• 2229 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4808 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Message box

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by pokyvessel52506, Dec 9, 2019.

?

Hows the idea?

1. +1

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. +0.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. +0

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. -0.5

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. -1

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I have this idea for a message box.

Message box:
    When you log on mineplex/transfer a game it will say how many messages you have. if you choose to go to your message list you can choose to reply, ignore or delete.
    if you hit reply you have to input a text and it will send the reply to the other persons message box, if you hit ignore you simply ignore it but it will still count as 1 message and if you hit delete it deletes the message from your box and it won't pop up anymore. you can also choose to start a conversation.

Conversations:
    You can choose up to 7 people to be in a conversation. the messages on conversations will also pop up on how many messages you have. to activate the conversation you want you would type /cmsg <Conversation name> to talk in the conversation you do > <Messege>.

How to activate:
    How to open message box: /msgb
    How to talk in conversations: > <Messege>

Tell me what you think!

Posted Dec 9, 2019
  2. Hello!

Ignoring the actually system itself, I don’t see this idea as very necessary. Although it may be hard to get in contact with a player that’s frequently offline when you’re online, there are many systems in place that help you communicate with people across the network. There’s party chat, private messaging, community chat, conversations on the forums, and messaging on discord. Although not all of those options may work for someone, chances are you’ll be able to reach people through at least one of these platforms. That being said, I don’t see the purpose of adding and entirely different messaging system.

Posted Dec 9, 2019
    Wrappingz likes this.
  3. Hey there!

I quite like the general idea that you're presenting here, but I have a few points that I want to talk about:

I think that it would be way easier if we simply added a system where if you message someone offline, the message will get forwarded to a "Message Box". The player logging in can view the message as a form of a message in chat (with a different style so we don't confuse them with an active conversation). The option to reply I think will be unnecessary as they can simply just message them back using the normal command /msg, the same goes with the ignore feature as they can simply use the command /ignore.

I can understand how a system with notifications can be helpful where if you ignore it, it would stay there and would alert you when you relog that you have an unread message and deleting the message. However, I think this would take lots of time to develop and as @saltyfishhy stated, they can simply use other alternatives to message them when they're offline like on discord or on the Mineplex Forums. I'm generally not opposed to the idea of delivering messages to offline players where when they relog, they can see it, but adding a notification system could take longer and I think is unnecessary.

I think this is very similar to our current community feature where you can create a community if you're an Eternal+. In communities, you can chat with players that are online and you can make it an invite-only where players can only join upon an invitation. Again, for that reason, I think it would be unnecessary as we already have a similar feature to this, except for the fact that you can't message offline players whilst chatting in communities.

Overall, I would love to see a feature where you can message offline friends through a message box system where they would be able to see the message sent when they log back in. However, adding a system where you can message privately with your friends is unnecessary as we already have a similar feature known as Communities.

Posted Dec 9, 2019
  4. Hey!

Some parts of this thread come off as a bit confusing to me, though I'll try to reply best I can (I'm on mobile sorry about formatting)

To start off, the general idea of a message box seems a bit unnecessary to me. There isn't much of a point for messaging players about games (which most people are doing on the server) and if it isn't about a game, players usually communicate via Discord. Discord is usually a lot more effective for communication as it can send the messages to one's phone, notify them via a small alert on a computer, and work on a number of devices as well as call people. I don't really see the point in a message box unless it relates to staff members or a competitive game of some sort, like CWCL.

Diving into specifics, your system is a lot like already existing features. The party system has this same conversation type thing and the only difference seems to be the player limit and the prefix for messaging. Otherwise it's just a party chat without being in the same game. Communities are also REALLY similar to this, with everyone being able to chat among unlimited players, private servers, and a simple interface. This supports the idea of a whole new messaging system being unneeded.

Lastly, the entirety of the sytem just seems so convoluted to me. I assume the interface would be something similar to a chest, and that the messages would look like little pieces of paper that one would need to click on to view a message. I could see myself personally getting a bit annoyed with this type of system. It just doesn't seem as sleek to me as the already existing chatting functions.

In addition to all of this, I don't think the development team would want to make this, nor would it be anywhere on priorities. I think I can speak for most players when I say that Mineplex doesn't need another chatting system that seems only to be a combination of party and community chat. Thanks for the idea, but -1.

Posted Dec 9, 2019
  5. Hello,

This is a cool idea you've come up with but I don't think it needs to be added, there are already multiple ways to communicate with members with private messages, communities and other things in-game I don't think we really need an online/offline mailbox system. It's a cool concept you've thought of here even though it probably won't be added but just a pat on the back for thinking of something like this.

It's going to be a +0, from me.

Happy suggesting,
    BlackConfig.

Posted Dec 9, 2019
  6. I've always really liked the idea of including a mail box feature on the server. I know a lot of players like to communicate with their friends and they may not always be online at the same time though. This forces them to move to other platforms like Discord or elsewhere. However, some players may not be interested in those platforms or even be allowed to use those. I think a mail box feature would be nice to include on the server, so players can message each other when they are offline. I've played on several servers that had mail boxes that players could access and I've liked using them with my friends.

I do think having conversations with up to 7 people may be too much. That seems like it could get really spammed with messages, especially if you went on vacation for a few days or just didn't get online for a bit. I think sticking with just 1 on 1 conversations would be the best option and then you could coordinate with others in other chats.

Obviously, we would need to have protection against spamming messages and a filter to prevent swearing and other inappropriate talk. If players were to abuse it, we would need to either make it punishable or find a way to remove their abilities to use the feature temporarily/permanently.

Posted Dec 13, 2019
  7. Thank you for bringing up this suggestion.

Although an in-game mail feature that can be used offline could be very convenient to have, it is unfortunately a violation of the EULA (End User License Agreement), which means we are prohibited from implementing such a feature. A similar idea has been denied in the past for the same reason, found here. Keep in mind that players can use platforms such as Discord and forums to communicate with others outside of the server, although I understand that it is not an option for everyone. Even if mail box messages can be seen when players are online, it would be redundant to add as there are already similar features to help communicate with others, such as parties and communities. Anyway, thank you for submitting this idea. We would love to see more more ideas from you in the future!

Not Planned

Posted Dec 13, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.