• 1397 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9463 Players Online
  • 8066 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

How no taunts are harmful

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by mean guys are smelly, Sep 6, 2020.

1. No taunts are harmful. Maybe only a little bit at most.

Easy Mode Taunt
    Many people make threads about why the easy mode taunt should be removed, as they say that saying ez a lot counts as general rudeness, and the taunt is saying ez. However, in the taunt, it actually says '[username] THOUGHT to themselves, is this easy mode?' and not '[username] said to their opponents, is this easy mode?' Plus, their not even saying that it's easy mode, they're just asking if it's easy mode.

Emoji Taunt
    ;o is nothing but a colon and an o, which means that they could be trying to say something beginning with o like octopus. ;) and :) are nothing but a colon and bracket. And <3 is nothing but a 3 and a less sign, it could also just mean an ice cream.

Chicken Taunt and Eternal Taunt
    This taunt is not harmful either because the person using the taunt is just trying to say that they're sick of waiting for you to come out and fight them.

Gloating Gardener Taunt
    The person using this taunt needs something productive to do to 1. pass time for the person to come out and fight them and 2. get something productive done so they don't have to worry about it later.

Snowball Fight
    Hey, at least they're not throwing 1000 year old eggs at your face!

Frost Breath Taunt and Infernal Taunt
    This taunt is mostly used to be creepy, not offensive.

Trick Or Treat Taunt
    When they do a trick, you should have gave them candy when they said trick or treat. When they give out treats, they're giving you stuff, they're only trying to be nice.

Rainbow Taunt
    Nothing but a colourful, harmless rainbow, it doesn't even say anything in chat.

Blow A Kiss
    It's just a kiss, how simpler can I put it for you?

Posted Sep 6, 2020,
    Last edited Sep 6, 2020
  2. Hey there!

All taunts were made for entertainment and cosmetic purposes only! Sadly I don’t see how this thread should be posted in the Help section.

I’ll have to kindly ask a mod+ who looks through this to move this thread to Server Discussion :)

Have a great day!

Posted Sep 6, 2020
  3. Hello!

I agree that most of the taunts aren't harmful, especially since their purpose is to "taunt" their opponents. In fact, most of them seem like fun cosmetics that you can use during the game. However, in certain contexts some taunts can seem a little bit toxic. For example, the easy mode taunt, when used immediately after killing someone, seems to be a way to bypass getting a warning / mute. The person is essentially saying "ez" after killing someone, which could fall under General rudeness (if used excessively), if actually said in chat. The problem is that this taunt circumvents that and promotes toxicity, which led me to create this thread. Your argument that:

doesn't fit. Obviously that player is thinking to themselves if something is easy mode because something provoked them to think that. In most cases, the event that caused them to think that is the act of killing another player (especially if they used the taunt immediately after they killed someone and started shifting in the place where they killed a player). Now "thought to themselves" does not fit the fact that it not only appears in chat to the whole lobby, but also above their heads. It essentially is more of a statement. The question posed, in their minds, is obviously going to be yes. If it wasn't, they wouldn't have used the taunt. While yes the taunt serves to frustrate the other player, let's look at what the gameplay trolling punishment says:

With that being said, the other taunts do seem less of a taunt and more of a cosmetic to use in game, like the Blowing a Kiss taunt or the Infernal taunt. These, I believe, make a great addition to the server and promote the shards economy.

Posted Sep 6, 2020,
    Last edited Oct 8, 2020
  4. Hey,

I agree, I've responded to a few threads where they mention that some taunts should be removed and it's surely cleared up here and stated well. It's a taunt, it's not made for harm, it does what it's supposed to do, especially if it frustrates another player.

Posted Sep 6, 2020
  5. didnt you try to get taunts removed like 2 weeks ago

Posted Sep 6, 2020
  6. taunts aren’t toxic at all - except when i spam my easy mode taunt keybind after killing someone and shift on the spot where they died - but otherwise like you said it’s not harmful at all!

Posted Sep 6, 2020
  7. ur all ez mode

Posted Sep 6, 2020
    Clownzeh likes this.
  8. Hi there,

I completely agree with this thread. At the end of the day it's all fun and games and there's nothing wrong with a little joke. I think taunts are a nice feature. When I play Java I use my eternal taunt when hiding in death tag just for a bit of fun. While I can see why some players might find them a bit toxic I really think they're just there for a bit of fun and that's the way most players use the taunts.

Posted Sep 6, 2020
  9. If it was thought, in their head, and not expressed to all players, then no, it would not be general rudeness. However, this taunt is publically stated to everyone on the server. It is not "thought". It is stated, by command of the player, to everyone in their server. To call it not rudeness under the justification that the taunt says that it was "thought" is ridiculously far-fetched. If it was "thought" then the thought was kept to the player's self. It wouldn't be broadcasted to the rest of the server.

Not saying that this taunt is GR, as that isn't really a discussion that I need to get into. But, I am saying that I believe that this is not a valid argument for stating that this taunt is not an example of GR.

