• 539 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2623 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mineplex Classic Tree Hub Redesign

Discussion in 'Build Showcase' started by Infernocus, May 7, 2019.

1. Welp.
    After years of wanting to make my own hub map, complaining of what we got last year, and procrastinating.
    I'm pleased to present my take on the tree hub that is heavily inspired by the original map.

[Work In Progress]

(All screenshots taken in moody brightness)

[​IMG]
    A return to the original tree design which has been my favorite for just how unique it is.

[​IMG]
    I turned the one little roof on the tree of the original map into a canopy which also allowed for great lighting.

[​IMG]
    I added this lake so I could place all 4 treasure chest spots, represent Mineplex with it's own M and for looks.

[​IMG]
    Staff hill now has a swing for two.

[​IMG]
    This entire (incomplete) map is meant to shine at night as well.

[​IMG]
    Even the small house got a redesign, but it's still square shaped from a view of the top.

[​IMG]
    Here is a rough idea of what the entire map is supposed to be like. There are several other things
    from previous iterations of the hub that will also be here like the all the parkours, gladiators. etc..

[​IMG]
    One last thing. This is what the giant jungle tree location will look like with the trees being on top of these thin mountains.

Album Link: https://imgur.com/a/GCGo0t2

Edit 1: Switched to Jungle biome and added more hidden glowstone to the tree for less shadows.
    Revised Album Link: https://imgur.com/a/LtHMCcl

Notes: My goal for this map is to add a sense of wonder, mystery and exploration, but with all the same old stuff just reimagined and expanded on. I even thought what if there could be events within the map to get players to explore and be closer as a community such as a weekly bonfire at the currently non-existent beach at sunset, summer based activities or other areas for different holidays.

This all may probably most likely be a bit too much, but a guy can dream, right?

Posted May 7, 2019,
    Last edited May 8, 2019
    Sokhi and SpitefulNick like this.
  2. Heyo!
    For the most part I really like this idea for the hub revamp, however, I do have some concerns me is the main tree has a lot of shadows which is a lighting issue that causes lag to lower-end computers. I will say my favorite part of this build is the M with stone and the background of it that is just super cool! Overall, I like your viewpoints but I just don't feel the need for a new hub at the moment.

~Cheers

Posted May 7, 2019
    Dulciloquy and Danese like this.
  3. Hello there,
    Absolutely stunning build you've presented. I really like the thought process and detail you've shown in your idea and honestly I'd like to see this in game at one point. The swampy theme is very unique and I don't think I've ever seen an idea similar to this; However, I feel like rather than this being a hub for everyday use, it could be used for special events like Halloween. I feel like it gives off a very scary vibe that I really do appreciate but as of right now the hub does seem pretty fine as it stands. But keep it up, I'm very interested to see what else you have to offer with your builds; they look outstanding!

Posted May 8, 2019
    doeo likes this.
  4. The screenshots were all taken in moody settings and I myself have a pretty potatoish pc, getting around 60-70fps (1 with shaders). My fps does go down to the 20-30s on Mineplex. I'll add more light as I would want a daylight cycle to be added, but as someone who's had much much worse pcs in the past, you're probably better off turning off smooth lighting at that point.

Glad you liked my ideas and I'm actually more relieved to hear that it may not be time for a new hub because this is going to take a lot longer than I'd like it to. I am however doing this aswell because our current hub is one that's already been here awhile and it's gotten a little stale imo (mean no disrespect to the builders).
    --- Post updated ---
    Thanks! Hmm if it's coming off a little too scary I'm probably going to have to add more lighting on the tree. I was going for more of a jungle mixed in with the plains look of the outer part of the island, but the more I compare it to a jungle swamp, I see what you mean. I could change the biome to jungle instead to brighten the colors and of course add much more lighting. By the time I'm done with this (which is going to be awhile), I'm sure some ppl may want a new hub :p

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 8, 2019
  5. Wow, very astonishing! I love the look of spookiness and the detail put into everything including the paths to different places lined by water. However my issue is like TeaSpillers, it's kind of hard to see everything when it's so dark. If there were pictures of daylight and night vision to see past the shadows it would look really great I'm sure. I loved the old tree hub and think that this recreation is really great. Good job!

