• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

How to Git Gud at SSM (Mentality + Improvement)

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by Crash, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Crash

Crash

Since the vast majority of the community is made up of scrubs, I figured why not make a thread teaching players how to actually improve. This will include a step-by-step process of how to get a better mentality focused on improving instead of whining on forums (which I'm betting the majority of people on forums are looking to do).

1. Disregard prior assumptions. Unless you are actually a known, named competitive player already- I am willing to bet real money that you suck. I do not care how many wins you have, I do not care how many chickens you have camped out- The level of play you are at is very likely laughable. All those other factors tell me is how many games you have spent cheesing other players, or how deeply you have ingrained bad habits and incorrect assumptions into your understanding of the game.

Disregard everything you know. Because for every combo you think exists, there is one that is way better. For every matchup you think you know, there are likely several important factors you have failed to consider, or that you do not experience due to the level of play you are at. You may not realize it yet, but it is doubtful that you even know all the core mechanics of the game, let alone fully understand how they apply to gameplay.

Note: Even if you are a named competitive player: You are not exempt from this. Being less trash doesn't mean you aren't bad. A trash bin isnt as big as a landfill, but its still garbage. There is always something more to learn.

2. Play to Learn, not to Win. The vast majority (and by this I mean something close to 99.9% of players) do not consciously think while they play. They do not really look at what the opposing player is doing, in a lot of cases I doubt they really even think about what they are doing.

Do not be these players. At the level you are at, every single interaction you have with another player, kit, etc.- even in places where you do not recognize an interaction is occurring, anything you do could likely be done more efficiently in multiple ways. If you want fast wins, finding a broken kit or 'OP' move can carry you to win more pub games than not, but if you want to improve as a player trying to find a broken kit, tactic, strategy, etc. will not do the trick.

When you die, ask why. When you get hit, ask why. When you land a hit, ask why. What led up to it? Could I have predicted it? What other things could I have done along the way to get a better result? All of these are very good questions to be asking yourself while you play or when reviewing your play.

If you want to get better, you need to first and foremost not be afraid of losing some health, a stock, or even an entire game trying to figure out what you can do.

3. Pick a kit. Specifically you want kits that force you to play around the fundamentals of the game, or kits that challenge your mechanical or technical skill. When you pick one of these kits, you want to stick with it and learn everything you can about it. While you can learn a lot about the game (particularly as a new player) from jumping between a variety of kits, forcing yourself to play certain kits over and over into a variety of situations will force you to start thinking about the game differently.

Kits that force you to play around fundamentals are kits with straightforward abilities and little room for tricking or mechanically outplaying your opponent(s). This includes kits like:
    Cow
    Blaze
    Squid
    Creeper

While playing these kits, the objective of improving should be learning what you can do to avoid taking damage, falling into the void, etc. while also putting yourself in positions where you can potentially hit other players. Your game plan should not be to Firefly and then run other players down while holding RMB. If you find yourself resorting to this, switch to a different kit.

Kits that challenge your technical or mechanical capabilities generally have abilities that can be used in a variety of ways, or that if used improperly will indirectly hurt you. These kits force you to more actively think about what you are doing and how decisions you make effect your opponents and vice versa. These kits include:
    Spider
    Guardian
    Iron Golem
    Zombie
    Villager
    Slime

While playing these kits you should be learning what mechanics they have and how you can use them. This comes in a wider variety of ways- From learning energy management with Slime to utilizing direct double jumps and DJ resets as spider. If you cannot utilize the mechanics these kits revolve around, you will struggle. Again, the focus of using these kits should be figuring out what you CAN do, not finding something that works against bad players and then doing it over and over again.

4. Learning from Mistakes. For the purposes of learning, you can break most mistakes down into 3 categories: Mechanical, Knowledge, and Judgement based.

Judgement mistakes are where you had all the information necessary, but did not act correctly according to what you know. Jumping and not making it to another ledge is an example of this- You probably know roughly how far you can travel and what the distance is, you just incorrectly assumed you would make it to the other side. These are easy to notice, and easy to fix. If you do something and realize it doesnt work how you expected it to, adjust how you make that decision in the future. Easy enough.

For named, competitive players: Judgement mistakes can also be mindgames or situations where there are multiple things you or another player could do, with potential benefit. I will not go further into this, but pay attention to what you and opposing players tend to do and be ready to punish anything someone else does frequently.

Knowledge mistakes are when you act (or don't act) because you do not know something, or properly understand it. If you play Creeper and dont realize that you can cancel Explode, that is a knowledge based mistake. If you didnt realize Chickens cooldown for Chicken Missile resets if the missile hits and you jump into a chicken immediately after getting hit by it and die, that is a knowledge based mistake. A while back I did a gameplay review to teach an Enderman player. After playing a match with them, I had recorded it and pointed out that at multiple points in time, the player would be able to blink into me and melee, and if he did I would not be able to effectively respond. While they were a good player, they did not recognize when this option was available to them and the advantage it could give.

