• 278 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5900 Players Online
  • 5622 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

How Mineplex could fix Gwen.

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Winterfoxx, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Alright, so there's basically no way to disagree with me. Gwen is terrible. Literally 50% of the games I join have a blatant bhopping flying player. So, as a developer, I'm going to suggest some ways that Mineplex could fix their anticheat.

So first off, let's talk about combat. Gwen has horrible combat checks, and fixing this isn't as complex as you think.

1: Check for consistent clicking delays.
    Most hacked clients don't by default use random click delays. By checking if there are exact same delays between 5 hits, that is a combat flag.
    2: Check for consistent times between blocking and hitting.
    Same thing as above. Most clients use a consistent blockhit delay. By doing the same as above, you can really help with blockhitting using hacks.

Next up, movement checks. Something that is currently ruining mineplex right now, is this one person that made a fly. Everyone copied him, boom, fishy is dead.

1: Hover checks.
    By checking if the player is still midair (you can't blink on mineplex, so yeah), you can simply flag them if they have been still midair for a good while. This can be done by checking for 0/positive y motion when over the void.
    2: NcP fLy ChEcKs
    NCP's fly checks are really good, since nobody can really fly on it. Don't use ncp for anything else tho.
    3: Speed checks.
    A good way to check for speed hacks is to test how long a player is in the air, and what their motion y is on first jump. For example, you could test and see if the player is in the air longer than should be possible. You can also check if the players initial motion y is higher/less than the normal jump motion y (of which is 0.419999/0.42).

Also, make vpn checks so they detect all vpns, whether the vpn is based in america or not.

And, try IP banning. Lagpixel does it, as well as the security alert thing, which makes their playerbase much more legit.

(Edit) Also make server teleports instant. I promise its not that difficult.

Posted Jul 24, 2021,
    Last edited Jul 24, 2021
    StyxKiller03 likes this.
  2. or maybe if they actually tried to push out the update they were working on

Posted Jul 24, 2021
    le Brownie likes this.
  3. Didn't know they were working on an update. Hopefully they see this before they update.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 24, 2021
    StyxKiller03 likes this.
  4. they won't care even if they did see this thread

Posted Jul 24, 2021
    VoidNnja and CatFan105 like this.
  5. Let's hope for the best that the devs are actually working on an update with Gwen (and perhaps use your ideas too, since they sound pretty good to me). The rest is up with them, if they plan on making an update or not.

Great ideas btw.

Posted Jul 24, 2021
    CatFan105 likes this.
  6. Thank you! Yeah, I was a dev in the cheating community for a while (anarchy), and know a thing or two about how anticheats and clients work.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 24, 2021
    Tanish_, StyxKiller03 and CatFan105 like this.
  7. Hello,
    I believe by this point most active players know Gwen V2 is being worked on, and likely some if not all of your suggestions will be added in its full release. I truly don't believe the current Gwen anti cheat is "terrible". It actually does its job pretty well, when I go to record hackers with bhop or fly clients Gwen usually gets the player while I'm recording, or before I can even get sufficient evidence. This is also when I'm in /spec so I can have full view of the suspected hacker the whole game. I've also seen hackers/ bhoppers speed bridging in cake wars, and when they accidentally fall off the bridge, they might "slowly fall" and Gwen will still kick them for suspicious movement, leading me to believe it checks for "hover" or similar movements currently.

I'm not sure VPN checks are done by Gwen or if they will be in Gwen V2 (of course we only have limited information on this development), but I'm not really sure how a bot/plugin would do this, or why it being in America would matter. Staff members have also said VPNs are not allowed, although I'm not sure how much this is enforced. Also, I will have to disagree on the IP checks part. IP checks should not be able to be done by the anti cheat as I see this being problematic, and false bans would automatically become much more severe. I know hackers are big problem, and we should report them, but leaving IP banning to the Staff team seems like a much better option to me. IP bans are very rare, which I believe is for the better, because when hackers play on public wifi, I believe this leads to a problem with a IP banning, and of course staff don't want to ban siblings or something of that sort.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by making teleports instant. Unfortunately, server lag is problem that can't really be fixed.

Posted Jul 24, 2021
  8. Currently a major problem with GWEN and flight/movement hacks is that after any "teleport" (normally clans abilities) GWEN is shortly turned off, allowing people to fly no matter how good their client is for a short while. This is even worse with movement legends in clans and in SSM, as hackers are able to constantly fly as the movement anti-cheat is turned off.
    TLDR: Make abilities work with GWEN rather than just shutting it off entirely.

Posted Jul 24, 2021
    Tanish_ likes this.
  9. uhh, what?

From wiki articles, GWEN is developed by the same developer of advanced anti cheat (AAC)

GWEN has weird combat checks, but using over 3.5 reach is a guaranteed ban, and even lower levels can be detected under certain circumstances. GWEN also can detect certain killaura rotations, and clicking patterns.

Hover checks 100% exist already, how can you even think they don’t?! AAC corrects invalid movements, if you hover for too long, it’ll lag you downward. Hover checks are probably the first thing you would implement in a fly check.

NCP is outdated, and a buggy mess. The fly checks false all the time, that’s why “Lagpixel” has so many false lagbacks.

speed checks also exist.. correction of invalid movements.

The main reason GWEN is so outdated is it’s most likely based off of an outdated version of AAC. Hopefully GWEN V2 will introduce a newer set of checks.

These all seem like really simple, rookie checks that would be introduced in any anti cheat….

Posted Jul 25, 2021
  10. The reason I mention IP banning is because I'm making a bold assumption that gwen v2 will rarely false ban.

There are gwen reach disablers. They are quite common. Allow 6+ reach.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 25, 2021
  11. I didn't know that GWEN was aac based.,

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 25, 2021
  12. GWEN isn't terrible, it just needs some updates. Our anti cheat developer is incredible and knows how to fix it, for sure. We're just struggling to have the updates pushed currently because he has been unwell. We hope to see the updates soon, since Gwen v2 was announced a while ago..

Posted Jul 25, 2021
  13. Correct me if I'm wrong but GWEN V2 was made and tested a few months ago during a CW test. It seemed to go well there and while I'm sure there's things that need to be done with it I find it hard to believe that an "incredible" anti-cheat dev has been "unwell" for the past few months to the point that they've been unable to do anything to a seemingly already complete anticheat.

Posted Jul 25, 2021

14. The anticheat during the Clash of the Cakes tournament was in fact done to a very high quality; but, it was not completely finished to everything we want, hence why it hasn't been pushed to the entire network.

Posted Jul 25, 2021
    Evgeen and maevestarbaby like this.
  15. It's been a couple of months since that happened, has our dev been sick for months?
    Also at this point we need something pushed out. So long as GWEN V2 isn't false banning people (more than GWEN normally is) it should just be pushed out without extra patches and such. Better to have something to show for months of "work" being done on the anticheat than for hackers to continue killing off the server.

Posted Jul 25, 2021
  16. I agree GWEN could be updated but at the end of the day you’re going to have cheaters regardless of how many updates are pushed out.

Posted Jul 30, 2021