• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 10521 Players Online
  • 7631 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mineplex | Hackers

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Paladise, May 29, 2020.

?

Which idea(s) do you like?

1. 1. Improve Gwen

2. 2. Expand Staff team

3. 3. Require staff to respond to StaffRequest

4. 4. Automatic forum reporting

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Punishing rule-breakers is one of our main jobs, however what was being pointed out was that for a lot of staff members it's not their only job. I personally am not on any sub-teams, so at the moment finding and punishing rule-breakers is something I do a lot more than someone who is on multiple sub-teams, and therefore has to dedicate time towards those sub-teams. Also, I don't think any staff member has said that punishing cheaters is not our job, it's just that for a lot of staff members, it's not their only job.

Posted May 29, 2020
  2. I assure you that staff members are doing their best. As for your ideas. Yes Gwen could be improved and i believe that is being worked on. I do not agree with your second idea as the process is there to make sure that the people who are staff are really going to help. For your third idea, I do not think this should be a thing as many staff have other responsibilities as well as banning hackers and i can assure you that they are all doing the best they can. I myself am a bedrock player so staff request is not a thing as far as I’m aware. Your final point I have to completely disagree with you. There would be players who would make a forums account just to file hundreds of forums so players get false banned. This would just cause major problems.

I know my points are short but that is my opinion.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to PM me.

Posted May 29, 2020
  3. I have no doubt any staff member isn't doing their best, I'm saying they should do their jobs differently with more focus on banning hackers, what's wrong with that suggestion? It's like every time I mention that on the forums a bunch of staff members come to the forum and become extremely defensive.

Posted May 29, 2020
  4. Are they doing their best though?
    Lets take a look at two staff request experiences I've had within the past two days. The first happened in clans, where someone (a hacker) was obviously using some form of anti-afk script or hack (against the rules) in order to get twenty hours and go play (hack) on hardcore. I go to staff request and ask for staff, two staff members come on and say that they can't ban for anti-AFK, they'd have to record and report, and I should just do that. However, I did not want to do that nor could I. I try and get them to come and record yet get no response. I ask around the clans server seeing if anyone is willing to record, yet no one is. I ask in staff request and still get no response. An argument breaks out about whether staff should have to respond to reports and be in staffrequest to which the staff member comes in, and explains that they'll kick me if I continue arguing. The staff member is that active in the chat talking with me, but when I ask for them to come record they ignore my response (By saying they're not required to respond and that they aren't ignoring me). While they could have just been "busy" doing secret staff things, it seems odd that they're willing to quell arguments about the effectiveness of staff but not show it.
    The second event happened pretty much right after this, I go into lobby one and see three staff members talking with community members and using gadgets. At the same time, two people talk in staff request, each reporting a different hacker. There is no response. The three mods keep talking. I ask about a minute later, is there any staff, to which one staff member replies (wasn't one of the three in the lobby of course). Who knows if the other person even got their hacker dealt with, but for sure they shouldn't have had to wait as there were plenty of staff online.

While staff request isn't "official" I think it should be. It makes no sense to allow mods to just sit inactive and ignore players requests for help, or just not see them entirely. If people want to use the argument that staff have "other jobs" I'd like to know what those are (but I'm sure I won't as those are "confidential").

Posted May 29, 2020
    Johnny Welamton likes this.
  5. I mean they could have been helping another player or something but quickly sent you a warning because you were flooding staff request with your argument.

Posted May 29, 2020
  6. They had the time to talk with multiple people and argue, but not hop into a lobby and stop a hacker from getting to hardcore.

Posted May 29, 2020
  7. Yeah but they might have been helping someone in a lobby and they couldn't change lobbies because that player wouldn't be able to contact them after.

Posted May 29, 2020
  8. The fact is my request was ignored three times by staff members who for sure saw it twice. They gave no excuse for why they didn't come, only passed it off as my job to deal with the hacker. If staff request was made an official community, with all staff requiring to be in it, people would have less trouble finding active staff. Staff request is the only viable method of getting hackers banned, and is hindered by a lack of officialness.

Posted May 29, 2020
  9. I'm going to say this one more time and then I'm unwatching this thread, the staff members could have been helping someone, they might have seen it but not been available.