Posted May 8, 2019
  6. Literally in the midst of uploading the new screenshots I took which include much less shadows on the tree and jungle biome theme instead of plains. I have the images in different times of days just to show off the lightning in different scenarios, but I clearly didn't do a good job with shadows around the tree.

oh right, thanks.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 8, 2019,
    Last edited May 8, 2019
    oeod likes this.
  7. After all these years you have made your very own stunning map! I’m very pleased for you. I can see how much time and detail you have put into your work as it looks incredible. Could do with a little more lighting and it would be perfect!

Posted May 10, 2019
  8. Thanks, still got ways to go and I'll keep working on the lighting.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 10, 2019
  9. Looks great and I can imagine the finished map would be tons of fun to explore.

Posted May 10, 2019
  10. Hey! I love the look of the hub you've redesigned, it's taken the old hub and basically given it a makeover. In my opinion I would be quite happy with the hub being changed to this as it really does look great. However as people have mentioned before the lighting could be an issue, keeping it permanently day could fix this thought. Overall I do love the look of it, good job dude!

Posted May 10, 2019
  11. I have a huge appreciation for talent like this, it's amazing to see large builds with such detail. Really awesome job! kinda reminds me of the avatar tree.

Posted May 11, 2019
  12. Oh wow. I actually like the tree that is being used right now but this map looks generally nice. How long did it take for you?
    Good job! :p

Posted May 11, 2019
  13. Hey there!
    First off I love your tree that you made! In addition, I think it’s great how you’ve managed to make the terrain look awesome aswell.

Posted May 11, 2019
    neotheater likes this.
  14. Hey!
    This look simply amazing! I would definitely want to see you re-design some more things from Mineplex! The hub re-design looks amazing at night time, but I'm just a little curious of what it would look like at daytime. Maybe a good addition for Halloween?

Posted May 11, 2019
  15. Very nice builds; however, I don't think we need a new hub at the moment. c:

Posted May 11, 2019,
    Last edited May 12, 2019
  16. I really like this hub and I hope this is added in a revamp but with fixed lighting so lower end pc's don't lag too bad.

Posted May 11, 2019
  17. Thank you for the feedback and compliments. I should let you all know that I’m building this with wanting a day/night cycle added in mind to keep the map more interesting whether you’d want to see the sunlight keep the skies bright with the summer feel or see the map glow with the moon and stars at night. I do get that this could cause lag for some, but I think it’s a worthy trade off and players who do get more lag can always turn off smooth lighting and other graphical settings. Either way, I’m still adding more light to the map.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 11, 2019
    Danese likes this.
  18. With all the vines and smaller ponds it feels like a swamp / marsh type of theme which is something we don't have a lot of. I like the way it looks, kind of 'run down' or 'overgrown' feeling to it while still maintaining some natural beauty with the plants, grass, and light sources. I've always liked darker maps too (nighttime or just a lot of shade), so it's a shame that low lighting can cause issues. I can tell you put a lot of work into the map so far, awesome job!

Posted May 11, 2019
    Danese likes this.
  19. This is an extremely interesting thread, and a build that I was extremely surprised to see. The title had me a little shaken at first. The thought of someone wanting the hub that people have been begging for to be redesigned was shocking. However, after looking at the thread, and what you've made, I have a few comments.

Firstly, I liked a lot of the ideas you have in your builds. The M made of stone is extremely cool, and a little swampy area for that would be interesting. Along with that, the giant jungle tree location would be intriguing, and I'd be looking forward to how you make that into the map.

To be a tad brief, I enjoyed looking at your build of a redesign, however, I like the hub. My thoughts at this time are that some of your ideas should be IMPLEMENTED but not completely REPLACE the map. This is my opinion at the moment, as i haven't seen anything that truly makes me go 'wow'. But you haven't finished the map, and I don't want to make a solid, final decision without seeing your completed product.

Posted May 11, 2019
  20. This is a really cool concept dude! I'm inspired myself to do some organics now LMAO
    I have a major time trying to build hubs or anything of that sort of scale, so this is really impressive to me XD
    Nice going!

Posted May 12, 2019