• 1098 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3182 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

How Mineplex Java is Arguably Regaining Prestige

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by _Prof_, Aug 11, 2019.

1. A couple of months ago, you usually see around 2k players online on a weekday evening, and 2.5k on a weekend afternoon. In June, those numbers have been amplified significantly, namely because that is when American and Canadian players, possibly even more countries, got started on summer vacation. I do not have statistics to backup my claim but I am confident in saying that at least half of the player base is in North America. The Java player count ramped up to about 3.5k on evenings and 4k on afternoons. I also do believe that Mineplex has filled some things on their agenda which made the server better, they will be outlined below:

1. Finally Hiring a Developer For GWEN: The server's anti-cheat has been a controversial topic for the last few years. It started in 2017 when client developers discovered how easy it was to bypass GWEN. There were hundreds of cheaters every day and that absolutely sabotaged the server. From there, GWEN was left out to dry and the amount of cheaters eventually became so large that staff got overwhelmed. On the contrary, I am very glad to see ToonBasic appear on the stage to fill that gap. Congratulations on achieving that position, do not let us down!

2. Many Former Players Returning: Mineplex's prime was in 2015 when they broke the record of most players online at once, passing 43k. I was not around for that time period but the videos I watched displayed some players present then, once again here. Some staff members have even rejoined the staff team, like Sven and AppleFTW. This shows that those players have restored faith in Mineplex after previously quitting most likely due to their unsatisfication of the network.

3. Mixed Arcade Servers Brought Back: This is one of the more recent events. Mineplex got a lot of hate for the butch queue system. I consider myself an extremely loyal Mineplexian that will stay with the network no matter what, but my god, did that get me rethinking if I really wanted to remain, that is saying something. This killed off every Mixed Arcade game that was not popular and their fan bases who subsequently left the server. Just from its reception, you could already tell it may be looked back at if Mineplex did indeed shut down. Thankfully, the old queuing system was revived and players are happy again.

To summarize, the most notable area Mineplex stepped up was community interaction. The server was accused many times in the past of ignoring players' ideas/criticisms and now those talks have quieted down. I am looking forward to seeing the continued work from Mineplex, the future actually looks pretty promising.

EDIT: Former players coming back to the server is only a sign of regrowth, not something Mineplex actually did on their end.

Posted Aug 11, 2019,
    Last edited Aug 12, 2019
    Sakeusi, Danese, ezlee6 and 12 others like this.
  2. Hello there!

This is a good analysis of the server over the past few months, and I agree that this server has finally started to regain it's prestige. I have been seeing this slight regrowth of the community, compared to where it was even back in March of 2019. Though I think Mineplex will not go back to where it was in 2015, I believe that Mineplex will see more regrowth through 2020, as long as it continues to take it's Java server seriously. I myself have definitely seen some of the people I knew from a few years ago return to the server. Overall, the Java server is going to gain back some of the players it lost through 2017/18.

Posted Aug 11, 2019
    Saker and _Prof_ like this.
  3. I can also agree that Mineplex has been regaining its prestige. Like you've stated, some clients can easily bypass the anti-cheat, resulting in many hackers getting away, damaging Mineplex's reputation regarding hackers. With our new developer working on GWEN for the past couple of weeks, it's only a matter of time to hopefully see a drastic decrease of hackers on the server.

As for returning players, I can relate with this point. I first discovered Mineplex in 2015 and came back after taking a break. I've also seen many other people return, and this is a very favorable sign of Mineplex regaining its popularity.

Lastly, Mixed Arcade was something that I've seriously missed since its removal. I was more than happy to see Mixed Arcade servers brought back, and now it's one of the biggest game modes on the server. This update was also mostly inspired by numerous community members who have expressed wanting to see Mixed Arcade servers brought back, which pleased many players.

Overall, the community has experienced growth lately and I think it's safe to say that as long as the server listens to the community and rolling out updates, we will see massive growth on the server. Hopefully, this is the case, as I'd love to see the server where it was back in its prime days.

