• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Is Squid too OP?

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by PewDiePizza, Jan 13, 2020.

Tags:
?

On a scale of 1-5; 1 is the least powerful, 5 is the most powerful

1. 5 (wolf)

2. 4

3. 3

4. 2

5. 1 (suc)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I don't think that squid is OP. I've ran into other people who said it was really too powerful, though, but I think they're wrong. I think that squid is reasonably balanced, even though ink shotgun is inconsistent and fish flurry is unreliable. If you know that I'm a squid main, then you might think this is a little biased, but I didn't think that squid was too powerful even before I started maining it. I never really had issues dealing with most squids, so I don't think that they're OP even when I don't use squid. But as said before, some other people said that squid is too powerful, but maybe I'm just too good of a player for them. What do you guys think?

Posted Jan 13, 2020
    Ender Rivka likes this.
  2. It's good at low level play, but can be easily taken out by any one experienced in the game. Squid is a noob-slayer kit, like chicken.

Posted Jan 13, 2020
    PewDiePizza likes this.
  3. Squid is perfectly balanced IMO. If you try to use a kit that you think is OP and then repeatedly die, that's because it has a high skill ceiling. (e.g. Chicken and Spider, both kits that seem terrible when you first start using them but are incredible after you practice a bit)

Squid has a decently high skill ceiling, but is also easy to use for newer players.

Posted Jan 13, 2020
    PewDiePizza likes this.
  4. Actually, Squid is one of the worst SSM kits. If you were to look at tier lists it usually lands somewhere between D and E. Interestingly, the free ones end up being the ones at the top so those are the best ones to use if you're against good players.

Posted Jan 13, 2020
    PewDiePizza and _Gorgonite like this.
  5. I'm a noob at SSM, but when I do occasionally play I will use the squid kid. I don't think it's very OP - I just think it's a beginner kit. The kit abilities don't really require an awful lot of skill to apply and therefore they aren't really that difficult to master. That being said, the kit is by no means OP - I would more say that skeleton horse is more on the verge of OP due to high damage abilities and such.​

Posted Jan 13, 2020
    PewDiePizza likes this.
  6. Heyo!

I don't think it's an OP kit at all, it's arguably one of the least OP in my opinion. I can understand why some may think it is and that's mainly because the Fish Flurry can be hard to doge at times. And as @_Gorgonite said, I think Chicken and Spider are extremely OP. From playing with @xOeuf who mains Spider, I can for sure comment on how OP that kit is. Anyways, I don't really have a problem with squid myself and I'd say it's a fairly mellow kit.

Posted Jan 13, 2020
    PewDiePizza and xOeuf like this.
  7. As an avid Squid user, I would agree that it isn’t too OP at all. It is definitely good against kits that are small and or like to camp such as chicken, wolf, and Skeleton. The super squid ability really allows for fluid movement that can duke out a wolf and can reach higher places that chickens and skeletons usually like to be.

It’s also a weak kit in the sense that it’s melee damage and ink shotgun damage is on the minimal side. In a pvp match, Squid is certainly at a disadvantage. But an effective use of the super squid ability can really help to run circles around an opponent.

Squid is also extremely effective against skeletal horse as the super squid ability can bypass both of the abilities without taking the damage or knock back. Since skeletal horse has a bigger hit box, the squid kit matches well and can often times, overpower it.

I would say Squid is weakest to creeper, cow and guardian as each melee ability for the squid triggers the lightning shield on the creeper which makes it impossible to melee them after, cow because it’s defence is a lot higher and guardian because the kit functions on pvp and close combat.

In sum, I think it’s balanced the way it is. It can be very effective against some kits while being weak to others. At the end of the day however, it all depends on how you use the kit and who your opponents are.

Posted Jan 13, 2020
  8. It's slightly below average but I use it sometimes to counter skeletal horse or pig which have good matchups against snowman and spider

Posted Jan 13, 2020
    PewDiePizza likes this.
  9. Squid is pretty weak in my opinion. It used to be up there, but now it's not great at all. Decent cooldown times don't make it as competitive as other kits, but what does put it at an edge is "Super Squid". I'd say it's definitely around B-C tier in my books because a very experienced squid player can do well with it, while most players just don't see the actual value of using it at all.
    As our main man @Sven so kindly put, squid is fairly balanced. It stands in a middle ground between other kits; acting as a good counter to melee kits, while suffering against some of the ranged kits. I use squid sometimes as well, mostly against blazes and pigs to avoid damage and knockback due to the invincibility, but would definitely not choose it over kits such as creeper or spider.

Posted Jan 13, 2020
    PewDiePizza and saltyfishhy like this.
  10. squid is fun

Posted Jan 13, 2020
    PewDiePizza likes this.
  11. So to summarise: NO.

Posted Jan 14, 2020
    Xukuwu, PewDiePizza and xOeuf like this.
  12. Heyo!
    In my opinion, squid is fine. I wouldn't rate it 1 or 2 as they're too bad, or 4 or 5 (wolf level) because it isn't wolf , so 3 should hit the sweet spot. It is definitely balanced and I still use it. There isn't reason to change or tweak anything in the kit.
    Cheers!
    ~Sean

Posted Jan 14, 2020
    PewDiePizza likes this.
  13. @Sven I bet squid is a lot better when you're a sr.mod that teams in solos ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Jan 14, 2020
  14. Im not sure that being staff improves your skills

Posted Jan 14, 2020
  15. Well, yes and no. The free kits are really good, but you need to get some practice with them in order for them to be so. Like I never use spider, if I played a game with it I would surely get my butt handed to me.

Posted Jan 14, 2020
  16. If you have proof of this, feel free to report it to my supervisor who can be found here: https://www.mineplex.com/toki/ or submit a ticket at Mineplex.com/tickets instead of spreading baseless accusations of me breaking the same rules I help enforce.

Posted Jan 14, 2020
    xOeuf likes this.
  17. I'd rather just call you out when I see you in game so you target me again and rq

Posted Jan 14, 2020
  18. I main guardian now, but I used to play squid pretty hardcore for the majority of my playtime between 4 and 5k wins. None of it's abilities are particularly high damaging on their own- besides fish flurry, and that is a rather difficult move to use consistently. What squid excels at though, is it survivability and diversity.

It has 3 moves rather than 2, all of which can be utilized in creative ways, and compliment each other very well. Super squid is arguably the best recovery move, and can be used to close distances for melee combos, Ink shotgun whilst not a terribly damaging move more than makes up for it with low cool downs and considerable knockback, and fish flurry is great for baiting enemies, attacking groups of players, or applying pressure if you need to escape a sticky situation.

All in all, it's a very balanced kit that new players can have fun with, but also lets skilled players advance with practice. If anything could be considered op about it, I would say that fish flurry regenerates a tad too quickly for how much utility it offers, but that's a very minor deduction.

Posted Jan 14, 2020
    PewDiePizza likes this.
  19. @MCgamer1175 I do hope you understand that this really just makes you look lazy and toxic. If you want to do something productive for anyone this really isn't it.

Posted Jan 14, 2020
  20. Heyo! Personally I don't run into squid kits that often but in my opinion squid kit is fairly weak but it always depends on the user. again I don't know much about squid kit but I think its not too good.

Posted Jan 14, 2020
    PewDiePizza likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.