• 363 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 7367 Players Online
  • 7004 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Make It Easier to Ban Floaters

Discussion in 'Dragons' started by nico, Jul 23, 2020.

1. The Problem:
    Floating in Dragons, while not the biggest of issues, is still a large annoyance and the way to do it is known by most players and can be applied to anyone on any version. Currently, floaters in Dragons are only able to be banned if they use an ability after floating which rarely happens. This allows many players (who have less than 100 ping) to be able to freeze without any consequence.

The Solution:
    If a player is caught floating with reasonable ping multiple times it should be classified as a Gameplay Trolling punishment and can lead to a permanent ban on the third offence. This will scare many players from freezing multiple times to boost the wins on their account as opposed to playing legitimately.

Posted Jul 23, 2020
    FuzzyJunior and mcckaay like this.
  2. Wouldn't be against that honestly, but at the same time idk about a Perm ban on the 3rd offence, if it's gameplay trolling the time will continuously increase as the punishments do, presuming it's a Sev 1 so I doubt it'd go to a perm ban particularly quick, but not a bad idea

In theory if it'd be a perm ban, idk if it'd be gameplay trolling specifically

Posted Jul 23, 2020
  3. Heyyo~

I completely understand the frustration with "floaters", since they can appear in almost any game which requires not falling into the void. However, I do think it would be rather hard to determine if it is really on their side or bad ping.

First, a staff member would need a have a mod/texture pack to be able to view a player's ping; which isn't something that is required as staff. That would make the use of staff essentially useless in this specific situation. Now if they did have this to view ping, I think its rather inconsistent, since the change of ping can be delayed or even wrong at times. For that reason, the use of the kit is needed in order to ban and ensure that they aren't lagging with bad ping.
    Second, I'm honestly not sure how GWEN works in these situations, but it does take ping into account when it bans a player. I'm not sure if this could be implemented to GWEN, but hey, who knows!
    Third, it would lead to some unnecessary false bans and in general is something hard to punish.

My idea isn't that innovative, but I just want to put in my thoughts which is a lower AFK time in games such as these. Another way with being movement plug-ins, however; these may cause problems on other areas of the server.

Overall, of course, I think "floaters" should be handled, if they are doing it purposefully. However, it would be inconvenient if the staff member doesn't have the ability to view the ping of that so-called player and in-turn be hard to punish for. Especially if GWEN doesn't have the ability to take action as well.

Posted Jul 23, 2020
  4. This would be currently punishable. If a player freezes themselves in the void and then uses an ability to get themselves back up, then any staff member can ban them for Bug Exploitation. However, if players do not use abilities to get themselves back up, it can be punishable by the RC (Rules Committee) subteam if they do it multiple times with clear intention that they are using it to their advantage, as players could be lagging. If you get multiple instances of a player doing this, feel free to create a report at www.mineplex.com/reports and a member of the RP subteam can forward it to a member of the RC subteam.

Posted Jul 23, 2020
  5. Hello,

Game Insights currently has a proposed idea to help alleviate the issue of floating. This isn't directly in relation to what your thread is about, but it still pertains to floating.

Here is what is currently listed on the Dragons Update Proposal Document:

• Anti-lag and freeze system, where not touching the ground makes the user lose hunger.

• After 10 seconds without touching the ground, your hunger reaches 0.

• Instant death when hunger reaches 0.

• Hunger is instantly replenished upon touching the ground again.

• Cobwebs will count as ground as well.

Basically, people will instantly die if they don't touch the ground after 10 seconds of being in air. Will this end floating? Not at all. However, it should prevent people from floating for an excessive amount of time.

Posted Jul 23, 2020
    elijahwho, 00PT and Xukuwu like this.
  6. Hey!

I agree that something needs to be done with this, as it gives an unfair advantage to the floater. Dragons isn't the only game where this is a problem, as I've seen floaters in many NANO games like color swap, runner, micro battle, and more. As SomeRqndomName said, I feel like a perm ban on the 3rd offense is a little too much. I would personally do a perm ban after the 5th or 6th offense. I'm honestly a little surprised there isn't something more being done to handle people like these. I guess it's too hard to tell if they're doing it on purpose or accident. I know there have been ideas similar to this, but I'll give it a +1. Thanks for sharing!

Posted Jul 23, 2020
  7. The best response came from Vytas here. There doesn't need to be any rule changes when it comes to floating as they can be punished regardless of ability use and ping (since it's quite clear when someone is freezing over lagging) by members of the RC team. All you need is a few seconds of evidence to be submitted as a report or sending me a quick message on discord, which you can find on my profile under the information tag.

Thanks for creating the thread and everyone's responses. If you need anything feel free to message me.

Posted Jul 23, 2020
    Paladise, UCYT5040 and xSebbie like this.
  8. I comepletly agree with this. As I always have around 30 ping (if I'm not using my alt in the small game) I have experienced this alot. I have never won with this glitch but I know how to easily exploit it and that's an issue. I think the solution should not be a permanent ban for doing this. But maybe a month ban. I have seen exploiters win with this god dang annoying glitch and I would love.if it got patched.

Posted Aug 21, 2020