• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Increase SSM's Max Capacity to 8

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by SummerIsFun2, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Instead of 5, I think SSM should have 8 players to let more ranked players in.

Posted Jan 20, 2020
  2. I get why you would want more players in SSM, but I'll have to disagree with this idea.

1: Too many players
    I think by adding an extra 3 people who can join the game itself would not be as fun. You get 4 lives, correct? Games would take A Lot longer by adding more players. I like how SSM is. I don't think adding more players would be the greatest benefit for the game. I like how SSM is short (ish) and it's what makes it fun, if you were to add 3 more players the game would feel crowded with all these abilities and players going around.

2: Maps
    If this were to be implemented, I feel like the maps would have to be increased in size. Why I think this? Well, for example you want somewhat some room to move around freely and run away/hide. If there would be 8 players max in a game they would have to start increasing map size in my opinion to make it fit the gamemode. As of now maps are mainly made for the max of 6 players (teams), 7 if you glitch. Even then they feel a little crowded imo. (in my opinion)

These are my reasons why I don't think the player size should be increased. I do want to mention I don't play SSM a lot so my feedback isn't the best, but just overall I think this shouldn't be implemented for the reasons I stated above. -1

Posted Jan 20, 2020
    Task, kctie1234, saltyfishhy and 2 others like this.
  3. as said above, maps would become bigger, which isn't a huge problem imo, but games would take FOREVER. i've encountered 20+ minutes long games just with 4 people, i can just imagine 8.
    also, i feel like it would just disrupt the normal flow of the game, since SSM has been around forever and the 4 player count is almost like tradition.
    because of these reasons, i'll be giving this a -1 now. thanks for your input though~

Posted Jan 20, 2020
    SummerIsFun2 likes this.
  4. Personally, besides the matches taking longer, and maps not being large enough, I also feel like it would constantly feel crowded. Plus with the constant usage of abilities, and entities it would probably lag a few people out of the game as well. Imagine a lobby full of snowmen and what'd that do to somebody's work computer.

Posted Jan 20, 2020
  5. Yeah, too many people in one place won't really work out. Apart from it being crowded and the maps not being large enough to withstand 8 players, I can really see a lot of problems in terms of moderation. People may be more inclined to team with each other, leading to more punishments and it would be a disaster on the maps. Besides, you already have access to SSM in the MPS, and from my experience, lots of SSM players can lag out people who probably don't have the best system. Also with the games stretching out, it may get a little repetitive for existing players and making it feel less exciting instead of having that short and quick-paced gameplay that many SSM players enjoy. It really isn't something that is needed for SSM as the player cap is perfectly fine how it currently is. Thanks for your idea.

Posted Jan 20, 2020
  6. Heyo!

I don't think this will work at all. To start, this would make the games take longer than normal since each player has four lives and that means games will take way longer than normal and queues will take longer for people since there's more players for each lobby and the player count for Super Smash Mobs isn't the highest. Another reason is the maps would almost feel too small to play on. The build team would have to change the map guidelines and remove maps that feel too small which would take some work and the build team would also have to make some new ones which are up the SSM guidelines standards.

~Cheers!
    -spikecreates

Posted Jan 20, 2020
  7. I'd disagree with this normally, but having a separate mode with 8 players would work, because people who prefer the longer games could decide to play that mode instead of the classic 4 player mode.

Posted Jan 20, 2020
  8. I don't think that this idea would work well. The reasons I think this are basically the same as everyone else. I think that adding 3 players would make the map feel crowded. Honestly, go to an SSM map and imagine that +3 more people. You could argue that it would still work out, but again, if it works it would still be crowded. Players could get more easily sandwiched between other people fighting, or easily cleaned because of how many more players there are. To get a better picture, imagine you are in a game and you are being chased, running through 2 other people would normally work fine, but add 3 and you'd basically just get hit back and fourth. This just isn't really as enjoyable, being there would be so much risk of a giant mosh-pit in such a small map. Secondly I'd call attention to the length of the game. Like everyone else has said, each player has four lives. It would take much longer to finish a game. To add to @iiSpecter 's idea, I think if there was a separate version with 8 players it could work, but if each player only had two lives. Just to keep the game as fast as possible. Although I don't think this idea will work, thank you for suggesting this idea!

Posted Jan 20, 2020
  9. SSM as it is now is a game largely based off of strategic combat through the use of the abilities the game provides you with. It is a strategy to run around spamming your abilities hoping for the best, but ultimately in order to do good in the game, you must learn how to use these abilities in a balanced fashion. That being said, with 8 potential players in a game it feels like what is supposed to be a strategy game would turn into a "let's spam my abilities on whoever is closer and see what happens." I believe this because if there were a lot of people in the game you wouldn't have the time to plan and focus on your next move with the current maps. The maps, as they are now, are specifically designed for a game of 4 players, meaning that they would be too small to support a size of 8 players.