Posted Sep 6, 2020
  10. I’ve responded to a lot of threads asking for taunts like the easy mode taunt to be removed, and my stance remains the same. If these taunts were considered toxic, then they wouldn’t be a thing. And the way it’s said is honestly not that bad in my opinion - “is this easy mode?”. If someone is really bothered by it, they can always leave the game.

Posted Sep 6, 2020
  11. people getting offended on a block game in 2020

Posted Sep 6, 2020
  12. Taunts are pretty much a workaround for toxicity. It's like a fun alternative to saying "rekt, ez" by making a robot do it for you in the form of "Taunt >" which is what I love about it. I personally don't get offended by any taunts and others shouldn't either as they are just fun and games.

~~

Posted Sep 6, 2020
    BloxedAdam likes this.
  13. I do also not get offended by taunts as they are just fun!

Posted Sep 6, 2020
    andr3w likes this.
  14. I've seen the easy mode taunt being talked about for a while, and I want to offer my two cents on the matter. To go and say that it's "just a taunt and is therefore not causing any harm" when there's something that staff currently punish for, and is essentially an imitation of that taunt, is a consistency error. Is it actually a taunt, or are we being misled by whoever made this taunt who might not fully understand that implying this behavior excessively (saying "ez" 3 or more times) can get you warned for general rudeness? That's how some people view this taunt with what staff members are punishing for: it can very easily be seen as a loophole of saying "ez" as if that rule no longer exists.

I can only imagine some people responding in disagreement with this post saying that "it's still just a taunt," which would only prove my points here - why or how exactly is this taunt fine to use when saying "ez" is not? Just because something is labeled as a "taunt" doesn't inherently mean it is good or harmless, that argument can appeal to nature and avoid criticism, and the conflict that this taunt creates is an example of that. This whole time, players could've been saying "Taunt> ez!!!" 3+ times (literally, labeling their own messages themselves with "Taunt>") and not be punished for it by that logic. I'm not saying that this is not a taunt on its own, but for what is being punished for by staff members (saying "ez" 3+ times), I get the impression that this behavior is less to be treated like a taunt (or something as harmless as the rest of the taunts for what Mineplex defines them as) and more of something that staff would take seriously for how players exercise that behavior.

You're attempting to justify that this taunt is causing no harm whatsoever by saying that the player thought to themselves, "Is this easy mode?", that they're not directly saying it towards people, and that they're "asking themselves" a question, but that's not it. First off, there's no such thing as thinking something to yourself only for you to say it out loud in the chat anyway, as that's what taunts do. If that's true, then it's not a thought anymore, it's now an expression - so that in itself is deluding us for the taunt being something else. Second, how exactly is something a taunt and not being directed towards people? A taunt's only connotation is to be directed towards someone as defined on Merriam-Webster. Finally, judging by the fact that (1) this is defined as a taunt, (2) the taunt is actually viewed as an expression for it to be used in a public chat for everyone else to see, and (3) saying "ez" is (in essence) no different than what the taunt is saying because it is also an expression that implies the same thing, the way that the taunt is used is less of a genuine question and more to make people feel worse about themselves like "ez," and that's exactly why saying "ez" 3+ times is against the rules. Because "ez" can cause harm, this means that the taunt can cause harm just as much.

The rest of the taunts are harmless because it doesn't create any conflict with any behavior that is punishable, but it's not fair to say that the easy mode taunt is harmless when there is an inconsistency with bad behavior. The taunt creates a conflict with behavior that staff members are currently punishing for, and if this were to be resolved, here's what I suggest: (1) change the taunt so that it's (somehow?) not implying the same behavior as saying "ez," (2) remove the taunt completely or replace it (come on, you have other taunts at your disposal), or (3) if the taunt is actually harmless as you claim, if this was all just something we would use to have fun with one another as the rest of the taunts are designed for, then remove the "ez" rule.

You're either for or against this behavior, there's no middle ground.

Posted Sep 6, 2020,
    Last edited Sep 6, 2020
  15. I did but I changed my mined

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 7, 2020
  16. Actually, yes

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 7, 2020
  17. bump

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 26, 2020
  18. bump

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 8, 2020
  19. It could be argued that Mineplex is way too strict about mutes and the taunts in general. Literally, there's a good suggestion to avoid being taunted on - don't die. If someone taunts constantly, just make sure that you don't die to them. Honestly, I think if you're getting upset over someone saying "ez" in a Minecraft gamemode, there's a problem that lies deeper than what we're all talking about. This taunt is fine to use while saying "ez" is not because you earned this taunt by reaching level 80. I've been muted personally and taunting is a fun way to show someone who said something to me in the chat that I can still kill them whilst muted. Of course, this isn't the only reason, but you get the general picture. I've just never heard of taunting with the easy mode taunt to make anyone upset except a few people. The taunt is meant to taunt, or "anger, wound, or provoke someone." There's a usage for the taunting and, in excess, it's annoying but still shouldn't be punishable just because someone got saddened by it. Instead, make there a longer cooldown, or a cap of 5 taunts per game, or any other solution besides muting a player who isn't even typing anything themselves.

Posted Oct 8, 2020
  20. nah just delete the taunt thats easier

Posted Oct 8, 2020
    Paladise likes this.