• 1396 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9834 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

How To Improve This Map

Discussion in 'Build Showcase' started by BlazeFire, Aug 21, 2019.

1. I'm working on a map for Slime Cycles, and I need some tips. I'm reusing a theme from an unfinished Micro Battles map of mine, as well as some of the structures. What do you think of the border walls, and should I add foliage on top of it? What about the maze, how does the design look, and what block pallete should I use? (the dirt is just a placeholder)

https://imgur.com/a/unspStk

Posted Aug 21, 2019
    Meq and Xukuri like this.
  2. Hey,
    I’d recommend that you add some more detail to the outside walls as they’re pretty open at the moment. Another thing that I would suggest is that you fix up the mini-game area as it’s dirt right now, though your probably doing that right now.

Posted Aug 31, 2019
  3. Hey OP, I'd like to apologize in advance if this post sounds a little harsh

I've had extensive building experience and I can tell you right now the stuff you're building is way too vanilla. It's lacking block diversity big time, and I'm not talking about your organics. The theme itself seems to just be the vanilla terrain with a few oriental trees in the corner. If you're looking for structures, google "Oriental Architecture" and you'll find a boatload of inspiration.

I'd highly suggest adding in some banners mixed with the lanterns hanging on those fences. It not only helps create a festive feel, but if you make them pink they actually go with theme you got going on. I'd also select the sky above the players and do something like //replace 0 4%160:6,0 to give the illusion of some leaves flying in the breeze. Little things like that go a long way

I also appreciate you making the screenshots in vanilla without shaders, it helps show your actual build without filters.

Posted Aug 31, 2019
  4. Thank you, both of you, and I actually tried banners already on another map using the same theme and structures and the builders agreed it was a nice touch, but found it kinda pointless.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 7, 2019
  5. You have a lot of work to do but I think you're getting there. if you followed the instructions of the people above I'm sure it will turn out fantastic.

Posted Sep 8, 2019
  6. Hey!

I haven't had much of a builder career in Minecraft myself. I've previously been a builder at one of the biggest servers in Norway, for probably 3 months. I didn't do much, to be honest, but I have a small amount of experience.

Of what I can tell. You're off to a good start. Shaping the build and making it ready to be detailed in what you do first in a build. What I would suggest is:
    - to make more detail and use blocks to your build to make it look better and more interesting
    - trying out more terrain and such around the build, remember that the main attraction isn't the only attraction

I would love to see how you've improved the build in the future. I'll stay updated to give feedback!

Kind Regards,
    sesses

Posted Sep 8, 2019
  7. Hello
    ➢ First, you have to remove the surrounding super flat area as it is visible in the playable area
    ➢ Try to add some detail in the ground as it looks very bland and boring with just stone. Maybe add some Sakura patterns or something to spice up the ground to make gameplay to look more interesting, make sure to not add hills though!
    ➢ Try to make the the surrounding terrain of the map taller to make it look more natural as well. It doesn't really make much sense to have a 4 block stone + grass wall.
    ➢ Again with detail, instead of using to dirt texture, I feel it would be nice either to use the same pattern of the Sakura leaves or just use the normal spruce leaves.
    ➢ Overall, just make it unique! There are so many Sakura themed maps so this is your time to add something different that many other community builders wouldn't do. This generally means backgrounds (mountain with a village, etc.) and to be creative when making your map.

If you have any questions / concerns, feel free to reply to this post or hit me up with a message :)
    ~BasicT

Posted Sep 8, 2019
  8. I think the map looks pretty good overall, but a few things that would look good added:
    -Maybe some cobblestone somewhere? So it's not just wood.
    -And follow some of the other players suggestions!
    Have a nice day!

Posted Sep 8, 2019
  9. Thanks again everyone, I'm talking to build lead Dutty and I'm working on a plan.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 8, 2019