• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8594 Players Online
  • 5704 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion In-Game Changelogs

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by landay, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Hey gamers,

As I've played throughout the years, I've noticed that the majority of the player base does not check the forums or discord actively (or ever) in order to see what changes go on. A lot of players complain about changes happening and them not being aware of said changes. We can't assume why they don't check the forums/discord since parents may not want their child on either platform, especially if they're under the given age for them. My suggestion is nothing new or unique, but simply my own take on what I'd like to see. I want to see in-game changelogs on the network right now. I know that it can sound quite confusing, so I took the time to take some visuals.

[​IMG]
    This is where I'd think it would be located. It would be similar to the cosmetic menu, and when you click on the item it will bring up a GUI. The GUI will be a little messy compared to the other GUI's on the server like the cosmetic GUI or game selection GUI, besides the stats GUI, that's a mess and a different thread at a different time ;). The GUI could also be found when you do /changelogs.

After clicking the paper, the GUI that comes up will be:
    [​IMG]
    As I said, not the prettiest layout so if anyone has any suggestion for it, do let me know and I'll work something in. But as we see here, it's a double chest full of papers that have the date for when the update was pushed. I used the most recent changelog at the time of me writing this, which was one of the Christmas changelogs. I would like to think the color scheme here is good, but I wouldn't mind seeing the green and yellow swapped. Other than that, the arrow is a way to go to the next page of changelogs. The idea behind this is that every small changelog, hotfix or not, can go in-game for anyone to view (except the staff only changes).

Of course, this brings in the question, how would people know that there is an update? A simple message when someone logs in similar to community alerts would be sufficient in my opinion. It would look something like this.
    [​IMG]
    It isn't the neatest but I think it will get the job done.

So yeah, that's my idea. Sorry for the entire long post. Again, I wasn't the person who originally came up with this idea, I simply made my own rendition of it and made a demonstration on how I think it should/would go. If you have any feedback, feel free to let me know so I can fix it up, this is a small project I'd like to make perfect :D

Posted Jan 7, 2020
  2. I think this would be quite useful for players that don’t have access to either Forums or Discord. Changelogs are frequently posted on Discord from what I’ve seen in terms of Hotfixes/Bugfixes so I hope that can be managed easily in-game as well as I’ve seen many questions in-game regarding current bugs. I honestly don’t see an issue with this as long as it’s consistent with it being updated in-game along with Discord and the Forums. Right now a big part of our playerbase and new players are unfamiliar on where to find these changelogs but I think this would be an easy way to send it to them directly, and the alert seems like the perfect way to notify them on recent updates.

One suggestion I have in mind is to include an item (paper probably) in the Quick Compass that directs you to the Changelogs in addition to the /changelogs command. That’s all I can think of for ideas but other than that this idea is something I hope we can implement in the future.

Posted Jan 7, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 7, 2020
  3. Honestly I’m not opposed to this idea at all. I think that you did a pretty good job demonstrating a possible system for with this your screenshots, and I agree with you that a lot of people who don’t look at the forums or discord might actually benefit from this as it can be useful to know what changed. I agree with Nolan that there needs to be a command for this, and even possible an item in the compass.

Additionally, you mentioned that there would be some sort of notification in chat. For people that do read change logs online this could be redundant and annoying and I’m sure they’d want a way to turn this off. I think there should either be a command or an item in /prefs that you can toggle the chat notifications with. Maybe, the command /changelogs brings up a GUI that contains all of the information and then a button that you can use to toggle the chat notifications.

Overall, I think with mine and Nolan’s suggestions this idea could be really beneficial to a large sum of people and quite useful. Like he said, as long as it is updated I think this could work and it doesn’t seem to hard to actually implement. Good idea!

Posted Jan 8, 2020
    xGetRekted and Im_Ken like this.
  4. Hello!

I see this idea cool enough to add since as you mentioned the most players don't check update changelogs at forums/discord, so they aren't aware of the recent changes. By doing that we will cover most playerbase, and they will know about update just after it was released.

The only what I don't like about this is how you suggested viewing them. I think just listing items which on you will hover in chest GUI to see changelog isn't good in my opinion and so inconvenient. Especially, it will look bad with long changelogs like we had for example for BH update in the last year. Such long changelog won't look good and easy for understanding.

That might be better if we will use a book UI for listing changelogs, but it will have the changes from the recent 6 months (that length is just like for RC updates). The first page of a book will be the last changelog and if you will scroll pages of a book you will see older changelogs. Each page of the book will have a brief changelog of the update and a link to check the full changelog at forums (or maybe on Discord). One MC server is using a book for showing brief changelog, so we might use it too (PM me if want to know what server uses that to see it yourself in-game).

[​IMG]
    (example how it looks like)

The only what we need to do is to post forums changelog and release an update at the same time which I believe we never did and because the changelogs were always delayed at forums/discord. If will we do that constantly after each update, it will work fine and will be great.

