• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Make it snow periodically in the lobby

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Snowing_, Dec 17, 2019.

1. I noticed that in other servers I checked that there is a command to make it snow if you want to, and I think Mineplex should do this too. But maybe instead of a command just make it snow every once in a while in the lobby for a certain amount of time, and then make it stop like real snow? You can disable the option to see the snow in /prefs, so that you get to choose. I think this would be fun and would make the Holiday spirit better. [​IMG]

edit: maybe have a little stick to the ground too? and it'll melt away before the next "storm". (although that'd look weird if you have snow off)

Posted Dec 17, 2019,
    Last edited Dec 18, 2019
  2. +1 but it shouldn't melt

Posted Dec 18, 2019
    Snowing_ likes this.
  3. Sounds like a good idea to me, except some players who don’t have a good performance on their PC or their internet. I love snow so much and I ever got to see the snow three times in my life. I’m not a developer, and I don’t know how does this concept work like that. Maybe seeing the snow for yourself in-game will encourage them more. They’re welcome to enable or disable the feature.

Overall, I’m going have to agree with this idea. +1

Posted Dec 18, 2019
  4. I like this idea, I think it would be fun to have in the lobby.
    I like the idea that the snow would stick. It would make the lobby have a winter feel to it. The only thing is it would have to be disabled near the staff build area, parkours, etc so it doesn’t interfere with anything.
    Good idea to have the option to disable it in /prefs. It could get annoying for some people and it may cause lag, so this would be a nice feature. My only question is how long would the snow stick before melting?
    Nice idea overall!

Posted Dec 18, 2019
    Snowing_ likes this.
  5. I also like this idea! :)
    This idea sounds like something I think a lot of other players would enjoy as it would add more Christmas feel to the server. And for those who don't have the best computers would be great if they could disable it in /prefs
    I like this idea and I would like to see it added! +1

Good luck on the rest of your suggestions

Posted Dec 18, 2019
    Snowing_ likes this.
  6. Hey!

Personally this sounds like a pretty cool idea, and I would actually really like to see it on Mineplex. I think it'd be a way to make the Christmas lobby feel even more like Christmas. The only issue I do see with this being implemented is the lag it may cause players. I personally do not get good fps already, and if a whole lobby is snowing, I can imagine it would cause quite a lot of lag. This wouldn't be such a big issue with the option to toggle it in /prefs or if snow is turned off in your settings, but 1) it's that extra step and 2) not everyone will know what /prefs is and how to disable it. I do like how it would only snow periodically though, this means the lag wouldn't last forever. Overall, I'm definitely all for giving this a go, but we should also consider the lag that could arise.

Posted Dec 18, 2019
    Snowing_ likes this.
  7. That would be so cool to see snow. Everyone above is correct about snow lagging lower end devices but there’s a way to fix that. Make the snow just snow particles. These would look a lot like real snow. To further prevent lag, keep the particles in place (not affected by gravity) while allowing them to spin. This would not be to hard to implement because it could be a cosmetic. You can throw a piece of ice called a storm maker which summons these particles in the lobby. You can even have it where the cosmetic must be purchased on the Mineplex store. What would be even cooler is having it be the reward for finding all the presents in the lobby. Even though this is a limited time cosmetic I believe many people will enjoy it. Hope my ideas help, by way I can even help implement it if you want.

Posted Dec 18, 2019
    Snowing_ likes this.
  8. I really like this idea! It's a small little change that would it feel more like a winter event to me besides having Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas Is You playing in the background, which, don't get me wrong, is still amazing every time I hear it. I also like the idea of it being able to be turned off in /prefs, as that would make it so that player can choose wether they want to see it or not.

However, as with anything, I just see a few downsides. Some lower-end devices might lag a bit more, but since it can be disabled in /prefs, that is not too much of an issue at all. My bigger concern is that the event is almost ever (i.e., it's almost Christmas!), so I do not know if we would be able to get all of this in, tested, and pushed out within such a short amount of time. If we're able to do it, I'd say sure, but I don't think we should prioritize it over other updates since it is such a small thing.

Posted Dec 18, 2019
    BasicT, Snowing_ and spikecreates like this.
  9. This is a good idea, but devs might not be able to pull it off in time. I think this should be a thing next year.

