• 920 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3499 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Lava Survival

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by AimIsMyName, Dec 9, 2019.

1. LAVA SURVIVAL

A while back there was a German Minecraft server with the ip funville.eu. This server was most well known for its version of the game Lava Survival. This was and probably would be my favorite game, except the server shutdown multiple years ago. I've been waiting and there hasn't really been any revivals of this game. I thought, since no other servers have it and its a really fun game, why not bring it to Mineplex? I have a link to a video of someone playing this game if you would like to see it in action. Not all mechanics are shown in the video, sorry. This YouTuber has plenty of other videos on this game, aswell, if you would like to watch them.

OVERVIEW:

Players are teleported in to a map. They are given a block and they have an infinite amount. This block starts as wood but can be upgraded (I'll get to the upgrades later). After 60 seconds of roaming around the map or building, a block of lava will spawn in a random location. This block of lava will slowly expand until it fills the entire map. The last person to be killed wins the entire game. All players get coins for playing, but the winner will get more. These coins can be used in the shop to buy upgrades.

Players are unable to punch other players unless they buy an upgrade. All blocks in the map can be broken unless someone who placed a block has a specific upgrade or you are trying to break a block outside of the map, of course. Placing blocks will not stop the lava. Blocks are rather a way to build high up in the map or to try and block other players out of the area you want to be in. Also, there is a build height limit if no ceiling and fall damage.

UPGRADES:

Unfortunately, as its been many years, I do not recall ALL of the upgrades. This, and honestly the entire game, can be changed by the developers as they see fit.

-Blocks: Players can buy different blocks such as quartz, wool, obsidian, etc.. Only 1 block can be equipped at a time.

-Unbreakable: This is a very expensive upgrade that makes it so other players can't break your blocks.

-Pickaxe: Anyone with this upgrade will be given a pickaxe at the beginning of the game along with their chosen block. This tool would most likely be upgrade-able (stone, iron, diamond, etc.).

-Special blocks: Special blocks would include torches and signs. These would be able to be equipped along side of your other block. These don't have much function other than lighting up areas or making a fun message.

-Punching: This allows you to punch other players.

-No fall damage: Falling from a high place will not withdraw any health with this upgrade. If this is too OP, a backup plan would be feather falling boots where you would still take damage, but not as much.

DISCLAIMER:

Everything I have said here is subject to change and I do not expect everything to be the exact same as I stated here. My main concern is that this game is revived and re-added for people to enjoy. Again, if you would like to see this game live in action, here is an old video on the original server:
    There are more videos on his and his friends' channel. I DO NOT TAKE ANY CREDIT FOR THIS IDEA! I'm simply giving the suggestion to add a previously existing game to this server. Thank you for reading!

Posted Dec 9, 2019,
    Last edited Dec 10, 2019
  2. Doesn't this remove the incentive to buy the upgrade in the first place? I know that if I was playing this game, I would never buy this upgrade. Instead, I'd wait for someone to punch me, and if everyone thinks like me, then no-one will buy the upgrade.

Other than that, I don't have many issues with this, but I guess we'll wait until someone else gives their opinion.

Posted Dec 10, 2019
  3. Heo!
    So I think this game could be a really good addition to Mineplex, and since the server shutdown, we can't get sued for copyright so that's a WIN-WIN. As @KerbalBoy stated above, the whole upgrade thing wouldn't be too balanced. So I'm currently feelin' a +0.5
    Ta Ta,
    Gardevoir

Posted Dec 10, 2019
  4. I’m not exactly sure what to think of this game. Sure, it’s another server’s idea, and while normally I’d say no to that, it technically isn’t copyrighted, so we’d be OK to add that. And as @KerbalBoy stated, I think they tried to be a little too fair with this game. I mean, an upgrade that you don’t even need? What’s the point of that? There would also have to be an ensured way that players couldn’t get entirely out of the map. I mean, what happens if they break out of the map? I’d like to take to account what the old server did about this (if it occurred or if they had dealt with it). I have other minor complaints about this, but I won’t list them. Unless I think of major other reasons. Overall, the game sounds like it could work with slight modifications. But in the end I’d have to give it a -0.5.

Posted Dec 10, 2019
    xGetRektedx likes this.
  5. Thanks for the suggestion! I changed it now. I'm not the best at designing games so I was just trying to recall what the old game did.
    --- Post updated ---
    At least in the old game, there were 2 types of maps. Open and closed. In the open map you could see the sky. In the closed maps you were completely trapped in from every angle.

OPEN MAPS:
    On the maps where there weren't necessarily walls keeping you in, there was an invisible barrier that you could not pass (before this was done with a plugin but now there are barrier blocks which should do the trick).

CLOSED MAPS:
    Keeping players inside of closed maps is very easy. The easiest way is to just place bedrock all around the map where you want the borders to be. Another way is to use world edit or some other plugin to make it so blocks become unbreakable at a certain point.

I also changed my original post so that the punch upgrade isn't useless anymore. I hope I've settled your concerns. Thanks for the feedback!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 10, 2019
    LT Tombstone 77 and KerbalBoy like this.
  6. Ok, so the general idea of this game was from a German server that shut down? There is a lot wrong in what you have just stated. Firstly, it would be taking the server’s idea and stealing it from them. Secondly, Mineplex would have to change a lot to be able to add it, because of copyright issues. And third, Mineplex would look bad taking someone else’s ideas. Also, Mineplex technically already has a survival, even if it’s not lava survival. I cannot see myself playing this game, sorry.
    xGetRekted

Posted Dec 11, 2019
  7. Hm, to like or to not like this? Well, maybe my opinion shouldn’t count since I haven’t really been playing Mineplex, just other Bedrock servers. I’ve noticed a lack of new games in the server, and more of just the same games or modified ones. However, I’m still going to input my opinion. I think this could work to attract players since it’s kind of different. I’d definitely like to give it a try though!
    For now, I’d rate it a +0.5.

Posted Dec 11, 2019
  8. This game concept seems quite cool. Though I'm not too sure if this should be released as a full-scale game. I'm thinking that this would fit more on the nano-game side. Doing that would mean that the lava would have to close in much more quickly, but also allows that sense of urgency and rush to use up those blocks to protect themselves. Not too sure about the infinite blocks, but I'd think that even adding 32 or 64 would be quite enough. Honestly, as I said, it would be much better suited to something like nano, so having kits and upgrades aren't really needed. As for people saying copyright is an issue, it really isn't. We see servers/communities copying games all the time and adding their own twist on it, but I haven't really seen this game specifically. A question that I have, is how big will the maps be? This is very important as we need to ensure that players can move around and that it isn't too clustered. I wouldn't mind this on the server, though this is a really simple, so I don't have too much to say. Thanks for your suggestion!

Posted Dec 12, 2019
  9. This game does seem like its really cool and I can see maybe some other players enjoying this game as well but I'm sure that the hype of the game would die down very quickly and the game would become pointless, I like where you're going with this but I don't think that this is the best addition to Mineplex. As said I will be giving this a -1.

Good luck on the rest of your suggestions!

Posted Dec 13, 2019
  10. Actually, the version on the German server was based off of a minecraft classic gamemode. It is not the original. However, this version is my favorite. Also there are no copyright issues as the server has shutdown and it wasn't their original idea to begin with. You say Mineplex would look bad taking someone else's ideas but cake wars is like the most popular game on Mineplex right now and its a completely stolen idea.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 13, 2019