What's about an item to open changelogs, it can stay Paper which after clicking will open a book UI with changelogs which I believe should be possible to do, the command will do the same.
    What's about a chat alert, we can notify person only if he hasn't read the last changelog, there shouldn't be any numbers in my opinion.

I myself don't mind having chest GUI for that too for checking changelogs but with a book UI it will look better.

Overall, +1 to this idea and I hope it will be implemented in the future and will work well.

Posted Jan 8, 2020
    xGetRekted, chhase, Im_Ken and 3 others like this.
  5. Hey! Before I say anything I already notice that this thread is organised very well with screenshots given too.

This is in fact a very well thought out idea and I can't foresee anyone having any objections to it. You're right in saying that for whatever reasons, parents may not like to see their children on either platform and would rather have them enjoying their experience on the Minecraft server itself. Also, some players are simply not bothered to check the forums and Discord regularly as they view it as a platform with threads that must be responded to; profiles that must be maintained and to appeal a punishment. A lot of people do not realise that it is very easy to log on to the forum and check for the most recent updates - in fact, you don't even have to log on! It should be stressed that changelogs are available to look at on the website and Discord as much as in-game once this idea is approved (by the looks of things it seems to be favorable.)

I like the GUI that appears when you right-click the paper but a book UI also looks very appealing too, so it could be up to the developers what they decide to opt for. However, we wouldn't be able to discuss this without the screenshots you have provided, so thumbs up for the effort! It is very clearly laid out and if the changelogs are archived after 6 months from their release, then players should know to access the website if they want to view any older ones. Minor bug fixes and less important details do not always need to appear, and as I said, players should know that it is easy enough to check on other platforms if they want very specific details.

Overall this is a great idea, I’m a big fan of this and hope to witness it in action very soon! Best of luck with seeing it implemented.

Posted Jan 8, 2020
    xGetRekted likes this.
  6. I also agree that this would be nice to add! I have an add-on idea that I didn't see already mentioned. It would be nice to advertise this in chat when you log in, and I do like the idea of having a little notification. Maybe it could say something like "Click here to see our most recent changelog" and if you click "here", it could bring up the changelog in chat. After it's brought up in chat, we could have a disclaimer, "If you would like to view this changelog again, select the paper in your hotbar, or type /changelogs". This way you only have to click "here" to clear the notification so it's not too annoying or redundant for those who read changelogs elsewhere, but it'a also obvious enough that those who didn't know about the changelog system could easily access this new feature.

I really like the thoroughness of your idea and I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen it suggested previously. Good luck!

Posted Jan 8, 2020
  7. Agreeing to the following players listed above. I think this would be an amazing addition to our hotbar in the hub. I use the hotbar in the hub a lot and I am assuming other players do as well. And I completely understand that players do not use the forums as much as they should but having it in their hotbar is an easy-access way to inform the players without the hassle of checking forums.

Posted Jan 8, 2020
  8. Hello!
    I agree with this idea one hundred percent! I think this would be a great addition to both Java and Bedrock! I can see this as a convenient way for players to check the new updates/changes that have/will be made, especially if they cannot check the forums or Discord. It would also be an easier way for players who have Discord as well as the forums to check the updates/changes that are going to be implemented. I suggest a way for players to vote on the changes that should be made, so they have somewhat control over what happens, not as much as the forums or Discord would have, but enough to voice their vote, if they cannot access any online/public websites. Overall, I would love to see this implemented, as many players would be able to control what changes are made to the server. Thanks for suggesting this! +1

Posted Jan 8, 2020
  9. Woah, very thought out of you my dude! I in fact love this idea, and I could see this very useful on Bedrock! It would be a way for players without access to the forums/Discord to be able to input on ideas! However, I could see some abuse in this command. Let’s say someone really wanted something to be implemented, they could go on multiple accounts and spam the vote option, maybe there should be some sort of a limit if there is a way to vote for the option. I can also see this as messy as you stated, but that can be fixed with a little adjustment! Good suggestion! +0.25 from me!

Posted Jan 8, 2020
    xGetRekted likes this.
  10. This sounds like a very useful idea. You're completely right when you say that a lot of players don't check the forums or Discord for update information, and that's perfectly fine! This idea would give more opportunities for players who mainly stick to the server to know what's going on with everything. I agree that the GUI looks a bit messy, but I think that it's a good concept. A suggestion that I'd like to add is separating updates under different categories so that players don't have to look through every single piece of paper to find what they're looking for.

I also really like @Evgeen's suggestion of creating a book for a more smooth layout for the GUI. This would make it a little less difficult for players to actively read each updates' title instead of having to hover over each slip of paper like in the original GUI.

+1.

Posted Jan 8, 2020
    xGetRekted likes this.
  11. Honestly, I've never actually thought about this before. I'm always on the forums and on Discord, so I guess I've never had that feeling of just seeing an update pushed without being notified. However, I totally agree with this suggestion. I agree that it can be wrong of us to just assume that players will eventually find out about an update, especially since not all of them have a forums account or even Discord. I definitely don't think that it would need to be anything over-the-top or all too fancy, but I would totally love to see something with just the most recent changes, since a lot of them can be inside games or in rare situations, so many might not know that those have ever been sent out if it isn't something that happens to them daily.