Posted May 30, 2020
  10. I agree with the first and second ideas, however it would take a lot of time and effort to make them happen and I don't know that Mineplex has enough time or resources for it. Someone would have to actually know what they're doing to reprogram GWEN, and for some games, the changes might be likely to falsely kick/ban people. I'll use Super Smash Mobs as an example. I'm pretty sure that they turned GWEN's power down on this anyways. People hack in this every day and a lot of time, GWEN won't catch it unless it's something really severe like extreme KA. I see people using kits like skelly and iron golem flying across the sky all the time on this, and they don't ever get caught by GWEN, even after multiple games. Hackers probably get away with more on SSM than on any other game mode. GWEN has to be more lenient because certain kits like spider or wolf might get falsely accused for speed hacks because these two kits can run at super sonic speed. On the other hand, it might think that people are flying if they double jump too much or they use one of their recoveries. Chicken would especially be prone to this because their recovery allows them to remain in the air for long periods of time.

And then there's the extra staff thing. This sounds like a good idea, until you realise that there would have to be many people who want to apply. I think that's already the case, but not everyone who applies gets accepted. If everyone were to get accepted just to fill staff needs for this, then there would probably be more lower quality staff, which really wouldn't solve any problems. Besides that, hiring many more staffs would probably be strenuous on the people who conduct the interviews.

TL;DR: Ideas 1 and 2 are the ones that I agree with the most, however it might not be practical to go this way, mostly on account of lack of resources and the new GWEN not being effective with every game.

Posted May 30, 2020
  11. Continuing to deny the problem at hand [and various subsequent solutions] makes Mineplex look foolish at this point. Everyone with a brain knows no solutions will be "simple" and will require intervention. Mind you, Mineplex has lost 40k players and I'm sure 90% of them would have complained about the hacker situation, so you'd think resolving this issue would be a priority for Mineplex. Unfortunately, it isn't for the majority of moderation staff, it isn't for the development team, and it isn't for the leadership team.

Side note, it actually blows my mind how most staff members act inconvenienced to have to punish hackers and genuinely don't care about doing so. I know most are on subteams (even though many are useless teams like Karaoke hosting, streams, etc), but if you think from the perspective of the community, which activity is more beneficial to the community overall? Is it more effective if staff members use their time to better gameplay, which is what the community cares about and stays for, or if they focus most of their time on posterior, behind-the-scenes activities that don't end up impacting what the community cares about? A mod can spend all the time they want on 6 subteams, but the community won't care or benefit if it's all superficial and won't actually impact their in-game experience.

This thread wasn't an invitation for you to pick apart. Nor was it to say "I understand your frustration, but all of these solutions are bad because they aren't easy." Stop denying the problem at hand and make solutions a priority. I know the majority of the staff team isn't seriously concerned about hackers, but the community is--and that should be prioritized over any other useless activity that isn't getting important anything done. 40k players don't just vanish for no reason, and I'm sure you can guess almost everyone's #1 complaint about Mineplex.

Posted May 30, 2020,
    Last edited Jun 2, 2020
  12. I think that another thing that would be useful to add is to let everyone report in game. Not just Ledgend+ or whatever it is. When I report ingame, my reports are usually accepted fairly quickly, even the hacker ones even though I don't have any proof of them lol. But I think it would be a major step in the right direction if we gave everyone the ability to do this regardless of whether they have a rank or not. Some people don't know how to report on the forums and it's sometimes a major chore to screenshot/record evidence then convert it to an acceptable file THEN upload it.

Posted May 30, 2020
  13. Hey!

Like a lot of other players, I think that GWEN should be improved. Now, my main reasoning behind this is that I don't really consider it to be the best anti-cheat. At times, yes it gets the job done but I definitely think it could be improved a whole lot. From my point of view, most of the hackers I encounter in lobbies get banned from staff members, rather than GWEN itself. Secondly, if GWEN did a much better job, I feel like it would give staff members a better opportunity to improve other aspects of Mineplex. For example, instead of requesting a staff member to punish a player in a lobby, they could be doing other kinds of staff work such as helping players with questions/concerns in lobbies. Overall, I definitely think that Mineplex should work more towards fixing GWEN, especially how it would benefit both the staff team and the community.

Posted May 30, 2020
  14. I know this is a controversial topic among the Mineplex community. I'm going to answer your four points from the perspective of an ex-staff member and the insight I have acquired from the last few months as a community member.