With these things in mind, games would feel cramped and players wouldn't be given the time they need to make accurate decisions when fighting. Games would feel luck-based and wouldn't feel so much like SSM anymore. I feel like increasing the cap would be a sure way to drive the SSM community away from the game.

Additionally, games of SSM with large amounts of players is a unique thing to events and player servers. Events commonly play games of SSM which in that certain setting can be quite fun, and player servers have no cap for the amount of players you can have. If this were to be a full-time thing, these rare occurrences would be a lot less fun and it would drive some people away from taking part in this potentially.

Considering all of these things, I think it is currently best not to make this change. It'll be a -1 from me.

Posted Jan 20, 2020
  10. Hey there!

I can't say I agree with this. One main point that has been made is the fact that the SSM maps would need to be revamped and new maps would need to be made if we did this, because the maps would just be too small for 8 players at one time.

Another reason that has already been stated is that the game would just take too long with 8 players. 4 player games already have a decently lengthed time, so adding an additional 4 players would make the game unplayable for players who want that shorter gamemode and find it enjoyable to not have to pay attention to so many players at once.

I can see the reasoning for you wanting this, because some people may like those largely-sized gamemodes, but I don't think it would work out as a public game. You can always play in an MPS with as many people as you want if you really crave that large game of SSM.

Posted Jan 20, 2020
  11. Hello!

I personally feel like this is completely unnecessary and I think that four players per game are perfectly fine. There are multiple reasons why I don't think this should be implemented including overcrowding, longer games, and games filling up much slower than usual.

Firstly, as other people have mentioned, the current maps are designed to fit only four players. Making the max capacity as eight will make games way too overcrowded and the games will become hectic with people dying left right and centre. I feel like this would take away from the enjoyment of the game and cause people to stop playing the game unless new, upgraded maps were implemented which I feel is unnecessary.

Setting the maximum capacity at eight will also cause longer and more tedious games. I personally like SSM because most games are short and sweet for short-lasting entertainment without having to commit to a potentially longer and more difficult game. However, I feel if eight people were allowed into one game it would make the games longer and more tedious, again, taking away from the enjoyment of the game.

Lastly, increasing the maximum capacity of games will make the games fill up much slower than usual. Currently, I've found that having the maximum capacity of SSM set so low makes the games fill up very quickly, shortening waiting times. This is a great aspect of SSM, as with most other games you have to queue for a long time and it can get very tiresome. If eight people were allowed into the game it would lengthen queuing times and it will take away from the short and fun atmosphere of the game.

Overall, I'm going to have to give this idea a -1, thanks for the suggestion though!

Posted Jan 20, 2020
  12. Hi there!

As everyone said might as well addon!

I don't agree with idea.

As an SSM player myself some of the maps are already super small and if you were to add 4 more people to that! it would make the map have almost no where to hide no wonder to regen no where to go. This would cause the build team to take more time to build bigger maps for a game that doesn't require this big of maps causing the build team to change everything for SSM as @spikecreates stated.

This game also has a certain touch to work with your abilities strategically and if you were constantly spamming them because there's going to be a person around you almost all the time it would make kits pointless especially with a bow.

This would also cause games to take way longer to start up, think about it 8 people in 1 game that could have been spilt into 2 separate games instead of making it 1 game with 8 people, it just wouldn't work and could cause way to much more time for people to get in games.

Simply I just don't agree with this idea overall so I'm giving it a -1 Thanks for hearing me out!

Good luck on the rest of your suggestions!

Posted Jan 21, 2020
    spikecreates likes this.
  13. I think that having 8 players will be total chaos especially in the smaller maps. It wont be a fair fight and the only way to stand a chance would be to hide or to camp.

Posted Jan 21, 2020
  14. Hey! I currently think SSM is fine. If the capacity was changed to any higher everything wouldn't work in my opinion. The games would last for a while, SSM does usually last for a long time with the current capacity so increasing it would make it much longer. Also, as mentioned a few times before the maps would be an issue. Currently, the maps for SSM are fine but if capacity was increased then the map sizes would need to be increased as well. I also think the games would be too messy. Imagine people coming at you in different directions with all sorts of abilities. I have one other issue. The lag, like already mentioned different abilities, constantly being hit at you would be messy and chaotic but it would be extremely lagging.

If you do want to play SSM with more people you could do an MPS. In an MPS you can do more than 4 people for SSM. This way you can play SSM with as many people as you'd like. You can create an MPS by doing /mps in-game (Note: You need to be a LEGEND or above to do that command).

So, I don't think the capacity should be changed any time soon.

Posted Jan 22, 2020