• 927 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9365 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Maze Game (name to be decided)

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by Sunny / Slash, Sep 23, 2019.

1. There's 24 players that start at Different parts of a huge maze. There are chests scattered around the maze that you can loot. Random mobs will spawn around the maze. In the middle of the maze is a small pillar with a end crystal on top, the one to break the crystal or the last one standing wins.

Kits:

Wolf Tamer - Every 30 seconds you gain 1 dog, you have a limit of 3 dogs at a time

Archer - Spawn with a bow and 3 arrows, gain 1 arrow every 30 seconds

Weak Warrior - Spawn with green leather armor and a stone sword (starter kit)

Achievements:

Maze breaker - Win by breaking the middle end crystal

Maze Killer - Kill 3+ players and win from being the last one standing

I couldn't come up with a name, so that's open to suggestions.

Posted Sep 23, 2019
  2. Although your idea is quite interesting, I think games that have mazes would cause some issues. People will end up memorizing the way to the middle, which would discourage new players and could become bland to experienced players. I also think the achievements could be a little more challenging as they seem relatively easy to achieve. Overall, I like the idea but it would be beneficial if you can find a concept that does not require mazes since they are bound to cause problems.

Posted Sep 23, 2019
    Sunny / Slash likes this.
  3. If there's 24 different places you can spawn, and a few different maps I don't believe this can be too much of a problem, and the achievements were just small ideas I had while making the game on paper last night. plus with the new player thing, you can't learn how to do something without playing it, its like cakewars, a new player will try to play without experience and be destroyed, but they still stay and get better. So I don't think thats to much of a problem.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 23, 2019
    AceSJus likes this.
  4. I think a maze game would be fun, as long as there are many different maps, so players can't memorize all of them. Maybe the name could be Maze Slayz?

Posted Sep 23, 2019
  5. So it's basically like a slightly changed replica of the old zombie pigman maze game mode? I can see that you've made some slight tweaks to how the game is played but to be honest still, it does sound quite like the 'monster maze' game mode from Mineplex. Not really sure if your intention was to make an advanced version of that or you actually thought this up, nonetheless I guess it does sound quite interesting.

- I guess the addition of 24 different spawn points, lootable chests, and a large maze would make it pretty cool. Kind of like the final tournament in the Harry Potter movie and book.

Posted Sep 23, 2019
    oeod and Sunny / Slash like this.
  6. I've only been on mineplex for a few months so this idea did come randomly. Its cool to know its something similar to something mineplex did before, And I probably without noticing it based it off of that harry potter book seeing as I was obsessed with the series in 2018. Anyways thanks for the input.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 23, 2019
  7. This game sounds quite fun to be honest. It's like Survival Games but with added twists. I think it would be even more cooler if you could choose to do duos with it, and you're team mate spawns on the other side of the map and you have to try you're best to team up.

Posted Sep 23, 2019
  8. If duo's were to be added like that it might be a bit complicated, you could spend half the game just trying to meet up with your team mate through the maze but then one of you die and their team mate will have wasted time that they could've used to make their way to the middle and kill other players, But if duos were to have it where you spawn with your team mate then that seems like it would work, and with duos there would be 18 players and 9 teams.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 25, 2019
  9. Yeah good point. I guess if they were spawned together that would make more sense. Good idea!

Posted Sep 25, 2019
  10. Overall, I'd have to disagree with this being added. I'll break down some reasons as to why.

Gameplay

The simple fact is that most people don't find mazes fun. They're very tedious to complete unless you know the route, and keeping track of where you've been and where you haven't been is near-impossible. I don't think this style of gameplay, even coupled with PvP aspects and the objective to break the end crystal, would appeal much to players.

However, it's worth noting that while a full-on maze is undesirable, the problem can be lessened if there are frequently open areas within the maze that allow for less restrictive combat.

