• 1801 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 1801 Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Iron Swords vs Gold Swords

Discussion in 'Survival Games' started by Aaronn03, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Hey!

I just want to clarify something that most of you probably don't think about. The following is going to display what is better: Iron or Gold.

Iron Sword
    - 6 damage
    - 9 damage critical hit
    - Low chance for Sharpness 2
    - Slightly more common

Gold Sword
    - 6 damage
    - 8 damage critical hit
    - Higher chance for Sharpness 2
    - Slightly rarer

Now, I'm just going to explain why Gold Swords have lower critical hit damage. Gold Swords have been modified to deal 6 damage, but due to a bug, the critical damage wasn't changed so it's still only +2 (The vanilla value) instead of +3 and as a result in situations like trading hits the guy with the iron sword will deal more damage. I'll admit I haven't exactly tested this in Survival Games, but I'm 90% sure that this is the case because it's the case in other games like Halloween Havoc which use the same combat system. I consider both of these materials to be as good as each other because while Iron Swords can deal more damage, the ability to get Sharpness 2 more often is too valuable and the rarities don't really matter because they hardly make a difference. Iron Ingots are technically more common because they can be found in furnaces but as I said it doesn't matter.

In the future I'm going to try and make it so Gold Ingots can be found in furnaces to balance the rarities but I'm not sure if it would be best to fix the critical hits because it makes the two swords unique and it would also make the gold sword undeniably better.

If you found this information useful leave a like and if you have any questions/concerns leave a comment below so I can respond!

Posted Oct 18, 2020
    zFlqre, JREric, Da_One and 5 others like this.
  2. Wow! What an interesting thread to read through. I definitely did not know the difference in sword use and often wondered why I saw players using gold swords, as I thought that gold was equivalent to wooden sword damage (as I think it is in vanilla?).

I'll definitely find myself crafting and using gold swords more as a result of this thread and information.

I love reading through your threads all the time as they're always insightful and informative to all with great detail and accuracy for information I feel. Keep up the great work! I look forward to reading through all of your future threads as well :)

~Hubble

Posted Oct 19, 2020
    Minevaft, Amg_ and Aaronn03 like this.
  3. Hey Boss! I can most definitely agree with Hubble here. I enjoy reading all of your threads because they’re always very well written, super insightful and never fail to include quality detail. I’ve been playing SG for years and I could’ve never lined out the damage difference between an Iron and Gold sword. I’ve always known that Gold could slightly be equivalent or better than Iron depending if you got sharp two or not, but I didn’t know the exact statistics. Do you remember when Gold swords had the change slim chance of getting fire? I always thought that was cool, but I can also understand why they removed it. (It’s too OP) Anyway, this was a super interesting thread to read and I enjoyed looking at the exact statistics between the two weapons. I look forward to more of your threads because they’re always great! Keep up the great work G

Posted Oct 19, 2020
    Hubble and Aaronn03 like this.
  4. Gold Swords always had the highest chance of getting Fire Aspect because it's enchantability was the highest by far out of every material.

Enchantability
    Iron: 9
    Gold: 22 (25 for armor)

Higher=Better

A link to enchantability stats for all materials: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Enchanting_mechanics#Enchantability

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 19, 2020
    DerpDerpie and Amg_ like this.
  5. I like it!

Posted Oct 21, 2020
    Aaronn03 likes this.
  6. I always stick to Iron!

Posted Oct 25, 2020
    Aaronn03 likes this.