The difficulty in knowledge mistakes is that in some cases you may not realize you are making the mistake, or why the decision you made it a mistake. Again- there is always more to learn about the game.

Mechanical mistakes are by far the most common, and are also the most prevalent at all levels of play- yes, even between top competitive players. Any time you do something where the result is determined by how well you can do it, if it doesnt work it is a mechanical mistake. Any time you miss a melee hit, or could have potentially hit someone with melee, that is a mechanical error. Almost every single missed arrow, projectile, tech, triple jump, etc. is a mechanical error. Simply by playing and consciously trying to improve as a player you will slowly get better and make a smaller number of these, but at the competitive level both stocks and games can be won or lost by differences in mechanical skill.

Realizing when and why you make these 3 types of mistakes and minimizing the amount you make will do a lot to help you improve.

5. Pursue Perfection, Achieve Greatness. When you start to improve, there will be a lot you can learn, and a lot you can improve at. You want to experiment with your gameplay and find what you can do in any given situation to put yourself in a better position. There is always something that can be done faster, more efficiently, more effectively, etc. I do not care who you are- you make mistakes and do not always punish mistakes your opponent makes.

If you truly want to get better, attempt to always improve anything and everything about your own play that you can. Movement, aim, decision making, game knowledge, etc. can always be improved. If you are not frame perfect in everything you do, you aren't good enough.

This might seem like a very depressing point, but the lesson is that if you always look to do things better than you can currently, you will not become as good as you can be. I dont care who you are, you are not capable of perfection, but you can become a better player than you are now.

6. Everyone has habits, every kit has habits, every player has habits. Learn them. There are tendencies every single player will have at some point in time. There are TONS of tendencies players of each kit has, and tendencies that each player has. A lot of them are abusable.

For example: Every single Sheep main from here to Narnia will DJ-Rocket-DJ. Almost every one of them will also turn and then DJ-Rocket-DJ, and then generally start charging static lazer if they are not moving solely to reach high ground. If you play Zombie and you recognize when a Sheep will do this, its a free arrow and that sheep just burnt every movement option they had. If you are wolf, you can generally DJ-Cub Tackle or DJ-Wolves Pounce. There are ways you can punish habits like these. Some of these tendencies are very complex- I know instinctively when 99.9% of Iron Golem mains will turn around and Seismic Slam if you chase them. Its something I picked up, and not something I believe I will ever be able to properly explain how to recognize and punish. Other tendencies are very simple- Sheep players using DJ-Rocket-DJ or how Wolf players approach are generally very straightforward, and if you are looking you can see the tendency almost immediately.

There are also tendencies specific players have, and tendencies almost every player has- For instance, almost everyone has this TERRIBLE habit of trying to DJ back into other players after getting hit backwards, off an elevated point, off a ledge, etc. This is INCREDIBLY punishable, and I personally relish at the opportunity to casually strip stocks away from competitive players when they do this, despite knowing better. If you can learn to abuse common mistakes and you have good fundamentals, you will start being able to win a lot more pub games with virtually any kit by making few mistakes, not falling for obvious traps, and consistently punishing these mistakes.

Note: If you are a top named competitive player and I see you DJ in, I will personally strip away your stock, crush your hopes and dreams with a chainsaw, come to your house and then kick you all the way to @Jam 's house in Aussie land where HOPEFULLY 300 ping will give you enough time to reflect on your life choices before you DJ in.

If these tips didnt help you, you are probably a casual player (not saying there is anything wrong with this) or a scrub. Feedback or questions on how to improve are welcome.

Posted Jan 8, 2019
  2. Bonse

Bonse

Really well put together! Love it!

Posted Jan 8, 2019
    xHyee likes this.
  3. Crash

Crash

Hope you find it helpful

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 8, 2019
    xHyee likes this.
  4. Jam

Jam

99.9% of players who come to Aussie land don't end up coming back unfortunately. ;[[

Posted Jan 8, 2019
    xHyee and Bonse like this.
  5. leo_thya

leo_thya

Ayyy you're back. I'll actually comment after I read your thread.

Very interesting thread. I think that the most important tips people should pick up are #4 and #6. Personally, learning your opponent's habits is the most effect strat. There are many times that in doing so, helped me have an edge over them. (Ahem looking at you @SaltyDoughnut) Blazes and their run n' firefly thing makes them very predictable.

Posted Jan 8, 2019,
    Last edited Jan 8, 2019
  6. Crash

Crash

Good. That will teach them for spamming DJ in.
    --- Post updated ---
    Learning to pick up what the opponent will do is definitely a very valuable tool, though it is very difficult to teach.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 8, 2019
    Jam likes this.
  7. JN_PlayzMC

JN_PlayzMC

Yo!

I think this is a very great idea I think Mineplex should add this thanks for this thread!