Posted Dec 18, 2019
    Snowing_ likes this.
  10. Heyo!

I love this idea! This would be a great QoL change and I think it would be super cool and give people the wintery feel, makes it feel like real life. I really like that it would also be a preference for those players with maybe older computers or bad internet who can't handle that sort of stuff or for players who just don't want it. I really like this idea! +1

~Cheers!
    -spikecreates

Posted Dec 18, 2019
    Snowing_ likes this.
  11. @spikecreates and @jxcb up above I listed solutions to prevent lag on lower end devices with the snow. That way it still can be implemented.

Posted Dec 18, 2019
  12. I really love this idea. I was playing Master Builders the other day and toggled the snow setting for my build. I've forgotten how peaceful and beautiful the snow in Minecraft is, and it definitely helps to set that holiday mood. While I know that the snow could potentially cause people to experience lag, I like the idea of being able to toggle it off in /prefs.
    I love your use of the word "storm". I feel like adding this periodic aspect of snow would give some sort of "winter weather" effect to the Mineplex lobby. Sometimes games can feel very stagnant with their use of weather and climate. I really like this idea as a constant snowfall would be way too overwhelming and would ultimately lead to most players permanently keeping this feature toggled off in /prefs.

Really awesome idea! +1.

edit: also it fits perfectly with your username! Love it!

Posted Dec 18, 2019
    Snowing_ likes this.
  13. I agree it sounds like fun @fredericksburg and I also gave some ideas of how to prevent snow lag on lower end devices up above.

Posted Dec 18, 2019
  14. Hello!

I absolutely love this idea created by yourself! I thin kt that snow would be a great addition to the Christmas lobby while we still have it. I think players would love the feel to it, and would appreciate the Christmas spirit!

Even though lag could become an issue. Maybe there could be more preferences than just snow being on and off. What if there was a an option for no snow, small amount of snow, and normal amount of snow. In this case, if a player did not want snow. Then they would have the option for no snow. If a player did want snow, and they do not have a problem with lag. Then they might want a normal amount of snow. However, if a player really wants snow, but their computer could not handle it. Then maybe a small amount of snow would be a safe bet for them. To fix the timing problem. Maybe instead of randomly snowing. It could snow during certain songs since this is an addition as well. Just a little way to change things up could simply happen because of these few modifications!

Overall, I think this is a fantastic idea, and hope that it could possible still be implemented while we still have the chance to have the Christmas lobby! I hope some of my modifications helped, and will be giving this idea a +1!

Posted Dec 18, 2019
    M4RK7000 and Snowing_ like this.
  15. sounds like a cool idea :D
    maybe make it every 20 mins?

Posted Dec 19, 2019
  16. That could work @ddgolfer04 but would be even harder to implement where each person could choose snow particles or not. That would go well with my idea though (listed up above).

Posted Dec 19, 2019
  17. Hey! This seems like an excellent idea and would give the lobby are more "Christmas" feel to it. Also, I like the idea of players being able to toggle this on/off with /prefs. This does seem like a pretty cool idea to implement maybe next year. +1

Posted Dec 20, 2019
    M4RK7000 likes this.
  18. agreed, maybe we shouldn’t make it snow this late, especially with Christmas coming in only a few days

Posted Dec 21, 2019
  19. Absolutely do not see why we shouldn’t add this. Making it snow will give off that special Christmas mood and improve another aspect of the QoL. I really love the feature of being able to toggle it on or off in the preferences and generally how it’ll fit in very well into the new holiday lobby.
    With all that being said, I give this a +1
    ~BasicT

Posted Dec 21, 2019
  20. Hello,
    I think this would be a great way to help spread the holiday spirit during the holiday event! I definitely agree that it should be toggleable in prefs in order to prevent relentless lag for slower computers. As for the idea about snow sticking to the ground, I do not know how it would work for the players who have snow disabled. But, if it works for both parties, I would say go for it! I would like to add that, if this were to be added to prefs, there should be a pref added next to it to disable the noteblock music in hub for all events. I think if something small like this were to be implemented as a pref, the music should have a pref to disable as well. Thank you for suggesting this, I am going to give a big +1! Have a nice day!

Posted Dec 22, 2019