Posted Jan 9, 2020
    xGetRekted likes this.
  12. This is an idea that I never really looked into before, and to be honest... I really do like it. I personally am all about making the Mineplex Network more open and available for anyone and everyone, so I really do enjoy this idea. First off, the amount of detail you put into this is absolutely incredible and it truly opens not just my eyes, but many others. Now, you stated how some people are either not super aware or are not allowed to access the Forums or Discord and therefore that is why this could be very useful. Also, in my opinion, this is just majorly convenient as well. So, I absolutely enjoy this idea and would love to see it implemented into the system someday as if will more than likely turn out incredibly useful!

Posted Jan 9, 2020
    xGetRekted likes this.
  13. i agree with this but i wouldn't want this to annoy while im fighting so could you guys make it so its not in the way of everything and wont pop up notifications or at least have the ability to disable it in /pref. Because in the third picture i think that could be an annoyance to not just myself but other players also

Posted Jan 9, 2020
  14. Hey!

I really like this idea. As someone who tries to stay on top of the changes and new releases via the forums, this would make it so much more convenient. I’m much more active in-game, and implementing this would mean that I don’t have to keep switching in between the lobby and forums while I’m playing to see new features, like I often do. Plus, this would give me another thing to do in lobby’s.

Great Idea!
    ~Nick

Posted Jan 9, 2020
    xGetRekted likes this.
  15. I really like this; this is definitely more efficient since I'd say I know around as many people who aren't inside of the Mineplex Discord and/or don't check the website, so catching them up on changes is kind of a hassle, but something like this would access the notifications of the players directly. Potentially rather than just paper to indicate the different changelogs, it could be made a little more immersive for the player to include the use of different items to correlate with the different updates better as well as a potential shard/gem reward for catching yourself up on the changes (small tweaks like that would make a huuuuge difference).

Posted Jan 9, 2020
    Johnny Welamton and xGetRekted like this.
  16. Thank you EVERYONE for your support aaahh, I'm gonna start replying to some of your suggestions now!

Yeah, that could work but it also might be confusing for players if they just wanna queue for a game. I think if it just remains alone in the item bar by itself would be good.

Rather than a /pref, I would imagine it to be laid out like the communities GUI where you can toggle it or when you want to see changelogs for specific games. Something like that would actually be really cool and I'll look into the design of that.

I'm not a fan of the design of it either, and I'm gonna look into changing it. My original approach was going to be a book and quill but I think a chest GUI might work out in the long run.

Absolutely not. If I were someone who was in the position that can't read changelogs on the forums/discord, I'd like to be told of the changes for the game as soon as they are made. I think it'd be unfair to them for others to receive information first.

I really like this idea actually, it makes more sense and is less spammy. I'll look into that when I redesign the layout for it to be easier to read.

I really like the idea of people choosing what should be worked on, but project management has their plans and I don't think they like their plans being derailed. This did happen one time where it was polled on java (in carl the creeper) where block hunt won the vote and got an update. Hopefully, we'll see something else like that in the future.

This wasn't originally for bedrock but it does honestly work both ways. I think it would be more useful on bedrock since we rarely get changelogs there.

I agree with this. The layout I have above is very hard to find a specific gamemode or a certain type of update, and I plan on changing that up soon so it isn't as messy.

This would only pop up when you log on, so it'll be out of the way of fights and everything.

I like the idea of changing the game updates/hotfixes to the game it changes. It'd make it way easier for people to find what they're looking for. I also like the idea of an incentive to check them, but I don't think it should be anything major. It is just reading up on changes after all.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I'm going to be working on the updated GUI with all of your feedback!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 9, 2020
    rqil, AtlantaTV and chhase like this.
  17. Hello,
    First off, I think this would be such a great idea! Not only would it be nice for players to catch changelogs in game in case they do not follow them on other platforms, but having them all condensed in one place could prove useful when searching for a specific change for any reason. I definitely give this idea a big +1! Now, as for the various tweaks and GUI's suggested, I would say I prefer the system described by @Dulciloquy . By having to click on the "here" it would make it easily available to those who want to see it and not tedious for those who have already seen it. I also personally prefer the look of a piece of paper in chat that leads to an inventory GUI, but that's just what appeals to me. Overall, this is a solid idea that will make it much easier for the whole player base to stay informed about what is happening to the server. Have a nice day!

Posted Jan 10, 2020
  18. Hey!!

I think this is an amazing idea for Mineplex to add! I really think that it would be nice for players to see what has changed right in-game. As mentioned by some others above, I think that the GUI system described by @Dulciloquy. Once again, great idea! This is going to be a +1 from me! :D

Have a good day.

Posted Jan 11, 2020
  19. I would love to see this added because it would allow us to see what happened to the server / games. +1

Posted Jan 11, 2020