Kits

In the narrow confines of a maze hallway, I definitely think an Archer kit may be unbalanced somewhat. It's much easier to shoot a target that can only strafe a couple blocks in any direction. Thankfully, you added in a generous 30 second arrow spawn cooldown, so the problem isn't as bad as it could be... but with 24 players, those initial three arrows are going to deal some serious damage to someone and put them in range of killing (if not outright kill). Other than that- and this isn't so much a flaw in the game design so much as something that was just left out- you didn't say what kind of gear the other two kits, Archer and Wolf Tamer, have.

Achievements

The "Maze Breaker" achievement seems reasonable, but also pretty easy. I'd recommend making the achievement require multiple "breakings" of the end crystal. Breaking it once seems too easy to me, but I could be wrong.

The "Maze Killer" achievement seems to conflict with the main purpose of the game: to break the end crystal and win. Odds are someone is going to reach the end crystal before 23 people die. Of course this depends on the size of the maze, but once again, you don't want to create a huge maze because that simply isn't fun.

Random Missing Features

There are a few missing things from the thread overall that I feel are important enough to note:

-Rewards for completing the achievements.
    -Gem, shard, and experience rewards for various things in the game (for example: how many gems per kill?).
    -The size/dimensions of the maze.
    -The kind of loot that can be found in chests.
    -The kind of mobs that will spawn around the maze.
    -The mechanics for how to use your tamed dogs (for example: do you right-click to get them to attack?).
    -How long the game lasts if neither of the objectives, killing everyone else or breaking the crystal, has been completed.
    -The gem cost of Archer and Wolf Tamer.
    -Any potential achievement kit.
    -The game category that it's in.

TL;DR

Obviously, I don't bring up these issues just to spite you or bring you down. I bring them up to hopefully help improve the idea. However, even with improvements and adding the missing things I noted, I simply don't think this idea has enough "flare" per se to be a good standalone game. I'm sure it would be fun in certain contexts, like events, but I don't see this being popular by itself or even in Mixed Arcade.

Posted Sep 25, 2019
  11. I'm going to try my best to respond, but half your points stumped me in trying to find a fix or an answer of how it works.

I was thinking the maze paths are always 2 - 3 blocks wide, this is so there's a enough room to possibly run by or dodge. There can be a few different maps to make it fun and cool to run around, and try to find the end crystal.

I was thinking the 2 other kits would be without armor since the leather armor is specific for warrior kit. Wolf tamer has the wold for protection which acts as a guard and weapon. The Archer has their bow and arrows to start which works as a good weapon in the maze. Since there are lootable chests around the maze a wolf tamer could eventually have way better armor than a warrior, and a archer better armor than wolf tamer, but it all depends on the loot they find.

Maybe it could be you have to break the middle end crystal 5 times before you get the Maze Breaker achievement. With Maze Killer it would be a first win thing to get the achievement since its harder to get, and achievements aren't supposed to be easy to get. The size of the maze I'm thinking of is 100 x 100 blocks.

with the missing features I was thinking mineplex could decide, I was originally just giving a suggestion, I have no plan of planning the whole game out, because its not completely under my control.

originally I was thinking Halloween event tbh, but then I noticed if it was going to be a Halloween event I would've had to mention it a few weeks ago. I tried to make it as interesting as I could for a stand alone game and tried to explain it to the best of my ability.

I hope I answered good enough, I gotta go to school now though.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 25, 2019
  12. Foolish reasoning, absolute peasant.
    This game sounds great, i like it

Posted Sep 25, 2019
    ClassN likes this.
  13. Okay, some feedback for you!
    I think it's a cool concept, maybe the mazes can be generated each time/change slightly every time to prevent memorization. It reminds me of our event map called Labyrinth. Basically get to the end, finish a parkour course, and win.
    Anyways, it's a cool concept but we did have monster maze already, which is similar.
    I think your idea of having it as a Halloween event would be interesting, but not as a full event probably. Like, maybe a section of the map? Or combine it with something else ie parkour so people don't get bored.
    Anyways will rate it a 0 for now since I'm not on either side right now, it could work as an event type thing maybe!

Posted Sep 25, 2019
  14. Maybe make the mazes randomized?

Posted Sep 25, 2019