- JN_pLAYZmIMENSFACRFAT

Posted Jan 9, 2019
    xHyee likes this.
  8. xHyee

xHyee

Ay,
    After reading this I became top 5 global SSM players and have transcended space and time.
    Tysm +1 big oeuf point for you <3

Posted Jan 9, 2019
    Bonse likes this.
  9. Cabob

Cabob

After reading this thread, I moved to detroit and became human. More poeple need to follow suit and become more than just robots.

Posted Jan 9, 2019
    CCopy, CCozy, xHyee and 1 other person like this.
  10. james610

james610

That was one frank guide.

Though I'm pretty sure that I've got the point you tried to make here, I think you overdid it with the "trash talk" lol. Technically speaking "bad" only means below average right? Or as a relative term, in which case the standard must be very, very high. Again, I see why you might've said the middle two lines but it came off sounding a little unnecessary.

I think it would've been better to leave it as follows: Note: Even if you are a named competitive player: You are not exempt from this. There is always something more to learn.

Since let's be honest here, unless someone has miraculously coasted through competitive play with little skill, no-one at that level is bad. They're above average, and better relative to most SSM players.

Aside from that, solid guide

Posted Jan 9, 2019
    CCozy likes this.
  11. FreezaSama

FreezaSama

Very well written for players who wants to become stronger

Its getting boring if you sweep the entire game in a few less minutes

If we get more powerfull players we will be able to have more fun and exciting combats, good work making this post

Posted Jan 9, 2019
    xHyee likes this.
  12. Crash

Crash

I chose the words I used for a very specific reason, and while I think its fine to disagree, the point is to be a harsh reality check.

Bad is relative, but relative to perfection you can always improve- and if you arent looking to improve, then you will end up falling behind. If you took a reasonably skilled player and threw them back int 2013 or 2014, even if their skill isnt super crazy now, they would likely be comparable in skill to some of the absolute best players back then.

There are also a number of players who have gotten to a competitive level that truly do not know what they are doing. You can get to a high level without knowledge of fundamentals or really thinking about how you play and plenty of people have done this by just refining their mechanical skill, particularly with kits like spider.

This is not even considering win grinders who are 'better' than most players because they find a kit that is unbalanced, and then just do things with it that most players dont know how to respond to. Along with this there are players who think they are good that really aren't, and particularly on forums you can see this over and over. "Player skill issue" became a meme within SSM GI for a reason.

Ultimately, this thread is meant to be a reality check to anyone looking to improve as a player. You will notice where I put that note was in the section on disregarding prior assumptions, because if you are at a 'high' level and assume you know everything, all you have done is created a barrier that you are going to struggle with while trying to improve.

Being harsh is my way of cutting through the noise. Its fine if you disagree with that methodology, but IMO if you want to improve, you cant have a problem with being told that you may not know the best methods for everything.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 9, 2019
    xHyee and Cabob like this.
  13. CCopy

CCopy

accurate

Posted Jan 9, 2019
    CCozy and xHyee like this.
  14. Crash

Crash

Learning to find what other players will likely do is definitely super helpful, but its also not something you can always rely on. It's definitely something worth looking into if you dont already actively think about it.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 10, 2019 at 9:54 AM
  15. leo_thya

leo_thya

Didn’t you already say this lol.

Posted Jan 10, 2019 at 1:41 PM
  16. hazeae24

hazeae24

When reading this I felt like I was watching those really inspirational/motivating videos that gets people pumped up about whatever their goal is. (That is a compliment.)

This is one of the best SSM threads I have ever read. This really put everything that it takes to be a great SSM player into words and not just killing players mindlessly. SSM is such a complex game and is so much more than simply hitting or shooting people and hoping you kill them; you need to be aware of everything. I know I am not good at the game and I am nowhere near the level of being "great", but I do appreciate your advice and take it to heart. I don't aspire to become a super competitive player, but your advice will help me and many others improve to become more aware, competent, and skilled in SSM. Thank you. <33

Posted Jan 11, 2019 at 12:18 AM
  17. Rainbowtrol

Rainbowtrol

I see our ways of thinking are alike: everyone is trash, aside from the VERY best players, who're "ok" or "good".

Uh... I dunno. I don't specifically have anything else to say about the thread.
    Sometimes I wonder if I should really pick this game up again, and maybe try to get actually competitive, but the only kit I find fun... sucks? and the game isn't that fun to me anymore so... eh. It'd probably be a worthless endeavor.

Posted Jan 11, 2019 at 6:20 AM
  18. Eroil

Eroil

Great thread, had a blast reading it, especially since I have a fetish for people I don't know harshly scolding me for how bad I am in a Minecraft minigame.
    No idea where I got it from.

Posted Jan 11, 2019 at 8:22 AM
  19. leo_thya

leo_thya

You don’t know the almighty Crashtash?!?!?!

Posted Jan 11, 2019 at 9:06 AM
  20. Crash

Crash

I have definitely mentioned it before, but not in the OP.
    --- Post updated ---
    If you dont enjoy just playing the game, then (generally speaking) playing to learn and improving isnt going to change that.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 11, 2019 at 7:43 PM