Posted Aug 12, 2019
    itskalee, _Prof_ and MythicalCake like this.
  4. Great analysis of the server! Like @MythicalCake said above my post, yes. I do also agree that Mineplex is starting to finally regain the prestige. From the rebirth of Minecraft, Mineplex has definitely been gaining lots of popularity, and I personally love it! It was very nostalgic to me when I saw Mineplex almost hit 5k players the other week. So I definitely do have the faith and confidence for Mineplex, and I for sure believe that it will grow through the rest of 2019 into 2020. So hopefully it'll be a great experience for our playerbase! :D

Posted Aug 12, 2019
    _Prof_ and UwUBladings like this.
  5. I defienetly agree with this, future seems bright!

Posted Aug 12, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  6. Agreed. Now we just need a new game.

Posted Aug 12, 2019
    Sobki, Joiined and _Prof_ like this.
  7. I, personally hope the numbers aren't just up because of it being summer time, and I hope it stays like this! I have been a player of Mineplex since 2014 and it's been an very enjoyable experience. I have high hopes for the server if the leadership team keep moving in this direction. Good work on putting the thread together and let's see where Mineplex goes from here on out!

Posted Aug 12, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  8. I would rather say it is unlikely, a lot of things must go perfectly, however. If the server replicates what they were in 2015 and Minecraft keeps climbing back in popularity, it may very well happen. You are partly right though, it will need a mere miracle.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 12, 2019
  9. I agree it's nice to see Mineplex doing better. And though I don't think it will return to how it was in 2015, I do believe it will only be up from here. A lot of this is from Minecraft doing better as a whole as well. The better Minecraft is doing corresponds to how good Mineplex can be doing. I agree that all your points are only helping.

Posted Aug 12, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  10. I hope java can reach at least 10k players sometime. The biggest thing mineplex could have done to not lose players is improve the anticheat years ago. Why is the anticheat just now being improved now that the server is almost dead compared to before? I think mineplex should have just used badlion anticheat because that's one of the best anticheats ever made and stops the majority of hacks out there.

Posted Aug 14, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  11. The reason they didn't work on Gwen before is because they need a specific developer to program or update it.

The reason they don't use the Badlion anticheat is because they can't steal nor copy it otherwise Mineplex could get sued. Now that we have ToonBasic who hopefully will be putting out updates soon :)

Posted Aug 14, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  12. I think it's a public anticheat because on badlion client there's a BAC server list which all use badlion anticheat.

Posted Aug 14, 2019
  13. I hope this continues. When I started Mineplex was like up to around 16k I think.

Posted Aug 14, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  14. Actually, the BAC server list is just servers that are partnered with Badlion client :)

Hope this helped clear somethings up

Posted Aug 14, 2019,
    Last edited Aug 14, 2019
    bestjoedavena likes this.
  15. I also think the addition of a VPN blocker has and will significantly benefit the server in terms of the cheater/rule problem as it will be much harder for cheaters and troublemakers alike to bypass their punishments which will make it so much easier for staff and GWEN to keep up with the number of rule breakers that have been tainting Mineplex quality of life and community morale.

Posted Aug 14, 2019
    Kyuine and _Prof_ like this.
  16. I hope Mineplex takes stride with the success it has faced over the past few months, especially since summer time arose. You'll notice that Minecraft has had a resurgence, and Mineplex took advantage of it and made sure to take care of business and work with the influx of players. Having signature games such as Cake Wars and Nano Games truly allowed the server to continue thriving and keep a solid player base.

Really good analysis!

Posted Aug 14, 2019
    Kyuine and _Prof_ like this.
  17. I agree with all the points you stated @_Prof_ and this is definitely not the work of examine staff sadly, this regrowth is just because of the media influences. I feel like the signature game modes such as cake wars and nano should take a step in the direction that -snip- did and constantly update the game, add new limited time modes, more tournaments. Give people a reason to keep coming back. Also old players come back for the nostalgia as I'v seen but after a bit of playtime it gets a bit stale. Once you have mastered everything you want something more, but there isn't anything. Also gwen needs to be updated and fixed ASAP. Maybe some new game modes. Mineplex definitely has the potential, they just have manage the server correctly and manage the hype.

Great analysis!

Posted Aug 15, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  18. Hey,

I love the positive mood overall here. I'm happy to things pan out with Java, especially recently. Numbers have been higher, games have been a lot more enjoyable, and bringing back Mixed Arcade to the old system has been great to see.

Posted Aug 15, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.