it’s cool that if you bathe in it, you can become almost invincible (Don’t know if you’ve heard that philosophy before) Well, if you survive, that is. I am basing this off of the Percy Jackson series. Another things I find interesting is Tartarus, how it is really the body of a god, the evilness that lies within it, as well as its equivalent of hell. The River Lethe is interesting as well. A river that takes away your memory? Not one I would want to swim in. An infamous creature that amazes me would be the Hydra. Overall, the history behind it all is just amazing, and I’m always happy to find someone else who has the same interests as me!

OP OP
    KerbalBoy and LT Tombstone 77 like this.
  10. Hi!
    —-
    Interesting concept you’ve brought up here. I can definitely relate to this, although, school does not bore me, as it may for others, such as yourself. I enjoy school, and history is in fact my favorite subject. I am interested in lots of ancient history, my favorite being Canadian Mythology (since I am in fact, Canadian). Although, now that you bring it up, Greek Mythology is also intriguing. My favorite Greek god is probably Ares (God of War, Roman equivalent=Mars). Roman Mythology is alright, as @Cardyceps stated it is plagiarizing Greek Mythology. Although, despite these facts, I would love to visit Rome and Greece. My favorite Roman god? Vulcan (Greek equivalent=Hephaestus) Probably my second favorite Greek god, as I love his ability to control flames. I have read about most of the Mythologies you listed, even more. Thanks for making this thread!

Posted Jan 25, 2020
    xGetRektedx and LT Tombstone 77 like this.
  11. I'm actually really interested in this thread idea. I love being able to learn from others through their interests and the passions that they carry with them. For me, I'll say I'm interested in two. I wouldn't necessarily call this "mythology," but I've always been quite interested in the Romans. Back then, the Romans were huge on stoicism, and it's a fairly interesting philosophy. Apart from their philosophy, I'd say I'm interested in the Romans instead of just their mythology. However, I'm going to be completely biased for my second interest. I was born in Norway, so of course, I'm going to be interested in Norse Mythology. I find it fun to learn about where you're from and what people did long before your generation. I've never seen these movies, but as you've mentioned, there is Thor included in the Marvel movies. I enjoy being able to see where I'm from shown in things like that, especially since the newest 'princess' movie, Frozen, is also based in Norway.

Posted Jan 25, 2020
  12. That’s interesting, actually, I have relatives in Norway.

OP OP
    honeuy | liv likes this.
  13. That's awesome :)
    I was born in Norway, but I'm also German. As of now, I live in the United States since we moved when I was about to turn 16. I find Norsk (Norse) history interesting considering Scandinavians were considered Vikings. It's something I liked to get into when I had free time, but I haven't look too far into the mythology as I have with the Romans.

Posted Jan 25, 2020
    xGetRektedx likes this.
  14. It’s fascinating to go all the way back and see what was believed and what wasn’t. I always wonder what else I can learn about the ancient history of our ancestors, or other mythologies.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 25, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 25, 2020
    honeuy | liv likes this.
  15. It’s intriguing what other people believe in, and their opinion on the mythologies I’ve studied. I find it interesting that although your favorite Greek god is Ares, your favorite Roman god is Vulcan. Personally, I like Hephaestus better than Vulcan, and Ares better than Mars. I’ve never studied Canadian Mythology, but I’ll have to check it out.

OP OP
  16. Thread moved to surveys

I really enjoy Greek Mythology. I haven’t done a lot with mythologies in school, but Greek mythology has always fascinated me. I read the Percy Jackson series when I was little, that got me into it. I really enjoy reading about the lessons and experiences the characters face in the variety stories about Greek Mythology.

I remember doing a unit on Greek Mythology back in Freshmen year. That unit got me reading a lot of the traditional stories.

My favorite goddess would have to be Athena. I think she is an interesting character, and has a great backstory. She is also the goddess of wisdom and war. Unlike Ares, who is mainly just a brute, she is wise and pays careful attention to everything.

Posted Jan 25, 2020
  17. I’ve read the Percy Jackson series, as well as The Heroes of Olympus series, and I enjoyed them both. I did a unit on Greek Mythology in 6th grade, so that sort of boosted my interest in it. I actually read ahead in my textbook just so I could read about Greece, if you can believe that.

OP OP
    LT Tombstone 77 and 510bike like this.
  18. Heyo!
    I prefer the history period of Henry VIII. I love history and hope that people can see the use in it. The only reason I fall is because of my teacher. I'm in top set and she just annoys you.
    Me: *sneezes*
    Her: *STAND OUT NOW!*
    Overall, I recommend that period. I think it was the Tudor period, I don't know. :P
    Cheers!
    ~Sean

Posted Jan 26, 2020
    xGetRektedx likes this.
  19. Hmmm... Who is the worst enemy in entire history? Is it a guy with funny mustaches or a bold Italian guy.
    The answer is simple: salami sandwich. That is because that assassin dude who started the war was able to find the target second time because of his sandwich. He got his sandwich at the very moment when the car of the politician dude arrived so we can conclude that the sandwich caused 2 wars and a possible nuclear apocalypse!
    P.S. I didn't mention the names of the people and the names of the wars because I got a warning when I did it last time. I am pleading moderators to don't give me another warning.

Posted Jan 26, 2020
    xGetRektedx likes this.
  20. I’ve actually never heard of that period, I’ll have to keep it in mind. Also, good luck with your teacher lol.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 26, 2020
    Sean ✩ likes this.