1. Improve GWEN.

GWEN certainly isn't the world's best anti-cheat, no doubt about it. However, the staff on Mineplex are doing their best to make up for it. The reality is that Mineplex can't just hire developers to improve GWEN out of nowhere, as these development positions are professional positions that require years of specialized experience. I can assure you that for the time being, staff on Mineplex are doing their best to improve GWEN (or at least make up for it). Don't get me wrong though -- GWEN can definitely be improved.

2. Expand the staff team.

Mineplex would certainly benefit from having more staff members, but there's a cost to that too. Recruitment and/or Staff Management may need to promote more members to keep up with the growing staff team, and not to mention the staff team's standards as a whole would have to be lowered in order to allow for a larger staff team. I don't think this is the way to go to. Instead, there should be some kind of system in place to allow the reporting process to be expedited, which I'll talk about below.

3. Require staff to respond to StaffRequest.

I could see why you'd think this is a good idea, and believe me -- it is. However, the way that the staff team functions does not exactly work well with this idea. There are many staff members who have other time-sensitive duties on the network, and to hold them accountable for StaffRequest reports could overwhelm them. There is an overarching mission of providing excellent customer service on the staff team, but I don't think that forcing the use of StaffRequest would accomplish this. This is a good concept though, and I trust that the staff team will do what's necessary for the server.

4. Automatic forum reporting.

I understand your idea here, but I don't think that automating the report process would improve it. Instead, it may cause confusion. I do like your idea though, and I believe that instead /report should be implemented as a server-wide command to give a similar expedited reporting process.

Overall, I understand your ideas and I agree with you on most of your points. I have been experimenting with a potential way to address these problems, and I think that with the proper solution Mineplex could put an end to nearly all hackers on the server which would allow all the players to have the best experience that they deserve.

Posted May 30, 2020
    Johnny Welamton and ripnick™ like this.
  15. If staff members primary goal isn't to ban hackers, then what should it be. Mineplex has a hacker problem, thats undeniable, and the current method of ?????? doesn't seem to work. As I've said multiple times, staff request is the only viable option to get hackers banned, and allowed for staff to not be in it and ignore it just leads to staff doing god knows what while players suffer.

Posted May 30, 2020
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  16. Banning hackers is definitely one of the primary duties of Mineplex staff, no doubt about it. I'm not going to argue that there's no room for improvement, because there definitely is. But, improvement is not going to come with StaffRequest. StaffRequest is great. Truly, it is — I will never deny that. It has enabled players to communicate server-wide with staff members. But at the end of the day, StaffRequest is an in-game community, which means there's no way of logging the reports players make. Because of this, it's easy for somebody's report to go unanswered. StaffRequest is not an official reporting system for a reason, because it's not perfect. This is only one side of it, though. I'm sure you know that most staff have other sub-teams or duties to take care of, which leaves them with limited in-game time. If Mineplex developed a new, more effective way of reporting players, then I would make the argument that staff should be required to use it. As for StaffRequest though, it's not an official tool for a reason and requiring staff to use it would be problematic.

Posted May 30, 2020
    Johnny Welamton and ripnick™ like this.
  17. Why not make some small changes to staff request and then have that be the default reporting method. Currently there's /report (no idea how that even works) which seems not be be very effective.

Posted May 30, 2020
    TheEthan_Pro and Dudeguy like this.
  18. I see where you are coming from, but we are not robots, we have other things to do minus banning hackers, we are busy at times just like everyone else. Forcing staff into StaffRequest is overall, not a very good idea, and I for one, would not like to see it happen.

Posted May 30, 2020
    Dudeguy likes this.
  19. Of course you have other duties besides banning hackers, who's denying that? But staffrequest is the best way to report hackers. Sure there are /report and forum reports but those takes hours and even days to get answered.

Posted May 30, 2020
  20. We try our best to answer reports, if you aren't denying that we have other duties, you shouldn't be annoyed with staff who do not answer StaffRequest reports quickly. I try my best to get reports done but it's very difficult when you need to also get other things done., not to mention staff members on a subteam, their duties are specialized and need time to be dedicated to it. On top of all this, majority of the staff team have subteams that they work on.

Posted May 30, 2020